Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2007, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,605 times

Advertisements

My DH and I are planning to move in the near future, and Iowa City is at the top of our list. I've never been anywhere even remotely close to Iowa, so I have no idea of what I should expect.

I know that the climate change will be a huge shock (I've only seen snow once). Someone on a previous thread said that they pay around $140 per month for heating. Does anyone know what the average cost per month of heating an apartment with around 850 square feet?

Also, I'll most likely be finishing my degree at the University of Iowa. What is it like?

If you have any more ideas on how to better prepare myself for the move, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 01:38 PM

20 posts, read 131,652 times
Iowa City is wonderful. It is one of the most expensive areas in Iowa, but worth it! The U is large, great, especially for grad students. Many opportunities in the medical, dental, pharmaceutical areas. We have one of the best medical colleges in the country. Lots of research. We're one of the top schools in the country for research. We also have the Iowa writers workshop, which is one of the finest writing mfa writing programs in the country. It is very liberal. There is lots of apartment choices. I lived in one on the third floor and didn't spend much at all on heat, as it came up through the floor. On the other hand, I live in a mobile home that is not well insulated and heat can get above $300 in a cold snap. Air conditioning isn't cheap either. I'd try calling some property management agencies.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:42 AM

14 posts, read 77,410 times
We moved here 2 years ago from the East Coast. It's a horrible place to live - absolutely NOTHING to do - no decent shopping - no decent restaurants. Iowa City is the most expensive city in the state. It's very small town-ish. I think the high today will be 10. Unless it's an absolute necessity for you to move here - I'd definitley stay in civilization.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:44 PM

189 posts, read 801,469 times
Shaines103,

If IC is such a horrible place and you spend every waking moment hating it, what exactly is keeping you from packing up and going back east? If you can't find ONE decent restaurant in IC then you're not looking too hard either IMO. The midwest or anyplace north of the 34th parallel isn't known for warm winters either, so surely you know that before leaving the balmy east coast. LOL

Old 01-30-2007, 05:24 PM

14 posts, read 77,410 times
My husband got a job offer he 'couldn't refuse' and that's why we're here. $$$ talks I wish it were that easy to go back! NJ and PA aren't known for 'balmy' weather. I don't know where you got that. I'd like to hear your recommendations for restaurants - I can't think of any we haven't tried in the 2 years we've been here. We miss shopping - even Macy's would be a plus And don't tell me to drive 3 hours to Chicago when we had all the stores anyone could want within 30 minutes of where we lived. No food store choices - no Costco - no Baily, Banks & Biddle, not even a Toys R Us if we wanted to buy a gift for a child, etc. etc. Not a day goes by when I don't miss something we had back East. There's also nothing to do - we drive 2 hours to Des Moines to see plays. And all we see are farms in the drive. At least we're closer to AZ now for retirement.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:42 PM

189 posts, read 801,469 times
You had mentioned that the high was only going to be 10, so that sounded like a knock on the climate. I agree that if a job offer is for the right amount, I'd probably work someplace I didn't really like for a while. But you truly sound miserable and I don't think any amount of money is worth that.
If I had to move back to IA, IC or DM are probably the two places I would choose. But trying to compare restaurant/shopping diversity to the bigger cities in the east is apples to oranges.
Overall, it really sounds like you're a displaced "city girl" and the small town, simpler pace of life that the midwest or any small town offers is just not the right match for you.
Is there a possibility of your husband getting a transfer to AZ with his current company?

Old 02-08-2007, 07:05 PM
jds

162 posts, read 457,745 times
My husband got a job offer he 'couldn't refuse' and that's why we're here. $$$ talks I wish it were that easy to go back! NJ and PA aren't known for 'balmy' weather. I don't know where you got that. I'd like to hear your recommendations for restaurants - I can't think of any we haven't tried in the 2 years we've been here. We miss shopping - even Macy's would be a plus And don't tell me to drive 3 hours to Chicago when we had all the stores anyone could want within 30 minutes of where we lived. No food store choices - no Costco - no Baily, Banks & Biddle, not even a Toys R Us if we wanted to buy a gift for a child, etc. etc. Not a day goes by when I don't miss something we had back East. There's also nothing to do - we drive 2 hours to Des Moines to see plays. And all we see are farms in the drive. At least we're closer to AZ now for retirement.

just to let you know drive to cedar rapids... toys r us 30 mins away old chicago in coralville try there its a good place or try bostons over by the coralridge mall good also..... i dont like iowa either its boring been here all mylife im getting ready to relocate for school here in jan of 2008 but IOWA CITY is a very nice place especially those damn hawkeye football games simply amazing!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City