Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 12:01 PM

6 posts, read 2,685 times

Advertisements

hello,
I was contacted by a relative of a friend of mine (booth of which are observing Orthodox Jews) to help him with an inheritance (in his words) "as he needs a gentile".

I have known my friend for over 30 years and have worked for him and his Father in one or the other capacity. I have accommodated him and his family in various ways such as pressing Elevators , turning on Dishwashers, etc. during Sabbath and Jewish holidays (while under his employment as well as while not under his employment).

My Friends Cousin I have known for about 20 years and have worked for him as an IT consultant as a favor for a very low fee. This phone call came as a surprise as we are not close and we have had no contact for over 10 years.

As I understand form this short phone conversation the Father passed away and some money shall pass from them to me and back to them. I also was told that I was to be compensated with a small fee for my troubles but no specific where mentioned.

I am not religious and always made it very clear to my religious friends that I am not. I was raised in a secular protestant society with a keen awareness of the achievements of "the religious wars" (to be able to live free from religious persecution).

I would like to know what my proper behavior would be in this situation from a religious and non religious Jewish perspective.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 12:45 PM

19,342 posts, read 17,247,361 times
It sounds like the father made provisions for you in his will and they were just letting you know. Your statement "some money shall pass from them to me and back to them" sounds like they are taking your inheritance. If Handled by a lawyer they will contact you if not the family member may, either way if asked to sign papers ensure you understand them or have your attorney read them.

Inheritance and families can get sticky regardless of what faith they practice good luck.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:19 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,281,921 times
Ask for the name of the lawyer who is entering the will to be probated (I assume it is being probated, otherwise, find out who the executor is going to be based on the Small Estate Process in whatever state the will is filed). There is nothing touching on Judaism or Jewish law apparent from what you wrote.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:51 PM

VA Yankee
I do not think that the Father has made any provisions for me. Wouldn't i have been told? The son told me that I'll be meeting with him and a Rabby. Could this have to do with getting around inheritance tax (i am Swiss and are not familiar with US inheritance Tax Law).
I am worried that I might get into legal difficulties by doing this favor.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:08 AM

rosends
The Son wanted to rush me to meet with him and a Rabbi today saying it would only take 10minutes of my time. Who could wade through the paperwork in 10 Minutes? If this doesn't touch Jewish Law why did his son mention that they need a Gentile to do this?

Could the Rabbi be the Lawyer handling the probate?
thanks

Old 07-24-2020, 04:36 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,281,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750 View Post
rosends
The Son wanted to rush me to meet with him and a Rabbi today saying it would only take 10minutes of my time. Who could wade through the paperwork in 10 Minutes? If this doesn't touch Jewish Law why did his son mention that they need a Gentile to do this?

Could the Rabbi be the Lawyer handling the probate?
thanks
I can't think of any reasonable reason that one would "need a Gentile" or that one would process his will through a rabbi and not a lawyer. There has to be something else at play here that isn't actually related to legal inheritance.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:52 AM

19,342 posts, read 17,247,361 times
Quote:
VA Yankee
I do not think that the Father has made any provisions for me. Wouldn't i have been told? The son told me that I'll be meeting with him and a Rabby. Could this have to do with getting around inheritance tax (i am Swiss and are not familiar with US inheritance Tax Law).
I am worried that I might get into legal difficulties by doing this favor.
Its not unusual to discover that someone has included you in a will but the meeting with him and a Rabbi seems different. Inheritance tax obligations vary by location and probably aren't a factor in this, you'll meet with these men and see what this is about, you can go from there.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:31 AM

23,289 posts, read 10,599,687 times
Quote:
hello,
I was contacted by a relative of a friend of mine (booth of which are observing Orthodox Jews) to help him with an inheritance (in his words) "as he needs a gentile".

I have known my friend for over 30 years and have worked for him and his Father in one or the other capacity. I have accommodated him and his family in various ways such as pressing Elevators , turning on Dishwashers, etc. during Sabbath and Jewish holidays (while under his employment as well as while not under his employment).

My Friends Cousin I have known for about 20 years and have worked for him as an IT consultant as a favor for a very low fee. This phone call came as a surprise as we are not close and we have had no contact for over 10 years.

As I understand form this short phone conversation the Father passed away and some money shall pass from them to me and back to them. I also was told that I was to be compensated with a small fee for my troubles but no specific where mentioned.

I am not religious and always made it very clear to my religious friends that I am not. I was raised in a secular protestant society with a keen awareness of the achievements of "the religious wars" (to be able to live free from religious persecution).

I would like to know what my proper behavior would be in this situation from a religious and non religious Jewish perspective.

Thank you
I am not a Jew, and boy I would love to be a Gentile who did things for Jews.

It doesnt matter in the least whether you a religious or not, God's promise does not depend on what you believe or what those Jews believe, in blessing Israel, you have already figured out that it has blessed you but the inheritance will be much more than you would expect, I think, especially if you helped them during Sukkot, or especially if you accepted the feast of Tabernacles enough to look upon it as an enjoyment.

Of course I would take the money and buy them something beneficial or if it was a significant amount, I would set up a fund for one of thei grandaghter's education, as it is, you sound like your almost there and there would be nothing to lose by going the extra step.

A crazy person like me, and being the most greedy of all men, I would seek a bonding covenant with the family in all seriousness, and because I am the wealthiest man in Texas, I would offer them all I had but they would refuse most likely.

Jus saying, I would pay to have my foot in the door of a Jewish family that I could assure them that even if I dint keep all the laws of Sukkot, that I do respect it and think it a beautiful thing. I hope that Jews always keep it.

Maybe intention is everything, perhaps doing things for Jews could be a test because blessing Israel is indeed a test.

God can and will reveal himself to people who believe his promises, and let me assure you, the Gentile who does what pleases God just happens to have the greatest promises in the whole of the bible.

God chose one people in this world, his people. The majority have always hated, persecuted and killed them in at least 3 genocide attempts where a third were killed.

Imagine being that raw person who doesnt have a spirit of hate, and somebody didnt believe in spirits, they only need to consider the spirit of Hitler and what accomplished.
Whether one believes a time of punishment was at hand or not, what one could certainly consider is this last Exodus that Godi literaly predicted.

The great miracles seen in the haganah, even when the world shapely watched as a ship of Jews were sent back to Germany.

This is a great time of blessing where God has began to do the impossible, in 1910, it was literally impossible for anyone to consider a strong nation of Israel, then the impossible happened however bad it was, something so impossible

That is reality and no matter if every single denominations of Christianity all disagreed, it is quite obvious that the Jews alone follow what God has demanded them to follow and the world has hated them. Lord forgive the people who dole it out, but you are in a unique position and I would gladly trade placed accepts I would sit down with the father, I would put his hand on my thigh and mine on his and sware not to accept any worldly gifts, only that if there is really an afterlife, that you will be called by his name when he comes into his inherirance.

If you took my advise, you would now owe me.

What Christian's and Jews do not know is that they are David.

It will be that not long from now, maybe you will be serving during Sukkot and when you walk out of the room with everything the same, maybe you will bring in the wine thinking to serve, but when you come back in, you will find that the wine had already been served and you will realize who you have been helping, and there will sit a table of Gods, even like the angel who sits before throne.

I would give up any worldly inheritance and only ask that you both sit down and you put your hand on his thigh, and his hand on yours, and request an inheritance of name alone.

That you be called by their name in afterlife, and it wouldn't even matter if they were Atheist.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 07-24-2020 at 07:17 AM..

Old 07-24-2020, 09:27 AM

thank you all for your advice. I think I'll try to find a Rabbi a to ask so that I don't walk into that meeting totally unprepared.

regards

Old 07-24-2020, 10:46 AM

4,119 posts, read 1,905,836 times
Quote:
thank you all for your advice. I think I'll try to find a Rabbi a to ask so that I don't walk into that meeting totally unprepared.

regards
You probably didn't know it, but you did have a rabbi on this forum provide you with an answer already.

Anyway, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism