Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 02:30 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,877,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I would agree when it comes to secular matters. But I believe when it comes to Torah, there is right and wrong, and only the Torah is our guide. Yes, there is indeed a spectrum of opinions on most all matters in the Talmud, but every one of those sages is coming from the same starting point, which is the Torah that Moshe Rebeinu brought down from Har Sinai.

I look at the world today, and I would love nothing more than to be placed in a bubble where I would no longer have to engage with all the treif thought that so dominates our national discourse these days.
Nobody really has to engage with such discourse. Many Orthodox rabbis, in fact, tell their congregants to use the Internet only for business purposes. One can't really complain if one is purposefully putting oneself out there in the midst of "treif thought" such as one might find in online politics discussion forums (or any online forums, for that matter), Facebook, newspaper websites, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 03:56 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
I would agree when it comes to secular matters. But I believe when it comes to Torah, there is right and wrong, and only the Torah is our guide. Yes, there is indeed a spectrum of opinions on most all matters in the Talmud, but every one of those sages is coming from the same starting point, which is the Torah that Moshe Rebeinu brought down from Har Sinai.
But what about Yeshiva?...I thought that I remembered reading that that was the way they came to truth, by debating and takes diversity of thought...

Quote:
I look at the world today, and I would love nothing more than to be placed in a bubble where I would no longer have to engage with all the treif thought that so dominates our national discourse these days.
In one way I agree with you on this but in another I think that through diversity and adversity we grow as a mensch...

Old 07-13-2020, 04:22 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,367,632 times
Rachel, it’s obviously difficult to fully disengage from the treif secular world. I’d like to think on Shabbos, for instance, that we could do so. But it’s like water that’s always finding the path of least resistance. It can’t be stopped. Doesn’t make it any less disgusting.

Richard, in yeshiva, the “debate” is mostly on where to put the comma in a sentence, ie, “how to read” The passage, thereby rendering fully different meanings on occasion.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:30 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Rachel, it’s obviously difficult to fully disengage from the treif secular world. I’d like to think on Shabbos, for instance, that we could do so. But it’s like water that’s always finding the path of least resistance. It can’t be stopped. Doesn’t make it any less disgusting.

Richard, in yeshiva, the “debate” is mostly on where to put the comma in a sentence, ie, “how to read” The passage, thereby rendering fully different meanings on occasion.
But couldn’t there be one truth for that comma?...I believe that we learn through debate...Everyone has their own opinion where the comma goes, but there is truly only one place for it...

Old 07-13-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. One can turn off one's computer as easily as one turns off one's television set. Or even decide not to have either a television set or a computer in one's home. That would certainly be a good start towards establishing one's own bubble. Have you ever discussed with your rabbi how both television and the Internet might be undesirable windows into the secular world?

Old 07-13-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I'm not so sure about that. One can turn off one's computer as easily as one turns off one's television set. Or even decide not to have either a television set or a computer in one's home. That would certainly be a good start towards establishing one's own bubble. Have you ever discussed with your rabbi how both television and the Internet might be undesirable windows into the secular world?
I get it that you’re trying to show me as a hypocrite, but I think this discussion is more nuanced than that.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I get it that you’re trying to show me as a hypocrite, but I think this discussion is more nuanced than that.
I don't think I quite understand these "nuances." I look for solutions to problems. If the secular world is a threat to one, then it only makes sense to separate oneself as much as possible from that secular world. I don't know what particular Jewish community you belong to, but from your postings over the years I've gotten the impression that it's probably a very insular one. That's why I was curious as to what your rabbi thinks about participation on Internet forums, and whether there might be a danger to one on account of the things one might see and read there. It certainly doesn't sound very conducive to creating the sort of bubble that you're talking about here.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:45 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
So if you had to move into a bubble, would you want a bubble that shares your hashkafa (world view), or one that offers lots of diversity of thought?
Definitely a diversity of thought for me..

Old 07-13-2020, 08:09 PM

I think with the opportunity of this “theoretical” bubble, it’s the chance to get it right. Diversity of thought is unnecessary, because we already have all the available wisdom starting with Avraham Aveinu, thru Moshe Rebeinu, thru chazal and to the gedolim of our times, to know right from wrong, correct from incorrect, good from bad. There’s simply no need for any further diversity, because we already have found truth - and big surprise, it’s the Torah. There are no athletes, politicians or PTA moms with any further insight that we don’t already have with Torah. So for me, I’ll take a “Torah bubble,” and I’m good. For many of you, I bet that sounds nuts. And that’s why our planet is so incredibly lowly. When you reject the Torah, you reject truth itself.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:18 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Diversity of thought is a necessity to avoid being placed in straight jacket based on how someone else perceives you should live and think. Our planet is far from lowly as the people continue to demonstrate how high they can soar and what they can achieve when unfettered by narrow minded individuals who live life in their own world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism