Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2020, 03:21 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,651,014 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rewJ0axaumU

Tomorrow is the last day of the daily meeting, before they switch to a weekly format. I loved Avi's reading for today.

Also, it was announced that his group and the Christian guy's group will be working from home indefinitely. They teamed up and will be forming a Torah/Bible study. I e-mailed to sign up and they will keep me posted. Combining the two should be interesting and I can't wait to learn more about the Torah.

My friend in another department told me in the meeting that 95% will be staying home, only the 5% that need to go to the office will go. That means, I will only need to go in one day per week to print! I can do my job remotely except for the printing. Life is good and this new study will make the time at home even more enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 05:09 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,651,014 times
Daily meetings have ceased, but Avi and another person agreed to do a joint Torah and Bible Study. Combining the Jewish and Christian traditions on a weekly basis. Our Bible/Torah Study is on Wednesday.

Here's what Avi shared yesterday:

From www.Chabad.org
(This week is a double portion)

Moses conveys the laws governing the annulment of vows to the heads of the tribes of Israel.
War is waged against Midian for their role in plotting the moral destruction of Israel, and the Torah gives a detailed account of the war spoils and how they were allocated amongst the people, the warriors, the Levites and the high priest.
The tribes of Reuben and Gad (later joined by half of the tribe of Manasseh) ask for the lands east of the Jordan as their portion in the Promised Land, these being prime pastureland for their cattle. Moses is initially angered by the request, but subsequently agrees on the condition that they first join, and lead, in Israel’s conquest of the lands west of the Jordan.

Massei in a Nutshell
Numbers 33:1–36:13

The forty-two journeys and encampments of Israel are listed, from the Exodus to their encampment on the plains of Moab across the river from the land of Canaan.
Also in Massei: The boundaries of the Promised Land are given, and cities of refuge are designated as havens and places of exile for inadvertent murderers. The daughters of Tzelafchad marry within their own tribe of Manasseh, so that the estate which they inherit from their father should not pass to the province of another tribe.
Interpretation
Both portion talk about several subjects that are still significant to modern day life both civilly and politically. The rules for making an oath to in G-d’s name. The boundaries of the land of Israel. The difference between murder and manslaughter.
The difference between murder and manslaughter is interesting to me because it seems we use the same definition today. The bible says that if a person strikes another with an object in anger that could kill the victim then it’s murder. However if the “attacker” wasn’t acting with malice or forethought and wasn’t using an object that could kill, then it’s manslaughter. The bible details what tools or objects should be considered deadly and includes hands. Manslayers (but not murderers) could flee to one of 6 refuge cities where they could be safe from the family of the victim so long as they remained inside the city walls. Murderers were to be executed but the execution was to be carried out by the “blood avenger” literally the victim’s family member and not an executioner. (Numbers 35:12 – 35:34)

Prayer
(Blessing for putting on Tefillin)
From Your wisdom, O supreme G-d, may You imbue me; from Your understanding give me understanding; with Your kindness do greatly with me; with Your power cut down my foes and rebels. [May] You pour goodly oil upon the seven arms of the menorah, to cause Your good to flow to Your creatures. {May] You open Your hand and satisfy the desire of every living thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism