Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:03 AM

27 posts, read 96,308 times

Advertisements

Ok. Heres the deal.. I am going to relocate in Iowa. I had originally thought about moving out of IA. But then I saw all thouse beautiful pics on the photo thread and decided it would be a mistake to leave IA. Yes I hate winter but the summer fall and spring months I love...So my question is where is the best place in IA to raise a family that has low crime rate and great schools. I currently live in Humboldt and although I like the small town with little to no crime I would like something a little more active. We have top leave town to go to a walmart ect.. So if anybody has any ideas of good medium sized towns. I am aiming in the 15-25 thousand population range. Not to big, not to small. Has most major department stores....Thanks and any and all opinions are appriciated!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 10:01 AM

337 posts, read 1,529,613 times
I'll recommend Cedar Falls to start you off ... nice town of about 35,000 ... has quite a bit going on with UNI in town, very clean - VERY low crime - and very good schools.

Although it is joined with Waterloo - it is a seperate city; and oddly a lot of Waterloo people stay in Waterloo for their needs, and Cedar Falls people stay in Cedar Falls for their needs.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:59 AM

154 posts, read 910,674 times
I'm moving to Burlington, but everyone will tell you it's dead there and not to move there, etc.. I like it. I don't care what everyone says. So that's my suggestion. : )

Old 02-05-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy77 View Post
I'm moving to Burlington, but everyone will tell you it's dead there and not to move there, etc.. I like it. I don't care what everyone says. So that's my suggestion. : )
I, sadly, am one of those people. Not because I hate Burlington or think you are dumb for liking it - but from personal experience of living in the area for 14 years ... I would never move back.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:49 PM

Thank you N.T. I will definatly check that out. I am very impressed with the schools.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:00 PM

154 posts, read 910,674 times
Burlington probably died because all the younger people moved away! The only people left behind are over 70 years old. Well, we're bringing the life back to that dead town. I know 3 different couples who are in their late 20's that are moving back to Burlington because they are settling down and raising babies. I hope more do the same. Burlington has so much potential to be a great town, why did it die on the vine? What happened for everyone to want to leave over the past 2 decades?

Old 02-05-2009, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 7,898 times
I'd agree with Cedar Falls too! I live in Urbandale, but went to college in CF. Every time I'm back there I think it would be a great place for a family to live! I know a great Realtor there if you're ever there and want to peek at some homes!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:47 PM

681 posts, read 3,037,706 times
I'll throw one out here: Ames.

It's about 50K, so it's a little bigger than what you were thinking but it feels like a small town. Plus, just like in Cedar Falls the college adds a lot of character and culture to the town. Great schools, low crime, a nice mall. Plus it's closer to Humbolt, so the move wouldn't be as rough.

Just another option to consider. Good luck!

Old 02-06-2009, 06:54 AM

Thank you everyone. I have been looking online and I am not finding many rentals in cedar falls. ames as quite a few though...I have been to ames alot for their mall! Both towns seem to have decent rent prices comparable to Humboldt..Which is a huge plus. I am also looking for a really nice aquatic center, and the one in cedar falls looks like a blast!! When I told my 7 year old son we were thinking of moving to a big town,, He said "find one that has a super fun pool!" LOL.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowamama26 View Post
Thank you everyone. I have been looking online and I am not finding many rentals in cedar falls. ames as quite a few though...I have been to ames alot for their mall! Both towns seem to have decent rent prices comparable to Humboldt..Which is a huge plus. I am also looking for a really nice aquatic center, and the one in cedar falls looks like a blast!! When I told my 7 year old son we were thinking of moving to a big town,, He said "find one that has a super fun pool!" LOL.
The Falls Aquatic Center in Cedar Falls is almost brand new - however, it gets very busy and is not big enough. It's relatively cheap though so I'm sure your kids will have a good time.

Anyway, CF definitely has the upper hand if you are looking for a good aquatic center because of The Lost Island Waterpark in Waterloo...very nice, biggest in the state.

Lost Island Waterpark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa