Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 05:31 PM

59 posts, read 146,174 times

Advertisements

Aloha. To update, house sold on 6/6, will retire on 6/13, and will fly with spouse to Kauai on 6/17. Need to buy a good used car (don't believe in buying new and giving dealers that fat profit just because no one else drove the car before). Two questions:
1. Is there a special tax on the purchase of cars (based on cost or weight or other) that I should factor into the sales price?
2. Any recommendations on a good dealer who sells good or certified used cars?

Mahalo for any help you can provide.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 09:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaletjo View Post
1. Is there a special tax on the purchase of cars (based on cost or weight or other) that I should factor into the sales price?
No, just the GET, based on purchase price, at 4.712% on Oahu or 4.166% in other counties.

Registration costs are based on weight class.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:05 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Your best bet is to fly over to Oahu and buy there and ship it over via barge. Not only is the selection much better, but so are the prices.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:34 AM

Mahalo, OpenD and mdand3boys. Both helpful replies, and they point out the fact that this should not be a difficult or complex undertaking (unlike the process of selling one's house and relocating one's life to Kauai). Will proceed with the info you have provided. Much appreciated.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:12 PM

521 posts, read 733,331 times
I don't think I would but a used car here. I only ever bought lightly used on the mainland but cars aren't taken care of here in general compared to the mainland. The weather eats away at them and it doesn't appear people give the same TLC to their cars here. My husband goes to CA for work every few months and he found one there and shipped it over. Otherwise like pp said you are better off going to Oahu. Better prices since more competition.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:22 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,996 times
I agree that the selection of used cars on Kauai isn't great, but that's mostly because it has a small population. There are clean cars and there are beaters just as anywhere on the mainland. You can find a decent car if you have the time to look. If you only have a rental for one week or two, you may not find what suits you.

There is a used car dealership next to the Costco gas station in Puhi, and another one (the used outlet of one of the new car dealers) on the strip in Kapaa, between cost-u-less and big save. At least the dealer ones look clean and come with 60 or 90 day warranties.

I don't think it's worth traveling to Oahu just for a car. I have considered it for a specific make and model, but never went through with it. If you have an interim car and you travel to Oahu or the mainland, it MAY be worth your time to find the ideal car. And then you have the benefit of knowing your driving needs on Kauai already. But who wants to spend a few days of vacation responding to ads and setting up car shipping? I guess you could look at craigslist before you leave and set up your appointments ahead of time.

Ultimately, I would've recommended picking the right car on the mainland before your move, and shipping it over. You can get a better car (more time and bigger selection on the mainland), more suited to your island needs, and then it's already waiting for you when you arrive.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:01 PM

104 posts, read 171,361 times
I partially agree with KauaiHiker. I have bought three cars in Kauai and except for one (I bought it to restore it, but that's another story) There are very good prices, if you have cash, from individual sellers that are selling because they are moving off island. I bought a 2000 Dodge Caravan for $1000 but had to put in $500 in parts and labor (radiator, water pump, and alternator) Total cost, with no sales tax, $1500. I did buy new tires at Costco (tires are expensive in Kauai) Then I bought a 1999 Toyota Camry for $950 and put in about $400 to get it running perfect. There is one problem with someone like you however. I know people on the island that work on cars, both mechanically and body work. All relatives. However, I still would check out CL and check out some prices. Forget Oahu. btw, both my cars are "island cars" meaning, a little rust, but not much, a few dents, but not much. And they both passed safety inspection, that is, tires, brakes, lights, glass, etc.
Also, you are picking a good day to move to Kauai. It's my birthday! lol
Eddie

Old 06-16-2014, 05:47 AM

Mahalo for all the good advice (and a happy birthday to Eddie!). Gonna try to keep it local (to help the local economy). If I go to a used-car dealer and get a certified car, many times they let you buy a warranty (one-year?) for a little extra. We are now retired and probably won't be doing much driving, so having a dealer to go back to if the car has a problem may be worth the few extra dollars. Gonna try the used car dealers in Puhi and Kapaa that were suggested. Mahalo nui loa.

Last edited by kaletjo; 06-16-2014 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: misspelled Puhi

Old 07-04-2014, 04:21 AM

104 posts, read 171,361 times
So how did the move go? Get a car yet? My wife and I are going to Kauai on Wed. (July 9) Current tenants moving out July 15. We come back to the mainland July 25. Will do some minor work on the house and then put it up for rent.
My birthday went great, thank you. But Father's Day was even better a couple days earlier.
Kapaa here we come
Eddie

Old 07-11-2014, 06:33 PM

31 posts, read 62,444 times
He must be having a good time! No time for computers. Looking forward to hearing about the move and car purchase...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
View detailed profiles of: