Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 06:41 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,694,636 times

Advertisements

Thanks for loading those capitol building photos viktor!
The 3rd photo is an interior shot of the law library which is truly a remarkably ornate room. It blew the socks off of me the first time I saw it as an adult.
I recall that veteran newsman David Brinkley of ABC News had the same reaction one night on network tv as he sat in the room and broadcast live coverage of an Iowa Caucus event.
Trust me, whether you are talking about the building itself and/or the size of it's grounds & it's setting on a hill above the Des Moines River, there are only a few capitol buildings in the U.S. that equal or match the Iowa State Capitol in overall magnificence.
"Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 09:15 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
I love that library at the Capitol building. Such a beautiful place! I've yet to see another state capitol half as gorgeous!

Old 07-20-2015, 01:20 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,612 times
I remember visiting in 5th grade, sitting in those balconies above the chamber and being scared about how high up we seemed to be. Now that I see these photos, it's not that high at all. What a wuss!
The dome still impresses, though.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:14 PM

128 posts, read 267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Thanks for loading those capitol building photos viktor!
The 3rd photo is an interior shot of the law library which is truly a remarkably ornate room. It blew the socks off of me the first time I saw it as an adult.
I recall that veteran newsman David Brinkley of ABC News had the same reaction one night on network tv as he sat in the room and broadcast live coverage of an Iowa Caucus event.
Trust me, whether you are talking about the building itself and/or the size of it's grounds & it's setting on a hill above the Des Moines River, there are only a few capitol buildings in the U.S. that equal or match the Iowa State Capitol in overall magnificence.
"Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain."
Thanks! The law library will go down for me as one of the most remarkable interiors I have ever had the privilege to see. The scale is breathtaking and beautiful. One of the reasons I was so drawn to the room was because it was like stepping back in time. In my home state of Michigan we had a library very similar to this in Detroit. I never got to see the Old Detroit Public Library because it was torn down in the first half of the 20th century, but the black and white photos featured much the same architecture, so when I saw this room in all its glory I felt as if I had stepped into a time machine to Victorian America.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:56 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
Downtown from the new West Capitol Terrace park just west of the Capitol. I can't find for the life of me find out the name of the statue or any info on it.
I apologize if someone has already responded to this. I was just reading about the capital building in Des Moines and I might have found the answer to your pondering in the comments section... here's a link: Iowa State Capitol Building – Des Moines, Iowa (The 6th comment down from the top.)

I'm loving these photos of Iowa! My husband's father's family is from there and we hope to visit someday. He has not been back since he was a little kid, and I have never been.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:14 PM

3 posts, read 1,716 times
Kingsley, Iowa downtown in Plymouth County. A small town.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:37 PM

226 posts, read 576,412 times
Any photos of COUNCIL BLUFFS by any chance?

Old 08-07-2019, 07:10 PM

226 posts, read 576,412 times
Darn, nobody responded yet. I really would love to see pictures of Council Bluffs nowadays. On the local forum in that area, I read something "EastCB" and "really needs help" -- or something.

Is the East side of Council Bluffs going downhill, or something? I always thought the East side was the nicer side, and the west side was the junkier side, and needed more a boost.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:20 AM

66 posts, read 47,306 times

not my photo, just from google.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:35 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
not my photo, just from google.

This image seen above (seen immediately above my posting here and pasted in by the quoted poster from Google), for those who don't recognize it, is of Davenport, Iowa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa