Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 04:09 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,751,052 times

Advertisements

My DH attended classes at both Purdue Calumet campus and Purdue West Lafayette. His diploma does not stipulate which campus, just that he received his degree at Purdue University. The reason being is that one might take classes at different campuses depending what is offered where, as my DH had to. It doesn't matter where you attend as it's all the same University.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 08:41 PM

144 posts, read 161,431 times
Thanks for all of your feedback. It's interesting to me that people say IUPUI, it's a bit of a mouthful. Maybe in the future it'll be shortened to IU Indy or Purdue-Indy, or something.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:26 AM

148 posts, read 460,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialMaverick View Post
Thanks for all of your feedback. It's interesting to me that people say IUPUI, it's a bit of a mouthful. Maybe in the future it'll be shortened to IU Indy or Purdue-Indy, or something.
Like others, it's a joint campus, but its programs are differentiated by their affiliation with IU or PU. I think IUPUI is slowly becoming more independent, for example, there are now separate deans for the IU-Bloomington and IU-Indy Schools of Education. Other joint campuses are now seemingly moving toward one university or the other, but I don't know if IUPUI will head that route - it is much bigger than the other branch campuses. However, I'm not sure that IUPUI should become a distinct university - it *should* be an urban research university, but Indiana already has two outstanding state research universities, and probably could not fully support a third. I also cant imagine IU giving up its health and medicine programs in Indy.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:02 AM

10 posts, read 7,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodeca View Post
Like others, it's a joint campus, but its programs are differentiated by their affiliation with IU or PU. I think IUPUI is slowly becoming more independent, for example, there are now separate deans for the IU-Bloomington and IU-Indy Schools of Education. Other joint campuses are now seemingly moving toward one university or the other, but I don't know if IUPUI will head that route - it is much bigger than the other branch campuses. However, I'm not sure that IUPUI should become a distinct university - it *should* be an urban research university, but Indiana already has two outstanding state research universities, and probably could not fully support a third. I also cant imagine IU giving up its health and medicine programs in Indy.
IUPUI isn't becoming more independent from IU. IUPUI is organized as a core campus of IU. If you look at the branding of IUPUI, if anything, it is becoming more aligned with the IU system and less distinct. New multi-million dollar limestone signs were just built at the major entrances to campus and although they read IUPUI they have the IU marquee on them.

The reason there are two deans for the school of education is because the school split into two separate schools. This had to do with the significant differences in their missions and has nothing to do with IUPUI becoming more independent. The Kelley School of Business and the School of Public and Environmental Affairs (SPEA) are both core campus schools (located on both cores campuses - Bloomington and IUPUI - but headquartered in Bloomington) and there is no sign of that changing. Furthermore, the School of Medicine has increased its presence on all IU campuses and now allows students to complete their full medical education on most IU campuses without having to attend IUPUI.

There was only one other joint campus and that is IPFW which is now Purdue Fort Wayne. IU Fort Wayne is now distinct although it does have an operating agreement with Purdue for certain services. This has nothing to do with IU and everything to do with Purdue reorganizing its campuses.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialMaverick View Post
Hey all,

I just had a quick question about properly addressing certain universities/campuses in Indiana.

So I know that the Indiana University System is quite large, with two core campuses (one in Bloomington, one in Indianapolis) and it has several regional campuses across the state. I am wondering how to address these schools.

For example, let's say you went to Indiana University in Bloomington. You just say "I went to Indiana University." But what if you went to the Indianapolis campus, do you say "I went to Indiana University Indianapolis, or IUPUI, or Indiana-Purdue?" This is where I get a little confused.

Also, what if your program of study was at one of the regional campuses across the state. Would you then, for example, say "I studied at Indiana University-Fort Wayne, or IU Fort Wayne"? Does this applies to all of the regional campuses?

Same question applies to Purdue University and each of its campuses that are outside the main one located in West Lafayette.

Thanks!
You have received some good information but I will sum it up for you.

When it comes to everyday talk, if you say you went to IU or Indiana University, people will assume you are referring to IU Bloomington. This is because IU Bloomington is the oldest campus of IU and the Flagship campus. However, when writing a resume you would put that you graduated from Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN. This is because IUPUI is not a university but a campus name. Your degree is granted from Indiana University, Indianapolis. This holds true for all other campuses as well. Each campus grants their diplomas, Independent from Bloomington, but they are all Indiana University degrees.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The campus in NW Indiana is called Purdue Northwest now. The campus in Fort Wayne is Purdue Fort Wayne; technically IPFW was realigned making it primarily a Purdue campus with IU occupying a small space on the campus offering Health Service degrees. IUPUI is still the common name of the Indianapolis campus, but it is essentially IU Indianapolis these days. There was talk of re-naming the campus, however, the giant pillars being built along West Street say IUPUI Indianapolis...........for now.
I have heard others refer to the talk about Purdue splitting from IUPUI and the campus being renamed but I spoke with a friend who is a vice chancellor of IUPUI and she said this will never happen. A name change perhaps, but doubtful. IUPUI is trying to get its name out there and increase its reputation. Changing the name would likely set the campus back at this point.

It isn't unthinkable that something similar to the IPFW split couldn't happen but not likely as Purdue operates the School of Science which is a necessary component for any 4 year institution. I doubt Purdue would give up its presence in Indy and it couldn't survive on its own. Similarly, IU needs science courses in Indy. Both universities offered campuses in Indianapolis prior to the 1969 merger and it was seen by the state as redundant to have both universities operating in the same city and offering the same courses. So they encouraged the merger to save money. Faculty from IU Indianapolis had to merge into the the departments Purdue took control of and faculty from Purdue Indianapolis had to merge into IU operated departments. This was a pretty big deal and not welcomed by some faculty members from each respective university. I highly doubt all this would be undone at this point. There would be no benefit to be gained. People understand IUPUI to be an IU campus that has two Purdue schools. IU owns and operates IUPUI while Purdue is really just a necessary guest.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
I just did some research. My degree from IUPUI in early 2000s is a red and white "Indiana University" degree. However, in the wording it says something like "Given this x date at Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis" My wife graduated a few years later and her IU degrees say the same thing. One thing I did was search a #iupuc tag in Instagram. I knew someone would've posted a photo of their degree. That degree says "Indiana University" and towards the bottom says "given at Columbus, Indiana, (date)." I saw others that have printed Richmond and Kokomo. It took a while but I found a recent IUPUI degree from IU. Says the same thing mine says for the most part. I will say that I believe the Purdue Degrees are different with the colors and such.

Please make note that this could change at any time. Purdue had an uproar on their NW campus recently. The university was going to change the wording on those degrees, but I believe they said that for anyone who had started already, they wouldn't see a change. However, anyone incoming would see a change. Here is an article on it:

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/educat...d927e0d9e.html

As far as IUPUI, people say IUPUI. When it comes to "What university did you go to?" that will depend on the situation, the person asking, and what image the person being asked whats to convey. Some people who want others to perceive them as having when to one of the "flagship" campuses might just answer Purdue or IU and not specify it was a regional campus or IUPUI.
Purdue degrees offered at IUPUI are granted by Purdue University and are identical to all other Purdue University degrees although I don't know if they indicate which city or campus they were given at the way IU degrees do.

Looking at the article you linked it appears Purdue is creating more distinction between its campuses by changing the diplomas to align more with each campus. Legally, each Purdue campus is its own degree granting university. This is also true of each IU campus.

It also appears Purdue is trying to create distinct campuses. I believe this is how the University of California system works. Each campus has its own reputation and doesn't rely on the flagship campus for its reputation. For example, you have UCLA and UC Berkley. UCLA doesn't rely on Berkley for its reputation even though Berkley is, officially, the flagship campus of the University of California. The IU regional campuses have always relied on the reputation of Indiana University (Bloomington campus) reputation and have never really developed their own identities. This was true of Purdue as well but it looks like while IU is doubling down on keeping each campus connected to the core campuses, Purdue is trying to take a lesson from U of C by creating campuses that are more distinguished from each other. I am not sure how this will work for Purdue. Purdue has been reorganizing a lot as of late by combining Purdue Cal with Purdue NC into Purdue NW, splitting IPFW from IU and creating Purdue University Global through the acquisition of Kaplan university.

Last edited by shrinkdavid1982; 02-21-2019 at 02:34 AM..

Old 02-21-2019, 07:01 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,852,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdavid1982 View Post
Purdue degrees offered at IUPUI are granted by Purdue University and are identical to all other Purdue University degrees although I don't know if they indicate which city or campus they were given at the way IU degrees do.

Looking at the article you linked it appears Purdue is creating more distinction between its campuses by changing the diplomas to align more with each campus. Legally, each Purdue campus is its own degree granting university. This is also true of each IU campus.

It also appears Purdue is trying to create distinct campuses. I believe this is how the University of California system works. Each campus has its own reputation and doesn't rely on the flagship campus for its reputation. For example, you have UCLA and UC Berkley. UCLA doesn't rely on Berkley for its reputation even though Berkley is, officially, the flagship campus of the University of California. The IU regional campuses have always relied on the reputation of Indiana University (Bloomington campus) reputation and have never really developed their own identities. This was true of Purdue as well but it looks like while IU is doubling down on keeping each campus connected to the core campuses, Purdue is trying to take a lesson from U of C by creating campuses that are more distinguished from each other. I am not sure how this will work for Purdue. Purdue has been reorganizing a lot as of late by combining Purdue Cal with Purdue NC into Purdue NW, splitting IPFW from IU and creating Purdue University Global through the acquisition of Kaplan university.
I concur with your observations about UC. UC is (as you noted) different from such systems in other states. To start it, its establishment (as a system) was by specific design the 1950s-60s era to create three levels of higher education in the state: UC, CSU, JUCO. UC, of course, was the top and included research and heavy post graduate education as its goal.

UC is unique in that one of its universities (UCLA) began a peer institution like its original university (Cal). Obvious Cal and UCLA are equals (and there is no question that Cal and UCLA have special status in the system). The only state I can think of that might have something akin to this is Nevada where UNR and UNLV are pretty much equals (one associated with the south/LV, the other with the north/Reno)

Unlike other system, UC has real identity. I means something. Each UC carries prestige because it is UC. In comparison, UW-Madison has no effect on UWGB. In fact, in systems like Wisconsin, the non-flagships can seem to come across like branch campuses.

The idea of identifying the flagship university without mention of city name is common across the country. UW Madison is Wisconsin, UT Austin is Texas, UNC Chapel Hill is UNC. Auburn U in Auburn, AL, is "Auburn" while in Montgomery it is AUM.

In some cases, flagships that what were once assigned city names chose to drop them because they felt they interfered with the state wide role of the school....for example in one state, you have the University of Missouri becoming the University of Missouri at Columbia and returning to the University of Missouri.

I've often thought the reason we have so many Univ of ____ @ _____ is the success of the first such named, the one that invented it: UCLA. But we can't all be UCLA's.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:20 AM

35,111 posts, read 31,388,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdavid1982 View Post

The thing about the IU state system is that the regional schools are not really independent. They're just loca "branch offices" of the IU "head office."

Most state university systems don't operate this way - the local schools are their own entities.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:17 AM

6 posts, read 4,654 times
I've had three kids attend IU and one graduated from IU South Bend. I also did some post-grad work at IUSB. Though the diploma or certificate might just say "IU", to be able to say "IU Bloomington" has been a sort of bragging right for the two who actually graduated from there.

That's how we generally phrase things around here. People just say IU normally, maybe IU Bloomington for distinction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana