Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 10:01 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,932,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted corn View Post
Iowa is #1 in the nation for dilapidated housing, which is why it’s 5th highest in property taxes rates. The roads are also among the top five worst in the nation. Water quality is abysmal of which the farm lobby blames on home owners and... their yards...right. Western Iowa has devolved into the land time forgot. I’m a fifth generation Iowan from west central Iowa, my first ancestors landed here in 1851 and would be appalled at the closed/narrow-minded views that have infested most areas west of I-35. Oh the weather..May, June, September, October pretty nice. Some excellent city schools, health care better than most, but not as good as Minnesota. All in all, I guess there are worse places to raise a family, but I would look at the Fort Collins Co metro area which is politically 50/50 and has most everything you’re looking for...less culture shock moving from CT.
I highly doubt the OP will go into shock about the property taxes coming from CT when it comes to Iowa. The 2019 government report (using 2017 figures) has Iowa at #14 as to property tax rates. In comparison CT is a solid #4 as to the highest rates in the country.
Property Tax Rates By State 2019 - Tax-Rates.org

I would LOVE to see your research figures on the "#1 in the nation for dilapidated housing" claim. Have you traveled the rest of the U.S. at all? As a state, Iowa should be commended for the condition their housing is compared to what I've seen in many of the other states. Same thing with the roads. You're painting with a broad brush using only your opinion. Because of climate differences from winter to summer, you're going to have road breakups unlike states without such extremes. I think Iowa does a pretty good job keeping up. If your comment is based on I-80 think about this. That is the main interstate crossing the United States, ESPECIALLY for truck traffic. It gets the hell beat out of it every year. It's also not Iowa's problem, it's a federal highway.

I believe based on the OP's post, they're looking for a little culture shock as they've had enough of the other culture where they're at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 12:30 PM

555 posts, read 501,445 times
Yeah, that post really smacked of someone who needs to go out and more deeply experience other parts of the country to get a little perspective.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:58 AM

459 posts, read 475,515 times
I'm sure the threads original author is still checking this post 6 months down the road.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:07 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,573,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
I'm sure the threads original author is still checking this post 6 months down the road.
Well, I'm checking it out in 9/21. The thread is still viable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa