Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 06:04 PM

671 posts, read 900,321 times

Advertisements

So I frequently log in to a personal gmail account and other google apps at work and even use Google itself for searches. Nothing bad, just work stuff.

I was wondering if everything is "synced up", so for example if I searched something at home that might be inappropriate for work, will that somehow log on my work computer in Chrome and be something IT can see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 06:24 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,070 times
Google keeps track of your search history, I think. Maybe you can delete that. Actually, if you're not careful and use Android on your phone, it can follow you around town.

Anyway, if you search at home and then log in at work, maybe someone in IT could get ahold of your search history? Sounds far fetched, but I'm no expert.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:05 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
Realistically speaking, most IT depts are looking at traffic going across the network than anything else. And when I say "looking", I mean they're blocking and logging. They typically will review only if needed.

To answer your question - If you go into Chrome settings, you can see what is synched for your account. Thus, whatever is checked (including NSFW stuff) will now be on your work computer. So yea, in a way, they can potentially see that. But I can't imagine that would be an issue as it won't trip any alarms. Of course, if you're showing something on your computer to your manager, and you have some blatant NSFW bookmark showing... you may need to explain.

In the end, yes, they can see, if they're looking for it. And 99% of the time, they're not. They're more worried about you bringing malicious stuff in or sending intellectual property out.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:18 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
And you can turn off that synching too.

SETTINGS > ADVANCED SYNC SETTINGS

Old 01-12-2016, 09:45 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,656 times
Use Firefox and enable Private Browsing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet