Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:41 PM

7 posts, read 27,056 times

Advertisements

James Smith puts on seminars in all parts of the United States. He talks about real estate investing, and land trusts, and that type of thing. Does anyone have any feedback on him? I can't find many reviews. I don't have a good feeling about it, but who knows, maybe I am just a skeptic. Anything would be helpful.

Oh, and they learned about this seminar through the Get Motivated seminar in Orlando, in 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 06:01 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush2cheney View Post
James Smith puts on seminars in all parts of the United States. He talks about real estate investing, and land trusts, and that type of thing. Does anyone have any feedback on him? I can't find many reviews. I don't have a good feeling about it, but who knows, maybe I am just a skeptic. Anything would be helpful.

Oh, and they learned about this seminar through the Get Motivated seminar in Orlando, in 2009.
Who or what is James Smith? Therein lies my response.

RE investing: buy a REIT
Land Trusts: Buy a REIT that invests in Land trusts.
Motivation is one thing. About emotions. Investing is another. About controlling emotions.

You are better off going to Disneyworld.

S.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Anyone trying to tell the people to buy real estate now is either ready for the insane house or they really think the public is that stupid and gullable. Investing in real estate now is like investing in a record company and hoping phonographs will come back.

America is in the worst depression since 1928. Unemployment is the highest since records were kept. Factory production is at it's lowest since 1916. Forclosures are now higher then the first depression with some cities having 70% of the entire home inventory in some stage of foreclosure. Retirement nest eggs have lost $100 billion dollars....poof....all gone. Home equity loss has exceeded over $3 trillion. And you want to invest in real estate?

Even buying a primary residence right now is koo koo. Especially if you pay top price from the MLS when there are discounted foreclosures and auction sales everywhere.

The program you speak of is just another Carlton Sheets, Russ Whitney, Tom Vu or the most famous one of all Robert Allen......are all scams.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:08 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,242,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush2cheney View Post

Real Estate is a game best played when you already have some cash. If you have some cash, great. I would recommend hiring a local real estate agent that is familiar with your area and seeing if a particular real estate investment pencils out. Think long term for appreciation and be conservative with the numbers on rental yield.

If you don't have a lot of cash and what this guy is peddling is a "real estate system" for $2000 dollars or some other fly-by-knight, Carleton Sheets crap, I have two words....stay away.

Its probably information you can find out on your own if you are motivated enough to learn and even then is far too risky for the average investor to play with.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 17,629 times
I attended the Get Motivated seminar as well...and to be honest had never heard of James Smith until that event. Lots of fluff and hype if you ask me.

You will fare better by joining your local Real Estate Investors Club...much more affordable, and you learn from local investors who are familiar with your market and who actually know what it takes to be successful. I joined the Central Florida Realty Investors [mod edit - 10 post to link off site] , and have learned a wealth of information for pennies on the dollar of what Mr. Smith was charging. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by Oildog; 05-18-2010 at 09:36 AM..

Old 05-18-2010, 01:40 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
his seminars last long enough to get your money!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:22 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,566 times
When I read about people attending these "seminars" I have to ask myself: Why would a person, who think they have come up with with the latest/greatest system to make money, turn around and start giving seminars on how the system works? Don't you think that their time would be better spent making money with their system instead?

Answer: The system isn't the money maker, the seminar is the money maker.

Something to think about before dropping your hard-earned coin just to listen to some guy in a fancy suit talk about how he got rich.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:04 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
I have the Carlton Sheets material all downloaded for free from the net several years ago. I only tried to listen to the DVDs once. Nothing extraordinary. It is collecting dust somewhere in my house. I gave copies to my friends and they're telling me that it is collecting dust somewhere in their house also...lol.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:19 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
A Guide to Going Bankrupt in Real Estate!!! | Faith Between Us

you got to love these get rich quick guys lol

Old 08-10-2010, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 14,458 times
I attended the $49 seminar they had from Get Motivated. I like many had never heard of him before but was impressed with his talk enough to go. Just for the humor alone it was worth going. His son taught most of the course and he was very good. I have been real estate investing for 1o years now and I learned a lot in the 3 days that was well worth the money spent. I am considering attending one of the extra seminars. Yea they cost a lot of money but the cost is really relative. I have learned invaluable ideas from every seminar that I have attended from Russ Whitney, Carlton Sheets, Ron LeGrand etc. They make plenty of money off the seminars but if you do one deal in your lifetime the ideas you learn will more than make up for the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing