Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 06:24 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,305,539 times

Advertisements

I'm mostly concerned with GOOG since I'm holding some.

Opinions - which ones look good, long term?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 06:37 AM

106,805 posts, read 109,039,935 times
My guess is Amazon is to shopping what vanguard was to indexing ..

They sold the public on a way of doing things ..

That is the hardest part .

To take people who are used to touching and sniffing what they buy and having it sight unseen many times delivered to their door isn’t easy .

Today it is easier to mimic them since doing business that way is main stream.

We order from Walmart as I hate having to edit every order with Amazon so they don’t automatically charge me freight or slip in Amazon prime

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-28-2022 at 06:57 AM..

Old 10-28-2022, 06:49 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,262,482 times
Amazon makes most of their money from AWS and a lesser extent from ads. I don't think retail contributes much.

Amazon is best positioned since AWS is upstream of consumer-facing businesses. Several of the big names and a whole lot of startups rely on AWS. These would all have to fail before AWS would fail.

Apple is in a good position because of smartphone buying habits and market share.

Microsoft has both on-prem licenses and cloud revenue from enterprise. Very stable.

Google is okay but they are losing the war to SEO spam and search quality is declining. They are not diversified like MSFT and almost all of their attempts to find revenue outside ads have failed.

Meta stinks.

Old 10-28-2022, 06:54 AM

9,425 posts, read 8,401,916 times
I sold many META shares a while back, I simply no longer trust Zuckerberg and their management enough to warrant such a big position. There seems to continue to be a huge backlash over their platform lately from all sides. Having said that they still have literally billions of daily users and that cannot be replicated easily. Advertising ROI on Facebook is still around 10% so for every $1 you spend you get back $1.10 in revenue, that still resonates with a lot of firms. Still holding onto some shares for the long-term but not something I would be holding now if I'm trying to make a quick buck.

Old 10-28-2022, 07:09 AM

5,484 posts, read 6,325,370 times
META is a disaster. Their main product, Facebook, is passé these days, and sorry, but Reels is not going to compete with Tik Tok. Their business is dependent on a cyclical ad revenue, and their CEO just burned through every dollar of FCF with his Metaverse obsession that is doomed to failure, because nobody over the age of 14 really cares about virtual real estate, and Apple is going to destroy them on the hardware side. Does Zuck really think META can compete with Apple VR headsets? What's Meta's history with hardware???? He's obsessed with Metaverse, and he's taking the company and shareholders on an all costs kamikaze run towards failure. And you can't fire him.

PS: Did you see Jim Cramers "apology" yesterday for recommending META stock? Wow, just wow.

Amazon is a collection of businesses, the biggest of which is a low/no margin retailer that's never really produced any earnings. AWS is outstanding, but not enough to overcome the burdens of the other low margin businesses. Plus you've got major labor issues - no one wants to work for Amazon anymore, unionization issues, etc. Jeff Bezos is out, and he's more interested in buying yachts and building spaceships anyhow. No thank you.

Netflix never belonged in this group in the first place.

Apple, Microsoft and Google are the only ones run by grown ups who care about things like earnings, and I would be ok owning any of them long term - in that order, and only at the right price.
Contrary to what we've all heard the last few years, valuation DOES matter.

Old 10-28-2022, 07:47 AM

6,774 posts, read 5,075,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
META is a disaster. Their main product, Facebook, is passé these days, and sorry, but Reels is not going to compete with Tik Tok. Their business is dependent on a cyclical ad revenue, and their CEO just burned through every dollar of FCF with his Metaverse obsession that is doomed to failure, because nobody over the age of 14 really cares about virtual real estate, and Apple is going to destroy them on the hardware side. Does Zuck really think META can compete with Apple VR headsets? What's Meta's history with hardware???? He's obsessed with Metaverse, and he's taking the company and shareholders on an all costs kamikaze run towards failure. And you can't fire him.

PS: Did you see Jim Cramers "apology" yesterday for recommending META stock? Wow, just wow.

Amazon is a collection of businesses, the biggest of which is a low/no margin retailer that's never really produced any earnings. AWS is outstanding, but not enough to overcome the burdens of the other low margin businesses. Plus you've got major labor issues - no one wants to work for Amazon anymore, unionization issues, etc. Jeff Bezos is out, and he's more interested in buying yachts and building spaceships anyhow. No thank you.

Netflix never belonged in this group in the first place.

Apple, Microsoft and Google are the only ones run by grown ups who care about things like earnings, and I would be ok owning any of them long term - in that order, and only at the right price.
Contrary to what we've all heard the last few years, valuation DOES matter.
Excellent summary. I agree on all points.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:32 AM

37,648 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post

I don't own any of them (other than what might be in funds I hold). I rarely ever buy stocks.
I do own Apple, bought on a whim a few years ago. It was a good whim.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:39 AM

13,584 posts, read 15,682,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Amazon makes most of their money from AWS and a lesser extent from ads. I don't think retail contributes much.

Amazon is best positioned since AWS is upstream of consumer-facing businesses. Several of the big names and a whole lot of startups rely on AWS. These would all have to fail before AWS would fail.

Apple is in a good position because of smartphone buying habits and market share.

Microsoft has both on-prem licenses and cloud revenue from enterprise. Very stable.

Google is okay but they are losing the war to SEO spam and search quality is declining. They are not diversified like MSFT and almost all of their attempts to find revenue outside ads have failed.

Meta stinks.
Made me immediately think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0LAs7X5ybE

Old 10-28-2022, 11:42 AM

6,774 posts, read 5,075,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post

I've owned Google (now Alphabet) and Apple for more than ten years, and still holding.

Bought Microsoft in 2020, and still holding.

No interest in the others.

Old 10-28-2022, 02:08 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,301,322 times
I own GOOG, MSFT, AMZN, AAPL and NVDA. I got crushed on the first three. I added to my GOOG position before earnings, what a mistake.
I plan to hold them all though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing