Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 12:39 PM

65 posts, read 91,543 times

Advertisements

Currently, I am living between Mid-Michigan and Central Ohio – roughly spend half the year in one area and the other half in the other. And I am considering selling both my home (condos) and buy a single family home in the Warsaw area in Indiana (since it is closer to family, etc)

Warsaw in particular seems to be nice and nifty town. What other towns or villages in that area or vicinity would be considered equivalent in terms of safety, amenities, etc?

Another concern of mine is severe weather like tornados, severe storms, etc; and the State of Indiana is famous for those. What type and level or risk would one be looking at in moving to that part of the State (Warsaw, IN)?

Any insight would be appreciated.

p { line-height: 115%; margin-bottom: 0.1in; background: transparent }a:link { color: #000080; text-decoration: underline }
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 01:47 PM

468 posts, read 465,572 times
You might consider Columbia City. It's east of Warsaw and closer to Fort Wayne (Indiana's 2nd largest city). Auburn also might be a decent choice. It's north of Fort Wayne and is a nice city.

I'm in my 70s, born and raised in Indiana, and lived there for 2/3 of my life and yet I've never seen a tornado. I've lived in central Indiana, northeast Indiana and southwest indiana and even though there have been tornadoes nearby I've yet to encounter one. I lived in Florida for 10 years, though, and encountered 2 major hurricanes. Tornadoes do happen in northern Indiana but it wouldn't be something I'd worry about. Buy a house with a basement and you'll probably be alright.

Old 09-17-2023, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
You might consider Columbia City. It's east of Warsaw and closer to Fort Wayne (Indiana's 2nd largest city). Auburn also might be a decent choice. It's north of Fort Wayne and is a nice city.

I'm in my 70s, born and raised in Indiana, and lived there for 2/3 of my life and yet I've never seen a tornado. I've lived in central Indiana, northeast Indiana and southwest indiana and even though there have been tornadoes nearby I've yet to encounter one. I lived in Florida for 10 years, though, and encountered 2 major hurricanes. Tornadoes do happen in northern Indiana but it wouldn't be something I'd worry about. Buy a house with a basement and you'll probably be alright.
It is good to know that. Your perspective gives a lot of insights into the severe weather question in the State of Indiana. Still, Indiana has a lot more tornadoes than Michigan, for instance, even though they tend to be small, sparse and not that powerful.

Columbia City seems to be a good candidate too. I will look closer into it.

Thanks for your insights.

Old 09-18-2023, 06:26 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
I'm not sure where you're trying to be, further west in Indiana, south, etc. But I would also look at Goshen. It's about 30 minutes north of Warsaw but is a really nice city. That could put you within 30-45 minutes of everything available in the South Bend/Mishawaka area. Downtown Goshen especially has seen a lot of improvements over the years.

And I agree with the previous poster. I've lived almost my whole life in Indiana. I grew up in Goshen and spent a few years in Elkhart and Mishawaka, lived in Fort Wayne, and now am in the Indy area. I've never seen a tornado. I've been in plenty of tornado warnings but in 46 years I've never seen one or been directly affected by one.

Old 09-20-2023, 04:42 PM

Actually, I am considering any small town or suburban area that is safe and has amenities and not too far from a major metropolitan area. So, Warsaw did seem to fit the bill.

Some of my relatives live near Chicago, IL. But I really don't like the political landscape there neither do I like the insane property taxes that a levied on properties there. Also, I don't want to live close to the lakes due to all the snow fall due the lake effect.

The thing about tornados is that a severe one can destroy everything you have accumulated throughout your life. I understand that the odds of one touching down right where you live and concomitantly being very powerful is low, but it is always a risk.

Thanks!

Old 09-21-2023, 11:47 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Hartford City is pretty nice little town but there's not much there. About 6,000. It's about 20 minutes from Muncie and Marion and about an hour from Ft Wayne. Bluffton is a nice little town, too. It's seems more prosperous than Hartford City. It's bigger, about 10,000 and there's more to do. There is the Bluffton Clinic/Hospital and it was very common for many people in Muncie to go to the Bluffton Clinic when they'd get sick. I never really knew why so many people in Muncie would go to the Bluffton Clinic when Muncie had Ball Hospital - a regional hospital about 5 times bigger than the Bluffton Clinic. But it seemed like i was always hearing of somebody in Muncie going to Bluffton for one ailment or another.

Old 09-24-2023, 09:37 PM

Thanks. I will check out Hartford City and Buffon along with Columbia City. After skimming through some info and stats about, they seem promising places.

I did stop by at Warsaw, IN, while travelling from Skokie, IL to Columbus, OH. I kind of like it; the atmosphere, the people, everything looked tidy and clean.

Maybe the Bluffton Clinic had better and more renowned physicians on their staff. And sometimes word of mouth can go a long way.

I heard that South Bend is not a good location overall, and the only thing they have going for them is the College (Notre Drame). Guess most medium size cities will have shady/sketchy areas.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:33 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Valparaiso and Chesterton areas are nicer than Warsaw by far.

Old 09-27-2023, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Valparaiso and Chesterton areas are nicer than Warsaw by far.
Valpariaso and Chesterton seemed to be very nice and are located near the city of Chicago and close to the lakes. Being close to Chicago (about 55min) would imply that folks from IL would seek housing there as well (higher demand), and houses there seem to be more expensive. Also, being that close to the Great Lakes also would imply tons of lake effect snow.

How about Avilla and Auburn (I went to Auburn and to car museum there, but that was many years ago)? Do you know them? Avilla seems to be a very small town.

Old 09-28-2023, 06:19 AM

468 posts, read 465,572 times
Avilla is more "small townish" than Auburn. Auburn has been growing steadily. I left Fort Wayne 10 years ago but returned to Indiana earlier this year and Auburn was a place I had considered moving to. It's close enough to Ft Wayne to go to the things Ft Wayne has to offer but far enough away to avoid some of Ft Wayne's problems.

There are 2 towns northeast of Ft Wayne called Leo and Grabill that might appeal to you. They are in Amish territory and people were moving into that area back when I still lived in Ft Wayne. Those used to be peaceful areas. Not sure what they are like now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana