Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,274 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know about propane gas-fueled clothes dryers on Kauai? The propane dryer we have now is kaput. We need to replace it. Do we buy a natural gas dryer and have it converted to propane? Any information about the cost of having this done? What about sources for having this conversion to propane done? We're arranging this from afar, so your help would be greatly appreciated. Deb
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 06:11 PM

749 posts, read 852,212 times
Here in Maui it costs apx $125 to convert a natural gas dryer to use propane and needs to be done by a 'certified tech', any place that sells the gas dryers could probably tell you where to find the techs to do the conversion.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:48 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,401 times
Replacing a gas dryer: been there, done that. You have 2 options: buy used on island (craigslist or garage sale) and it's already set up for propane, or buy new (Home Depot or Kmart Appliances--took over from Sears) and have someone convert it as tdr22 said. If you buy new, the propane conversion kit and instructions should be included (though be sure to ask).

If you buy used, there is a guy named Tashi in Kapaa who buys up broken dryers, fixes them, paints over the rust, and sells them on craigslist (you'll see the all caps ads). Avoid him if you can as he sold us a real POS (it runs, but is otherwise horrendous--paint over flaking rust, mismatched lint filter doesn't fit, smelly and moldy when delivered). He does deliver and install the dryer (and take your old one as trade-in to fix up and resell), so if you end up needing his services, make sure you know what he's installing for you. Being off-island, he may, unfortunately, be your only option to get up and running again.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
I'm curious - as I'm sure are others following this thread - why would someone want to use a propane dryer as opposed to a regular electric dryer - it isn't like they use that much electricity, especially when you take into account the cost to convert and get propane tanks - do they dry clothes better? I've always found my electric dryer to do the job well.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:19 PM

749 posts, read 852,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'm curious - as I'm sure are others following this thread - why would someone want to use a propane dryer as opposed to a regular electric dryer - it isn't like they use that much electricity, especially when you take into account the cost to convert and get propane tanks - do they dry clothes better? I've always found my electric dryer to do the job well.
Some condos here in Maui have propane and water, sewer, trash included in the monthly condo fee, so it is basically "free" whereas electricity, as you know, cost is outrageous without the whole solar panel set up. Anyhow that is just my guess.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:55 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
In mainland locations, a general rule of thumb is that gas dryers cost about a quarter to dry a load, while electric dryers cost about a buck a load. For that difference, the extra cost of a gas dryer purchase over an electric dryer usually has a payback of only a few months.

In Hawai'i, the cost of electricity from the utility company costs about 3X the mainland rate, but then again, so does the cost per therm of propane, so the cost spread is about the same unless you have solar energy.

Qualitatively, gas dryers run at a hotter temperature than electric dryers, so they dry dense items like towels faster.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Hmmmm, they have energy efficient energy star dryers for sale in Hawaii. I doubt it isn't much different than gas. Or, get solar. And high efficiency dryers use less detergent.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Hmmmm, they have energy efficient energy star dryers for sale in Hawaii. I doubt it isn't much different than gas.
They also have Energy Star gas dryers as well.

Overall, however, the biggest bang for your buck is in having high-speed spin in your washer, which will extract more water before it goes in the dryer. The less water in the cloth to begin with, the less heat energy is required to remove what's left.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:22 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,637 times
Quote:
And high efficiency dryers use less detergent.
My dryer uses zero detergent. You must be talking about dry cleaning. We take that to the shop.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:11 PM

5 posts, read 11,422 times
To anyone relocating to Kauai and planning on renting, I think it should be pointed out that many housing complexes only allow electricity as fire safety precaution, or at least thatʻs the excuse I was given. Most Princeville condo associations only allow electricity and have covenants against drying clothes outdoors. No gardening allowed. No bicycle parking supplied.

Electricity costs about $160 for our 2 bedroom condo. We are VERY frugal with lights and use LEDs, keep our water heater at a level that is just hot enough to wash dishes and rinse so they will air dry. Most laundry loads are cold water. I bought an electric tea kettle and a small Foreman grill to avoid using the electric stove. We bake about bimonthly. No A/C, but we leave the high ceiling fan on non-stop to keep the heat from collecting in the rafters and creating a tinderbox for the person who sleeps upstairs. We use personal fans when there are no trades.

Food from local grocery stores is very expensive, but a 60 mile round trip drive to Costco can eat up savings if you go too often. Gas on the North Shore is always much more expensive than Costco. So itʻs all a matter of weighing one against the other.

My advice to someone trying to decide what you should leave behind and what you should bring along boils down to this. Plan on disruption. Take items you donʻt use regulary out the cupboards and drawers and put them in containers. Only return them ro their usual place them once theyʻve been used. Keep track of how many times theyʻre used. If they arenʻt something you really use or know have a purpose seasonally, get rid of them. Donʻt leave behind your favorite items thinking you can replace them here. Often you canʻt. Iʻve been here for a long time and have worn nothing but sandals and slippahs. Leave you warm clothes behind. Itʻs always summer. Bring along a light jacket and sweater. And an umbrella!

This island has the population of a medium mainland town whose population is spread across the entire island. There isnʻt a store in every town that carries what youʻre looking for! Macyʻs carries better quality household goods, and its a small store. What you want has to be shipped from a large land mass. Selection is a thing of the past. You get what Macyʻs and Costco has to offer, although you can order online. Kmart and Walmart are your next tier of suppliers, with an impending ROSS and new Cost Plus. Sears packed up and left the island over a year ago. Thatʻs pretty much life as we know it. Be prepared for shopping shock!

There is one family owned movie theater, in Lihue. Concession prices are surprisingly reasonable for a theater. The fast food chains are scarce. Watch for food trucks instead and try something new!

If you are prepared to adjust to eating at local restaurants, finding people who will steer you toward the business youʻre looking for, and will relax while it all takes its sweet time to happen, youʻll do great here.

There is no freeway and few stop lights. Itʻs mostly 2 lane roads filled with cars. No point in tailgating. Traffic has its own flow. Youʻre coming here, YOU adjust to the life youʻre choosing for yourself. Donʻt expect it to be the same life you left behind. Donʻt want it to be the same. Enjoy the slow and relaxed pace while youʻre alive. Youʻre leaving where you now live for a reason!

Youʻre moving to Paradise. Donʻt spoil it for others. Please donʻt be a jerk more than rarely. Be kind and courteous and loving. Be generous in the most basic of ways. Slow down and let local drivers pull out into the flow of traffic. Residents need to get to work, home to their kids, to the store for milk, to the hardware for a job.

This is what Iʻve learned living on Kauai. I hope itʻs helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai