Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 05:45 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,748,087 times

Advertisements

You don't know what a black widow spider is?

I'm sorry that your boss has experienced racism, but I'm not one of those people. Typical Central Indiana response ... nice. I understand the dark racist history of this state. It doesn't mean that I am part of the problem. As for the allergy issue ... yes, I know about that too, I merely stated that there are several allergy sufferers in this state and there are doctors that can help.

Good luck with your move to Kentucky.

But who am I? I'm just one of those so called "funny" people who live in Fishers ... remember that crack? Please, if you have issues with me, pm me and stop airing your issues out with me on this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,760 times
Angry Mold in Indiana, not any worse than anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Carmella View Post
I cannot give you any comparrisions, but I can give you a very important warning if you suffer from allergies... Stay away from Indiana!!! My family and I are packing up and getting ready to head to New Mexico. The mold here in Indiana is HORRIBLE!!! We lived in a moldy house for 5 years and we are now all very sick all the time and have so many health problems, that most days we cannot even go outside. It really is horrible here if you are an allergy suffer. I would have given most anything if someone would have told us how dangerous molds are before we moved to this town where you can smell the fungus the minute you get off the interstate. Do a google search on toxic mold and read some of the articles it pulls up, many are written by doctors.

Sorry to throw out the bad news here, but it is serious and will destroy your whole families life, and worse! I just cannot sit back any longer and watch peopple dieing from this horrible cancerous thing that is running rampunt through the midwest.

Carmella
I lived there for 30 plus years, and have no idea what on earth you could possibly be talking about. The house you bought may have been full of mold, but you bought it, no Inspection??
The humidity there was often lower than here in Texas where I now live.... and no Fire Ants, Scorpions, Tarantulas, Rattlesnakes up there either.....Lots of luck out in New Mexico. Have friends there, and I know just what you will get there!!!

Old 06-14-2007, 10:28 AM

6 posts, read 28,406 times
Smile Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG ISLANDERS View Post
We are interested in moving to Indiana, but we are concerned about the winters. Are they similar or worse than New Yorks? I am a mailman and can't stand working in New York cold anymore. Don't want to go down south because half the country is either going down there or already down there. How is the real estate? Looking for atleast 5 bedrooms. How are the schools? If anyone can give any information about the state or any part of the state that would be great.
Winters are mild. If you want a lot of house for little money and don't mind driving about 25-30 miles to work (in the Lafayette Indiana area), there are a lot of small towns with great opportunities for a lot of land for little money. We are in that area and there is a great private school in a small town called Fowler (47944). You can visit the town site at www.townoffowler.com and the schools website is www.sacredheartfowler.org - Sacred Heart of Fowler. Schools out paces pretty much all of the area schools.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:35 AM

13 posts, read 51,152 times
Well, back to your original question about any part of the state and the cold weather. The southern part of Indiana is great. I was born and raised in Indianapolis and raised a family sw of Indianapolis. At the age of 38 My husband and I bought down in so. Indiana and we love it. The atmosphere is family geared and there are tons of entertainment to choose from. Our winters here, just 30 minutes from Louisville, are mild compared to north and central part of the state. Like most places you will have some cold and snow but in the southern part of the state it is not quite as bad. The central part of the state got hit exceptionally hard this past winter. I think the weather has something to do with the river down here. We miss most of the snow but do get rain. To address the mold issue, I can tell you after 30 years in the real estate business that you really cant go anywhere without mold being present. There are different types of mold that are present due to certain circumstances. It is always a good idea to have a home inspection and to indclude a mold inspection, especially if you have allergies. I talk to many realtors in different states and they all deal with the same issue. Really it is everywhere. There are things you can do to help keep it to a minimum. I personally have a small house on a private lake with alot of shade trees. There has always been a moldy smell around the home but if you clean your home with peroxide it really helps to eliminate it. It is much better than bleach. Also, make sure there is a vapor barrier under the home. That is a major mold stopper. Without a vapor barrier, as I understand it, moisture from the ground will absourb into the floor joist and can give the mold type odor without actual mold setting in or it can help create the perfect setting for mold without the barrier in some locations. It is all about location and air flow, from what I have been taught. You should check out southern Indiana, I think you would like it. We do.

Last edited by CanopyRE2007; 06-15-2007 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: typo-not quite as bad-sorry

Old 06-15-2007, 08:58 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,756,620 times
^^^Speaking of S. Indiana, I would like to somehow cross link the threads that pertain to Louisville and its suburbs and exurbs in Indiana. Citydata is divided by states, but in reality Jeffersonville all the way up to Scotsburg, IN (and maybe even further) are more reliant on Louisville for news, media, and culture. Anyhow, if anyone is interested in S. Indiana, I think they should consider the entire Kentuckiana region, as many do not think across geographic boundaries.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:21 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,069,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG ISLANDERS View Post
We are interested in moving to Indiana, but we are concerned about the winters. Are they similar or worse than New Yorks? I am a mailman and can't stand working in New York cold anymore. Don't want to go down south because half the country is either going down there or already down there. How is the real estate? Looking for atleast 5 bedrooms. How are the schools? If anyone can give any information about the state or any part of the state that would be great.
winters in central indiana are some what better snowplows are more numerous here than in most places. if you are looking for a great school corporation for your kids plainfield community school corporation is the place to go. since you are looking for a large house forest creek a subdivision within plainfield community schools-(plainfield,indiana) is now opening with large 1-7 bedroom houses starting a 175,000? i think good luck

Old 06-19-2007, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,653 times
I have lived in the suburbs of chicago all of my life. My parents moved to Avon Indiana a year ago, now they want me to do the same.I have 2 kids and need good schools, my husband is worried about jobs in that area and Im looking for that idea of quite small town living. Is avon the place for me?

Old 06-20-2007, 06:34 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,748,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzy21 View Post
I have lived in the suburbs of chicago all of my life. My parents moved to Avon Indiana a year ago, now they want me to do the same.I have 2 kids and need good schools, my husband is worried about jobs in that area and Im looking for that idea of quite small town living. Is avon the place for me?
Have a "vacation" there for a couple weeks and see if you like it. We moved from the Chicago area to Valpo and then Fishers and now Columbus haven't regretted it one bit. Avon has very good schools, so you really can't go wrong. You'll notice a little more money in your bank account too.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:36 AM

Exclamation santa claus

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2move View Post
I have been looking into Santa Claus Indiana... I live in CA now and have two young boys. I visited last summer and from what I can see, the schools seemed pretty good. Well funded (as opposed to Cali) and good curriculum (based on other families I know there). Also, the real estate was awesome!

I have to admit though, I am freaked about tornados

Anyone know about Santa Claus or Dale?
santa claus is a great place. when severe weather comes it pays to have a basement indiana weather is very unstable it can be snowing in the north drought conditions in the south tornadic activity in the west and perfect weather in the east if you follow the directions the weather forecasters and police give you will be alright. P.S. when you here sirens that go off and sound like sirens from the cold war era please go inside and indiana does suffer earthquakes just like california everyone is concerned about the new madrid fault they fear a earthquake great than the loma prieta will strike soon in southern indiana

Old 06-21-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzy21 View Post
I WILL BE HONEST WITH YOU AS BEING A LONG TIME RESIDENT OF THE AREA I PERSONALY THINK AVON IS WAY OVERRATED. PROPERTY TAXES IN AVON HAS SKYROCKETED UP ABOUT 50% WHICH IS OUTRAGEOUS. AVON HAS SEVERE TRAFFIC PROBLEMS THE ONLY REAL EAST-WEST ROUTE IS U.S. 36 WHICH IS BADLY JAMMED WITH TRAFFIC NO MATTER WHAT TIME OF DAY. THE ONLY REAL NORTH-SOUTH ROUTES ARE IN 267 AND DAN JONES ROAD THEY BOTH ARE PLAGUED WITH HEAVY TRAFFIC NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF DAY AVON IS ALSO A VERY EXPENSIVE PLACE TO LIVE A PLACE WHERE YOU FIND $10 COFFEES AND $25 MUGS I CAN GO ON AND ON ABOUT AVON BUT I WILL ONLY SAY PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM AVON HEAD TOWARDS PLAINFIELD OR DANVILLE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana