Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 12:06 PM

35 posts, read 60,203 times

Advertisements

Hello Iowa,
I am interested in relocating and had several places in mind until someone mentioned Iowa.I've searched the forum but still would like more information.I live in Chicago and have worked at nursing homes.I am single with one cat and don't drive.Could anyone give me any information on some of the best nursing homes to work that pays a decent salary,apartments within walking distance and nearby shopping?I need only a 1BR price range up to 700 if that's possible.I'm a CNA with years of experience willing to transfer license to Iowa.I read that most of Iowa is safe and some places not so.Please give me areas to avoid.I am 50 with no strings attached to Chicago just ready to move out of the big city.I've never been to Iowa and don't know anyone there.I am planning a trip there sometime next month.I saw an ad for CNA's at Sunny View Care Center in Ankeny,IA 50023.and Polk City 50226.Are those good areas with what I'm looking for?
Thank You all for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 08:11 AM

215 posts, read 283,306 times
Not driving is going to be a problem and will limit your options. You may get close to work but shopping will be distant. There are few cities here that have extensive public transportation. Des Moines, Iowa City and Ames are probably the best; Ames because it's a college town. Omaha may be a consideration.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:31 PM

Hello, I appreciate your response.I think I will do more research in the areas you mentioned.Thanks

Old 02-02-2017, 07:36 AM

30 posts, read 47,379 times
Another thought would be to find small towns that have care facilities in them . . .plenty of that around Iowa.. and with the small town. .well ...you can walk anywhere ya need to and get where your goin. . .

Old 02-04-2017, 03:34 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
Just about any small town with a nursing home would fit the bill. The bigger cities like Des Moines, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City also have extensive bus services so you could get by without a car. CNA's that want to work in nursing homes are in HUGE demand so you could pretty much throw a dart on a map and pick a place to live like that. I'm not sure why you settled on Iowa but you could really go anywhere. I'm not in Iowa any longer, but off the top of my head, in the smaller town where I live now, I can think of 4 or 5 places that are hiring, the entire town is walkable, you could get an apartment for 1/2 of what you are looking at spending for one example.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:15 AM

Hi Qwerty please give me more info on where you are so that I can look into the area.Thanks

Old 02-21-2017, 11:27 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl2 View Post
Hi Qwerty please give me more info on where you are so that I can look into the area.Thanks
Like Qwerty stated, CNA's are in demand everywhere. I just heard a radio spot a couple weeks ago for a nursing home in Rock Rapids Iowa advertising pay of around $ 17 per hour and offering a sign on bonus as well. Due to a shortage of people that are willing to do the work, pay for CNAs is going up most everywhere.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:39 AM

75 posts, read 107,170 times
Don't get too tied to the idea of apartment living either. Assuming you have decent credit, home ownership isn't out of the realm of possibility either. Especially in some of the smaller Iowa communities, where housing is ridiculously cheap.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,901 times
Hello southerngirl2; I also am curious about Iowa, coincidently looking at retirement years there & posting about senoir care centers when that time is due. Not many replies to mine either in the hours since both our postings (people must have lives other than this), but thought in general today about getting around when I'm 90 and no longer able to drive. Wondering if UBER drivers are available as an option, or if self driving cars become refined & accepted ... perhaps future self driving UBER on demand as seen on a PBS show, so no need to own a car. Check YouTube for virtual tours of candidate locations ... they're good to asterisk or line-out possibilities. If not Iowa, North or North of Rockford vicinity, or NW Illinois (including Dubuque) are options. As for me, as nice as Arlington Heights is with a cost of living index of 115 & crime index of about 100 last time I looked, Iowa generally has a cost of living index in the 80's & similiar low crime ... seemingly with a compatable comfort zone. As far as South Dakota & the likes of Omaha Nebraska go in fitting my criteria, close but probably not my cigar. Good-Luck in finding where your smile shines brightest!

Old 02-24-2017, 07:18 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavO's View Post
Hello southerngirl2; I also am curious about Iowa, coincidently looking at retirement years there & posting about senoir care centers when that time is due. Not many replies to mine either in the hours since both our postings (people must have lives other than this), but thought in general today about getting around when I'm 90 and no longer able to drive. Wondering if UBER drivers are available as an option, or if self driving cars become refined & accepted ... perhaps future self driving UBER on demand as seen on a PBS show, so no need to own a car. Check YouTube for virtual tours of candidate locations ... they're good to asterisk or line-out possibilities. If not Iowa, North or North of Rockford vicinity, or NW Illinois (including Dubuque) are options. As for me, as nice as Arlington Heights is with a cost of living index of 115 & crime index of about 100 last time I looked, Iowa generally has a cost of living index in the 80's & similiar low crime ... seemingly with a compatable comfort zone. As far as South Dakota & the likes of Omaha Nebraska go in fitting my criteria, close but probably not my cigar. Good-Luck in finding where your smile shines brightest!
You may want to look at Galena, Illinois. 15 miles from Dubuque and very safe. They just built an assisted living center right next to the hospital for down the line if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa