Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 07:40 AM

52 posts, read 188,145 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the tip. By the way, ever tried the strombolli's at Nick's in bloomington? Those aren't bad either.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:17 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,158,454 times
quicksilverms
I don't get down to Bloomington very much and am up here by Purdue. Strombolli wasn't one of my favorites growing up and was a lower tier choice compared to great Italian pizza and Italian sausage sandwiches.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:53 AM

52 posts, read 188,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
quicksilverms
I don't get down to Bloomington very much and am up here by Purdue. Strombolli wasn't one of my favorites growing up and was a lower tier choice compared to great Italian pizza and Italian sausage sandwiches.
I've never had the opportunity to sample any favorites around lafayette as a result of having to send vast quantities of cash to my daughter while she studied at Purdue. I'm sure she could provide some insight on both food and drink in your neck of the woods.

My travels tended to take me to southern indiana for personal interests and Nicks seemed to be a good halfway point. Stromboli's are a newly introduced food group to me born out of the desire to have something other than hot wings for a change while dining out so I'm not really an expert. I generally crave the southern food groups.....okra, fried chicken, black eyed peas, cornbread, rice and tomatoes...etc.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:25 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
I miss my bucket of beer at Nicks.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:28 PM

LOL Domergurl, shame on you. you can get beer anywhere including in Munich. You can't find good Italian meatballs anywhere.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:37 PM

246 posts, read 1,057,811 times
Default highliner

I can't help you in the admirable search for good meatballs (God bless ya'!), but I can help with info about the loss of railway excursion service. Operation of a railway is EXTREMELY expensive- I've been involved with freight transportation as a sideline to law enforcement for over 20 years- and for a shortline operation like Logansport and Eel River, it would be astronomical. Not only that, but the management of said railroad has had a very bad reputation in the shortline industry. I'll stop short of opening myself to libel litigation, but various railroads in this part of the country have a lot of ugly stories about "lost" billing, interchange orders not published, and an attitude of " we'll spot/release the da** cars when we da** well want to", as well as sloppy customer service. Their freight times were even worse than the old Penn Central. I'd be afraid to justify a 15 day turnaround on a line less than 10 miles in length, but they apparently weren't. Does this line even still offer freight interchange? More pertinently, perhaps, is the fact that steam locomotive maintenance is highly specialized, read expensive as heck. That is the main reason why so many of today's shortline excursions are diesel powered; not due to a lack of interest, just a lack of readies($$). I hope that this proves helpful.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:35 AM

highliner
the hunt for delicious Italian meatballs in Indiana is more important to me than finding an old steam locomotive. Please don't ask me to come down to Ky to try to find good Italian meatballs.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:38 PM

246 posts, read 1,057,811 times
Default highliner

I used to know a great place in Noblesville, but since that crack about steam locomotion, I'm just not gonna tell you. So there! Besides, I forgot what its called.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highliner View Post
I used to know a great place in Noblesville, but since that crack about steam locomotion, I'm just not gonna tell you. So there! Besides, I forgot what its called.

highliner, I told you were to get some of the best meatballs. the least you can do is tell me about your great meatball finds in this state.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:14 PM

5 posts, read 18,562 times
Default Logansport, What it could be

Hello all,

I am sure that most of you who read this already know me. I have lived off and on in Logansport for most of my life. I just bought a house there and am moving back in April 07'. As I drive through the city, I see a lot of changes. Some of them are good and some of them are bad. I would like to focus this post on "What Logansport Could Be".

I am sure that most anyone can point out the obvious when it comes to negative factors about the city. Most residents probably blame the local government or the increase in minorities. Most residents have opinion based on what conversation and ideas that their peers share with one another. I would like to point out the positive efforts though first, and then the negative, moving finally to a conclusion on how to ultimately make things better in OUR town.

In the last few years, I have seen a great upgrade to the aesthetic value of landscaping and ornaments throughout the city. The carosel horse that sits just tangent to the China Lane is a simple yet effective addition. I have seen some residents put faith in the city by upgrading the exterior and yards of their homes. I know that the current mayor (Fincher) has put much effort in making funds available to upgrade sidewalks, parks, and the most impressive Little Turtle Waterway. There are continual efforts by individuals to make their own "part" of the city as nice as possible. The city has came a long way, but has much farther to come. It is not only the city's responsibility to create a pleasant environment, but each of ours. With that said, let's take a look at the negative factors.

The first negative aspect of the city is its "run-down" look. Although it was better than even 3yrs ago, it still needs a vast makeover. Unfortunately, we cannot just sit by and say "Logansport is a dead city. There is no reason to upgrade my home, I will never get out of it what I put in. Why should I care if there is trash sitting around in yards and grafiti on the public parks? This place is terrible and it is pointless to care!" However, as I frequent local establishments, this is the attitude that many people have. A lot of residents (particularly the younger generation 20s to 30s) go to work, if they have a job, and then spend a majority of free time in the bars or just hanging out. I am not judging too harshly, I like to go visit the Old Style from time to time. I am judging the fact that people need to begin to care about Logansport on a personal level. This is the city that I grew up in. This is the place my kids are going to grow up in. I want the best for them, myself, and my community. All I am saying is, have you even thought about what you can do to make a positive impact to help the city? If you have, wonderful, but you are a minority. We all know it is easier to see the problem with others than with ourselves, but we need have enough courage inside and ask, "What can I do?"

Here are a list of things that I would like to see happen to improve what could be a very beautiful city. First of all, I think we need more community activities. We need a place for our children to go and grow and be safe. We need a safe and beautiful place for them to learn and have fun. As far as I know, the YMCA is the only place that offers things like this.
Most of Logansport's young parents do not have extra money to join the YMCA and it is those who need it most who suffer. What alternative do we have? There are multilple parks. What of the parks though- how do they stack up against the parks of neighboring cities?

I visited Happy Hollow park today with my kids (Lafayette). There, they have a "tikes" playground and a larger playground for kids 5-12 yrs old as well. They offer a walking trail that allows people to enjoy nature at its purest form (blooming buds on trees, new growth, ect) in the Spring. By the way...HAPPY SPRING! We have riverside park, which is okay...but could see a great renovation. We have Spencer Park, which has seen a great renovation and is pretty nice (the playgrounds and such). The South side of town has Fairview Park, which takes its name to full worth...it is only a "fair-view". Okay okay...most of the parks could see improvements. How do we do it though?
The last time I visited Riverside Park, there were many children running around (about 20-30) and only 3 adults! What is that? Why are the kids there without supervision? This is not the city's fault, it is the residents to whom the kids belong! The problem is that the parks are not safe because the parents are not there to enforce the rules. Parents....Where are you!!!?? Why is it that when I visit the park with my kids, I end up almost babysitting someone elses kids as well? That is the reason that parks are flooded with unsupervised children who do as they please and make a visit to the park an un-enjoyable experience to kids like mine.
The solution, parents need to be present. The city needs to pass a law that says that parents of kids need to be with them to visit the parks. Well, maybe not parents, but an adult of somekind. I am tired of seeing 7yr olds watch 3yr olds without a parent. It is against the law to leave them at home alone, so why shouldn't the parks require it too? It does a dis-service to not only the kids that have the parents there, but to the kids who's parents aren't there. After all, a 7 yr old is not concerned with watching the 3yr old...they just want to be a kid and play. Final note on this....Parents, you had the kids...take the responsibility to watch and participate in their lives. They will appreciate it as much as I will.

I am going to continue to post "problem/solution" blogs on here. I just found this site and think I am going to like it. I encourage anyone in Logansport to post what they feel about the city and how they feel it can be improved. Another post could be about an improvement that you have seen benefit the community as a whole. So for the few who write on here....let's make our voice heard!

Note to Mayor Mike Fincher.... I saw a post of yours on here the other day...I am not sure how long ago you wrote it...but I would love to see you active on this site. I know you love Logansport, and what better way to encourage participation and caring about the city than to lead by example with your thoughts posted where everyone can have access.

I hope to see all of your thoughts real soon. thanks for reading
SEGER
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana