Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:43 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,215,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
Iowa Culture - NASCAR, country music, pick up trucks, etc.??? Hick state rooted in agriculture???

Please, please tell us how you arrived at your obviously well researched generalization of an entire state?

Perhaps it is akin to me basing my enitre opinion of Minnesota on my one visit to Robbinsdale, MN. Would it be fair to say that the entire state of Minnesota is poorly educated, dirt poor, and barely employed in the food service, roofing, or landscaping industries?
Haha, yeah I saw that the other day and didn't even bother to respond. I grew up in Iowa City for 21 years and I'm pretty sure the key things we made fun of and couldn't stand were everything that he had stated.

It's just a stereotype, but obviously not the truth.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:41 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
That's quite alright, Lafitte.
But if you disavow RC Cola and Moon Pies, we'll have to ask you to leave.

Signed:
Fellow Georgian
Moon pies taste good. I just don't eat them often(actually, I haven't eaten one in years). You might get mad at me because I use the word "pop" when refering to any kind on fizzy soft drink(including Coca-Cola, the original soft drink of Georgia). I get it from my father, a Milwaukee native.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
I am from Minnesota and I dont really understand why we are so PC these days. Why in the heck would Iowa need to "promote" itself?! If people want to come to Iowa, let them come, if not, too bad!!! I was in Newton a few months ago for the Indy Race and out of 30000 people, I did not see any Blacks or Hispanics there. For "minorities" moving to Iowa, I am sorry to inform you, but this is a "hick" state, rooted in agriculture, therefore, that is pretty much what being an Iowan is all about. Nascar, country music, pick up trucks, etc. If you dont sympathize with this culture or you are not willing to make any effort to assimilate into "Iowan culture", then obviously you will always be an outcast. I dont understand how Blacks, Hispanics move to a country town in the middle of Iowa, make no effort to integrate and complain about racism, maybe you are in the wrong state?
My answer would be that most minorities move to places like Iowa for some kind of benefit unfounded where they once lived. That is why my grandparents left the South in the 1940's and moved to the Midwest-for better opportunities. My guess is that many of the persons who move to Iowa arent' interested in NASCAR and country music. Big deal.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I know Iowa City has seen a huge number of inner-city blacks coming from Chicago since they tore down all the housing projects. My mother was actually laid off from a teaching job at an elementary school in Iowa City because of perpetually shrinking enrollment. They were actually working through plans to close the school. Within 5 years it's now the most overcrowded school in the district, and the % of minority students is now at 60%. Apparantly they have 6 temporary buildings because they're so desperate for classrooms. I think it's a lot of the same at many elementary schools in Iowa City. I know of 2 elementarys with over 25% Asian enrollment, and my own elementary school went from 98% white when I was there to 60% today. 4 schools now have less than 50% white students.

It doesn't mean it's a bad thing by any means, but the state is definitely dealing with changes it hasn't seen in the past. I think it's healthy for a growing economy.

I looked at Iowa City's population and there about 2000-2300 blacks in Iowa City. Considering the city has over 62,000 residents, that is rather small. However, my theory is that most of the black families who are there have many children, therefore, putting more children in the school system. It may be the same reason why there are two schools in Iowa City that are 1/4 Asian.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:41 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,215,957 times
Well I know in 2000 Iowa City/Coralville had 2,972 African Americans. All of this new growth as occured between 2003 and today though, so it's not included in the numbers.

There were 4,149 Asians in 2000, mostly due to the University of Iowa.

I read that there are 24 different languages spoken in the "English As A Second Language" programs at the schools. Spanish just took over Korean as the top language in the program. The district has students who were born in 40 different countries. The overall minority enrollment is 27%. Quite a bit for a state that's 95% white.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well I know in 2000 Iowa City/Coralville had 2,972 African Americans. All of this new growth as occured between 2003 and today though, so it's not included in the numbers.

There were 4,149 Asians in 2000, mostly due to the University of Iowa.

I read that there are 24 different languages spoken in the "English As A Second Language" programs at the schools. Spanish just took over Korean as the top language in the program. The district has students who were born in 40 different countries. The overall minority enrollment is 27%. Quite a bit for a state that's 95% white.
It all depends on where you go. As for minorities in the state, the first thing to do is promote Iowa as a great place to work instead of a place for people to get welfare. If welfare is the only reason anyone goes to any place, then that place will be inhabited by a few persons who do cause trouble(not everyone, but many do). If that is done, then the people who want to work, who want to better themselves will come. That happened with Waterloo. When blacks wanted work, a better life away from Jim Crow's reach, many settled in Waterloo(and Davenport) to work in the factories. The same thing holds true for Wisconsin's cities like Milwaukee, Racine, Beloit,etc. After some fo the factory jobs went under, this left unemployment and many people either left or went on welfare. Many residents from states with more stringent welfare rules moved to WI and IA specifically for the generous welfare, sometimes criminals followed as with any migration. While there were residents who didn't commit crimes, the ones who did commit crimes often committed the most heinous crimes and caused trouble for everyone else. When you make a place a "welfare state", anyone who doesn't want to work(or physically can't work in many cases) will flock there and in many cases the low-lifers get in and cause trouble for everyone else. I would never move to a place simply for welfare. I know some people need welfare to get on their feet, but the persons who abuse the system are the ones I'm worried about. Besides, I would be embarrassed to be on welfare because being a black man, there are many people who would look at me as lazy(not everyone), but being viewed as lazy is very embarrassing. The problem is that Iowa isn't being promoted for jobs. Look at Waterloo in particular.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:20 AM

884 posts, read 1,035,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
It all depends on where you go. As for minorities in the state, the first thing to do is promote Iowa as a great place to work instead of a place for people to get welfare. If welfare is the only reason anyone goes to any place, then that place will be inhabited by a few persons who do cause trouble(not everyone, but many do). If that is done, then the people who want to work, who want to better themselves will come. That happened with Waterloo. When blacks wanted work, a better life away from Jim Crow's reach, many settled in Waterloo(and Davenport) to work in the factories. The same thing holds true for Wisconsin's cities like Milwaukee, Racine, Beloit,etc. After some fo the factory jobs went under, this left unemployment and many people either left or went on welfare. Many residents from states with more stringent welfare rules moved to WI and IA specifically for the generous welfare, sometimes criminals followed as with any migration. While there were residents who didn't commit crimes, the ones who did commit crimes often committed the most heinous crimes and caused trouble for everyone else. When you make a place a "welfare state", anyone who doesn't want to work(or physically can't work in many cases) will flock there and in many cases the low-lifers get in and cause trouble for everyone else. I would never move to a place simply for welfare. I know some people need welfare to get on their feet, but the persons who abuse the system are the ones I'm worried about. Besides, I would be embarrassed to be on welfare because being a black man, there are many people who would look at me as lazy(not everyone), but being viewed as lazy is very embarrassing. The problem is that Iowa isn't being promoted for jobs. Look at Waterloo in particular.

Oh you poor guy, gee I hope you never have to be on welfare because you know, being black and all. How many different forums are you going to post on crying racism and stereotyping white people? Have you unofficially designated yourself as the "city-data.com Martin Luther King"? Once again I will say it, GET OVER IT!

Old 10-08-2007, 03:21 PM

40 posts, read 263,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millyp View Post
I see no problem with incoming minorities. The simple truth is that if you open up your heart and eyes you can always learn something new. Good food, good people, good friends. That is all i see to gain.....culturalization is never a bad thing
Perhaps you would like to come enjoy some "culture" in East St Louis sometime soon? Or, how about spending the weekend in San Diego? Lot's of the type of culture you are looking for. San Antonio Texas might also be a great weekend trip for you as well. Lot's of "diversion" there now days.

I was born in Iowa. I have traveled to those cities I mentioned before they became as "diverse" as they are today, and since then.

You've got it good in Iowa. Appreciate what you have. If you don't, please visit the places I mentioned, and then you WILL appreciate it.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:49 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,262,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt80rider View Post
Perhaps you would like to come enjoy some "culture" in East St Louis sometime soon? Or, how about spending the weekend in San Diego? Lot's of the type of culture you are looking for. San Antonio Texas might also be a great weekend trip for you as well. Lot's of "diversion" there now days.

I was born in Iowa. I have traveled to those cities I mentioned before they became as "diverse" as they are today, and since then.

You've got it good in Iowa. Appreciate what you have. If you don't, please visit the places I mentioned, and then you WILL appreciate it.

I get what you're trying to say and all, but San Diego and San Antonio are two of my favorite places to visit. You should've picked "East Los Angeles" or "Eagle Pass, TX" or something like that instead.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:16 AM

884 posts, read 1,035,371 times
Culturization is a good thing as long as its LEGAL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa