Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 05:17 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
I am not condemning anyone at all, just trying (apparently unsuccessfully) to draw an analogy. Why would anyone want to question the traditions and requirements of a religion?

I guess, I've missed my point.

I'm out.
Your point is not wrong but among the more Orthodox observers it remains in the traditional way with men being the only attendees for a minyan as well as the Synagogue Rabbi's and leaders. The other end of the spectrum is the Reformed Movement which is more inclusive with woman filling the same roles along with men tallit & yarmulke included, Between the two ends are the Conservatives and what I've seen their practices can vary based on the congregation, woman may or may not be the Rabbi or Cantor or participate in a minyan.

Unlike your comparison the type of Synagogue you choose to attend determines who will fill the roles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 05:31 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
I think the point being made by TFF is that women in Orthodox synagogues, where their presence would not be counted for a minyan is to request that women not attend services while there are occupancy limitations and social distancing is required. Normally, female attendance would be unlimited. I imagine it depends on the space of the building or outdoor space. None of this would apply to Conservative, Reconstructionist, Reform congregations.

Old 06-05-2020, 05:36 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,876,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
I am not condemning anyone at all, just trying (apparently unsuccessfully) to draw an analogy. Why would anyone want to question the traditions and requirements of a religion?

I guess, I've missed my point.

I'm out.
Or perhaps I may have missed your point.

In any case, Shabbat Shalom.

Old 06-05-2020, 05:47 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I think the point being made by TFF is that women in Orthodox synagogues, where their presence would not be counted for a minyan is to request that women not attend services while there are occupancy limitations and social distancing is required. Normally, female attendance would be unlimited. I imagine it depends on the space of the building or outdoor space. None of this would apply to Conservative, Reconstructionist, Reform congregations.
That is all correct and all here should read this. And yes, I’m normal times, women have unlimited access to the shul.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:44 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,626 times
I attended my first post-lockdown minyan this morning. Very strange:

put on tallis and tefillin at home, daven up to yishtabach at home
drive over
wear mask, stand at marked spaces, 6 feet apart, in the back yard of a private home
there was anaveil (mourner) there but the minyan wasn't considered a mourner's minyan so we didn't exclude the things not said at a mourner's minyan
but because it is the celebration of the new month (Rosh Chodesh) certain things were omitted anyway.
We said hallel but the mourner walked out for it
no torah service
tefillin stayed on for musaf
psalm 16 was added at the end -- this is added at a mourner's minyan but the rabbi figured, "at the end of the day, you can always add a chapter of psalms and a kaddish after ANY minyan" so it did no harm to add it in here

Same time tomorrow I guess

Old 06-22-2020, 07:52 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Not the US, but:

Chief Rabbi: Shuls must remain closed until communal prayer is permitted

https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com...-is-permitted/

Old 06-22-2020, 09:51 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Not the US, but:

Chief Rabbi: Shuls must remain closed until communal prayer is permitted

https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com...-is-permitted/

This is the approach my state's rabbinical council is taking.

As my rabbi put it, until it's safe for all of us we will not open the building. But the congregation is not a building, so there are outdoor options in the works now that we're down to less than 300 new cases a day on average.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:07 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,876,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This is the approach my state's rabbinical council is taking.

As my rabbi put it, until it's safe for all of us we will not open the building. But the congregation is not a building, so there are outdoor options in the works now that we're down to less than 300 new cases a day on average.
My congregation has started sending out questionnaires to all members to try to gauge what sort of attendance we can expect for the High Holidays. I don't know whether or not there are plans to hold the services indoors or outdoors. We're still three months away from it, but there is some uncertainty over whether the relaxed quarantine rules right now might result in a fresh spike in the pandemic. So the Board of Directors and associate rabbis are planning ahead.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:51 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
B’h, still no new cases in the shul, even though Covid is rising in my state. We’re still davening indoors (I lost track of the weeks - maybe 5 or 6?) with our new normal (masks, distancing, no kiddush and lots of extra rules). But with temps in the 90s and 100s here, backyards are just not an option. It ain’t pretty, but it’s working. Hashem is clearly sending us a message. I wish we merited to truly understand what it is.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:56 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Ultra-Orthodox push for closure of synagogues for fear of 2nd virus wave

Quote:
Leaders seek preemptive measures for sector's crowded communities; 'it's uncomfortable and unpleasant to pray outside in the summer, but it's more pleasant than going to a funeral,' says rabbi
https://www.ynetnews.com/article/BkK113L0aU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism