Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 01:34 PM

89 posts, read 113,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Thanks for the update! Glad you found something. Given one of your comments a few posts back about snow, I think your wife will like living in Evansville much more than NWI or even the Indianapolis area. The difference in snow and temperatures is pretty significant. Even 10-15 miles can make a big difference in weather. Very often in Monroe County it will snow in the northern part of the county with nothing in the southern part of the county where I live.

Get to know i I will tell her she will definitely be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 03:45 PM

Just got back from Evansville, I loved everything about the area. My wife and I went to the Highschool and talked to the teachers and councilors. Went to the home I'm buying and I was blown away by the quality of the home. I didn't want to come back to California. I hit no traffic, I walked around down town didn't see and graffiti or trash. I talk to people and they were all about giving me information and letting me know about the area. Went to I nice pizza restaurant bought 4 beers and two pizzas and only paid $38. I couldn't believe it... I can't wait to move there.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:08 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahp45 View Post
Just got back from Evansville, I loved everything about the area. My wife and I went to the Highschool and talked to the teachers and councilors. Went to the home I'm buying and I was blown away by the quality of the home. I didn't want to come back to California. I hit no traffic, I walked around down town didn't see and graffiti or trash. I talk to people and they were all about giving me information and letting me know about the area. Went to I nice pizza restaurant bought 4 beers and two pizzas and only paid $38. I couldn't believe it... I can't wait to move there.
Wow, you're an odd ball. Someone leaving CA for IN and even southern IN!
I am familiar with all the problems in CA and don't blame you for leaving but southern IN would not be the spot I would move to in Indiana.
You might possibly get bored after all the excitement of visiting and moving is gone but then again I am not you and you might like it.

That all said, hope you enjoy wherever you move to

I grew up in NW Indiana and if I had to move back to the state I would pick the Indy area or NWI due to its proximity to Chicago. I think its great when one lives far enough from a big city where they can drop in on the weekend for events, museums etc while still being able to enjoy a more rural lifestyle and parts of NWI offer just that. Such areas are called far outer suburbs and are ideal IMO.

Last edited by WildWestDude; 10-05-2019 at 06:25 AM..

Old 10-05-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
I am familiar with all the problems in CA and don't blame you for leaving but southern IN would not be the spot I would move to in Indiana.
You might possibly get bored after all the excitement of visiting and moving is gone but then again I am not you and you might like it.

I grew up in NW Indiana and if I had to move back to the state I would pick the Indy area or NWI due to its proximity to Chicago. I think its great when one lives far enough from a big city where they can drop in on the weekend for events, museums etc while still being able to enjoy a more rural lifestyle and parts of NWI offer just that. Such areas are called far outer suburbs and are ideal IMO.

Done with the traffic and garbage schools. The house I got has my own swimming lake and enough land to ride quads and rzrs. My mortgage is low enough where I can afford to travel and visit the cities I have always wanted to see.

I like to watch sports, camp eat good food and help out in the local community.

Southern Indiana is perfect for me

https://b1iw.app.link/kmhrXbZ1x0

Old 10-23-2019, 08:05 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,006 times
I just got back from my short staycation to the Evansville area. We visited Garden of the Gods, New Harmony, Newburgh, and Henderson KY. I was really impressed with what the area had to offer in terms of the types of housing, river front areas/walking trails, and places to eat and shop. I'm not huge into the arts so I can't comment on aspects like concerts, plays, ballet, etc.. If someone was looking for a smaller metro area of around 200K people, the Evansville area is worth a look.

On the way back to Indy, we ended up driving through French Lick. We've never been there before and decided to check the area out. We might go back in the future sometime as we didn't have time to check out the West Baden Springs resort, only the hotel. The downtown shopping area was different than I imagined but had a nice collection of shops.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:49 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
I just got back from my short staycation to the Evansville area. We visited Garden of the Gods, New Harmony, Newburgh, and Henderson KY. I was really impressed with what the area had to offer in terms of the types of housing, river front areas/walking trails, and places to eat and shop. I'm not huge into the arts so I can't comment on aspects like concerts, plays, ballet, etc.. If someone was looking for a smaller metro area of around 200K people, the Evansville area is worth a look.

On the way back to Indy, we ended up driving through French Lick. We've never been there before and decided to check the area out. We might go back in the future sometime as we didn't have time to check out the West Baden Springs resort, only the hotel. The downtown shopping area was different than I imagined but had a nice collection of shops.
Oh you missed the better of the two hotels in French Lick in my opinion. French Lick resort is nice and historic. But the West Baden Springs resort is mind blowing. I could spend hours just relaxing in the atrium. You definitely need to get back and check that place out.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post

"Garden of gods" I can't wait to check that out.

I heard there is a awesome place for Fried chicken in Evansville. "hilltop inn"

I was supposed to close on my home this Friday, but the appraiser found a few repairs and made my bank aware of them. The repairs were completed and he is taking his time to get back out there.
Dude going to mess around and get a bad yelp and google review if he doesn't get his but in gear.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:24 PM

Just found another reason I'm excited to move to Indiana.

In California if you use electric from 4pm to 9pm its 57cents a kilowatt hour. The lowest you pay is 35 cents, and that is @12am to 6am.

In Evansville it looks like I will only haft to pay 14cents a kilowatt hour. And that is the price at any time of the day.

If I use 6000 kilowatt hr in a month in cali I would have a electric bill of $342. "I use the 57cents because it is at that time we are at home"

The same usage in Evansville $78

Old 10-26-2019, 01:38 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Oh you missed the better of the two hotels in French Lick in my opinion. French Lick resort is nice and historic. But the West Baden Springs resort is mind blowing. I could spend hours just relaxing in the atrium. You definitely need to get back and check that place out.
We will go back for sure. My wife was amazed by the ceiling murals at the French Lick hotel.

Quote:
It was worth the drive. They are considering a $5 daily fee. If they do that, I expect the forest service will start making improvements here and there. $5 isn't much, and they could likely build a small visitors center at a main intersection just to the south of the area. Might help bring in some more interest.

Quote:
I'm a huge fan of fried chicken. As such, I did a Google search and located the Hilltop Inn. While the place is pretty cool, the food was just basic. I like white meat chicken so I got that. Nothing really amazing about it. Their french fries were bland, no seasoning, no batter, etc.. They have very good prices though, and service was great. I would highly recommend you take a trip up I-65 to Washington/Montgomery Indiana. In this area there are three Amish restaurants: Knepp's, Gasthof, and Stoll's Lakeview. I've only eaten at Gasthof but my wife and I might take a trip down to Knepp's and eventually Stroll's just to compare them all. The friend chicken at Gasthof is more on the dry side, large pieces. They do a buffet, so call to make sure they offer friend chicken. When you get up there, get a cinnamon roll from the bakery. Try to get a freshly made one and eat it within a day. It was by far the best store bought cinnamon roll I've ever had.

If you are a diehard fan of friend chicken and you decided to do a staycation and see more of the state, the SE area of Indiana, along I-74/US-52 is known for their friend chicken. There are a few places on the far eastern edge of the state as well. The best pan friend chicken I've had was at Willow Springs in Hagerstown. They only serve it on certain days of the week though. Batesville and Oldenburg also offer a few places known for their pan friend chicken. Lastly, my wife and I just tried a new restaurant on the near north-side of Indy called Baby's Indy at 21st and Talbot. Really good broasted chicken. All of these places have their own unique seasoning blend, none have really been what I'd call hot. I wish the rest of the state would make chicken like this.

Also, if you like pizza, Pangea Kitchen in Evansville has one of the best Detroit style pan pizzas I've ever eaten. Definitely check them out.

Enjoy your new live adventure.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:30 PM

35,078 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post

Couple of things here.

Southern IN is the most rural and probably the most scenic part of the state. When I lived in Indy, southern IN was my "weekend escape" from the drabness of the Indy metro. There's a very slow pace of life there and southern IN is not "discovered" like a lot of other areas.

Employment is a concern. Pay is a concern, though the cost of living in that part of IN is extremely low. I wouldn't rule it out. If I were to move back to IN and jobs weren't a concern, southern IN would be on the shortlist.

Quote:

I was supposed to close on my home this Friday, but the appraiser found a few repairs and made my bank aware of them. The repairs were completed and he is taking his time to get back out there.
Dude going to mess around and get a bad yelp and google review if he doesn't get his but in gear.
Garden of the Gods is actually in Illinois. It's a 4-5 hour drive from Indy. It isn't close to the population centers in Indiana.

The food in Indiana is fairly simple. Sure, you can find chain dining and better dining in Indy and the bigger metros. The state's culinary claim to fame are pork tenderloins and sugar cream pies. I don't know anything about this specific place, but don't go to IN expecting killer restaurant food. The real gems are the farmer's markets where you can get really, really good cuts of meat. There are also a wider array of veggies and fruits for sale than you might expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana