Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 04:13 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times

Advertisements

I don't really see how a couple people from Cedar Rapids not being happy about gay marriage makes the entire 200k+ population of the Cedar Rapids metro not gay friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 05:56 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Be aware that Race Replacement of Old Stock Iowans was a major goal of 'Governor' VileSack. He imported droves of scary ghetto people from eastern cities, to ruin Des Moines, prior to moving to Hell (Washington, D.C.), to claim his reward from Satan. And you should read the classic article "Murdering Iowa", by Dr. William Pierce. The importation of laborers for the factory farms, from countries where Gay People have traditionally been murdered with impunity, will inevitably change the way Gays are treated in Iowa's small towns. The transformation of the population from White Protestant to Brown Catholic will inevitably bring a transformation of social mores.

Whether that demographic shift will change the climate in small town Iowa from tolerant to murderous within your own lifetimes is anyone's guess. That transformation occurred in Texas and California, far faster than anyone expected.

Old Stock Iowans are the kindest people in the world. They may be guarded, and after the horrors of the Farm Crisis, they may be emotionally damaged. But my impression is that If you are dealing with them, and only them, you will be treated decently, anywhere in Iowa to which you choose to move.

My Decorator was planning on moving to Elk Horn Iowa, after he went to Des Moines, on a Husband Hunt. He found NOBODY... but fell in love with that Danish town. He had the perfect Victorian mini-mansion picked out, and could see himself surrounded by Hollyhocks and Lilacs, Percherons and Skogkatts....and those beautiful Danish Farmers... We were considering following (the kids were considering St. Olaf, in Minnesota). I mean, our Decorator planned our last house, and picked the one we moved to out here in Oregon. But then those traitors in the White House threw open America's borders. We saw the handwriting on the wall, and realized that the only good places in America will be the pricey places...and so here we sit in Oregon's priciest town.

My advice would be to find a small town where there is no industry and no large-scale agriculture. Generally, that means 'College Town'. Industry and agriculture attract the horrible people from horrible places who will bash you. Here's an illustration of the difference: My Decorator went to the Gay Rodeo in Nebraska. While in Omaha, he went to Gold's to work out, and maybe meet up with a giant Polish BB who was maybe interested in him. Place was full of quiet, earnest Midwesterners...all minding their own business, working out. But then, in the Locker Room, he saw a group of teens from one of those problem countries. They were jumping around, calling each other 'Maricon'... and looking around for real 'Maricons' to harass. That's the difference: Old Stock Midwesterners mind their own business. Their replacements, from countries with predatory cultures, actively search for people to hurt.

Currently, my Decorator is pining from afar, for a bodybuilder who works in construction in Cedar Rapids. Yowza! Now THAT is a MAN! I get to see the pics and hear the sighs of longing (unfortunately, my friend is not rich enough, muscular enough, or butch enough, to actually bag the really big game, but refuses to settle for less...uncompromising taste has its downside...). Anyway, apparently that area has a large Swedish population, and (as other posters have pointed out), seems to be exceptionally tolerant.

I think the things to be wary of are: A) Cities ruined by VileSack's imported criminals B) Factory Farms C) Industry. Those three are where you will find concentrations of people who will bash you. Not that this is any different from what is happening across the country. The whole nation is dying, and you have to find those rare places which will die last.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 11-06-2011 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: and...

Old 11-06-2011, 09:03 PM

116 posts, read 384,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
#1 Iowa did NOT "pass" same-sex marriage. Instead, the state legislature passed and signed into law a protection of marriage act. It was the State's Supreme Court that overruled that law and thus issued in same sex marriage into Iowa.
I thought it was started by a lesbian couple that petitioned to local court about their right to marriage being denied.

Quote:
#2 just because you are not for same-sex marriage, does not mean you aren't gay friendly....unless of course, you're saying this is a one issue movement.
Homophobia today is more subtle than it used to be.just like with racism or xenophobia. No one I met from cedar rapids wanted to hang out with a gay Pole I personally used to know. And the folks were from intelligent middle-class families including one of lawyers! And all of them appeared to be republican conservatives and statistically speaking Republicans including those from younger generation are less likely to support same sex rights than Democrats or Independents.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:30 AM

You are still speaking from very limited experience. I know very few homophobic Cedar Rapidians. Okay, so you met some conservative guys from Cedar Rapids. ...so? The exact same thing could happen with San Francisco or New York.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:15 AM

116 posts, read 384,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
You are still speaking from very limited experience. I know very few homophobic Cedar Rapidians. Okay, so you met some conservative guys from Cedar Rapids. ...so? The exact same thing could happen with San Francisco or New York.
Yeah but generally west coas or east coast is different from midwest. Those are a lot more liberal parts of country.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:51 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,006 times
Significantly more liberal. The midwest usually relies on "feigned" liberalism, usually exaggerated as well.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:09 PM

Hmmm, well it's clear you don't know much about the urban Midwest if that's what you think. It's precisely because SF and NY are so liberal that I brought them up.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:36 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,006 times
There's no city in the midwest nearly as "liberal" as SF.

Minneapolis is by far the most liberal large city in the midwest, followed by Chicago, which is more democratic opposed to progressive liberal you'd find on the west coast.

On a smaller scale, certain college towns are also liberal. Iowa City, Lawrence, Madison, etc.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:59 PM

Not denying that...

Old 11-29-2011, 08:35 PM

14 posts, read 117,917 times
For a small town with acceptance, I would certainly check out Fairfield. An extremely environmental town. Small farms. Interesting and trendy little shops. It is also home to the Maharishi University, a Transcendental Meditation outlet, and Fairfield is home to several hundreds of TMs. Good schools. Low crime.

Fairfield, Iowa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Otherwise I would recommend Iowa City or Coralville. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa