Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2019, 07:02 PM

38 posts, read 28,199 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to live a few miles West of Spencer on a rural property. Spencer would be my nearest town. Is there any employment opportunity there? I suppose there isn't, but just thought I'd ask. Aside from employment, can you tell me anything about the town of Spencer that might be helpful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,952 times
This is my hometown. I have no idea where you are from so some of this might be "duh" and some might be helpful. I visit a few times a year but haven't lived there for awhile.

Employment options are minimal. There are two factories, Cook and Boston.

Shopping is also minimal. There is a Wal*Mart, but it isn't a super Wal*Mart. It is very small and doesn't offer much food. There is a CVS, two grocery shops (an expensive option and a Save A Lot), and a handful of restaurants. There is only one highschool. Lots of fast food options.

Expect to go to either Bloomington or Terre Haute for things.

Spencer has a weird culture. I don't know where you from, but it has a typical southern indiana vibe. If you are from the North it will be quite different. But on the other hand (not sure if due to Bloomington's proximity?) there is now a yearly gay pride festival and the downtown area is being revitalized (old theater plays movies, cafés, a thai restaurant part of the year, gift shop).

The landscape is unique and beautiful. The country is full of windy one lane roads and there are lots of hills. You will be close to Mccormick's Creek state park and it is worth many visits.

There was a very high profile case a few years back of an abducted baby who was killed. The details are horrible. I imagine it affected the community considerably so I tell you that in case you hear it referenced you have a head's up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana