Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2020, 01:03 PM

17,739 posts, read 13,547,710 times

Advertisements

This is a very interesting story.

I visited the cemetery when I was in Richmond on a business trip.

https://www.jpost.com/judaism/a-jewi...-ground-637954

Quote:
He was an Israelite; and although a number of his people who were in the army were granted leave of absence to attend upon the ceremonies of the ‘Fast of Atonement,’ which is a season of release from all labor, the Feast of Tabernacles closely following, yet he asked no leave, considering that in performing his duty to his country, he worshiped his God in an acceptable manner.”
The funeral services, the report concludes, were performed by the Rev. Max Michelbacher of Richmond’s Beth Ahavah Congregation. The Jewish American History Foundation contains copies of Gen. Robert E. Lee’s responses to various requests made by Rev. Michelbacher on behalf of Jewish soldiers.

Despite their heroic service, several military cemeteries including the one in Fredericksburg, Virginia, refused to permit Jewish soldiers to be buried with their comrades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 01:40 PM

4,119 posts, read 1,905,836 times
Quote:
Despite their heroic service, several military cemeteries including the one in Fredericksburg, Virginia, refused to permit Jewish soldiers to be buried with their comrades.
I think it may have been more likely that it was the Jewish families themselves that refused to permit these burials in the non-Jewish, military cemeteries. Even the Jewish military cemetery described in the linked article was created under the auspices of a Jewish congregation -- not a military entity. Additionally, practicing Jews are expected to be buried in Jewish cemeteries -- which do not accept Gentile burials except under certain circumstances involving close family relations of the deceased.

There is a historic section in Arlington National Cemetery that was specially set aside for five Jewish soldiers who fought for the Union Army during the Civil War. Nowadays, however, there are many Jews buried in military cemeteries alongside of Gentiles (my own parents are among them). But over a hundred years ago in the U.S., I'm not so sure this was the case (due to mutually agreed-upon religious separation).

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 08-09-2020 at 02:07 PM..

Old 08-09-2020, 04:43 PM

19,342 posts, read 17,247,361 times
I've known about this cemetery for years but it was the establish Hebrew Cemetery of the city. Like their Christian counterparts did an area was designated during the Civil War for the internment of Confederate Solders of the faith.

Wikipedia has a good picture of it.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cemete...erate_Soldiers

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 08-09-2020 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: Corrected "Cemetery" :)

Old 08-11-2020, 05:22 AM

43,947 posts, read 44,733,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
This is a very interesting story.

I visited the cemetery when I was in Richmond on a business trip.

https://www.jpost.com/judaism/a-jewi...-ground-637954
Interesting! Thanks for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism