Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 05:46 AM

8 posts, read 12,857 times

Advertisements

Hello all, my wife and I (both in late 40’s) are potentially looking to move to the area. Work would be in Paris, wife travels for work about every 3-4 weeks via plane.

At first blush, it would seem to make sense to live in Terre Haute and travel to Paris. Reasons we have out of the box are (1) taxes likely better in Indiana, (2) bigger town so more amenities, (3) closer to the airport in Indy. Am hoping to hear input from folks that live there, since we are likely overlooking some obvious stuff (at least obvious to people living in the area currently). Thanks in advance for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 05:54 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Terre Haute is not as bad as you will likely hear. You didn't specify which amenities you are looking four outside of the airport in Indianapolis, but there are amenities in Terre Haute. There is a Meijer, Starbucks, Java Haute, Children's Museum, and two universities.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:55 PM

Thank you for your reply Toxic. Amenities aren’t really a focus as much as overall costs of living, friendliness, etc...... overall “vibe” I guess. My wife and I are both from small-town Midwest (she from town of around 10k population and me from town of 2K; currently in Tampa, FL and have learned we hate big city, and miss the change of seasons and (most importantly) the people and values of the Midwest. As we start looking into a possible move, we are just hoping to get as much insight as possible from those in the know

Old 10-23-2018, 08:06 AM

148 posts, read 459,329 times
I don't know Paris well, but Terre Haute is a nice small city. I grew up there and have family there. There is really no traffic, most neighborhoods are very safe and affordable, and public services are generally good. The four colleges/universities in the city/county also bring in a lot of young people, events and activities. I think even from Paris, ILL, Indianapolis would be the closest major airport, although there are some flights from the Champaign-Urbana airport.

There are also a lot of nice rural areas around Terre Haute - for easy access to Paris and the Indy airport, you might look in rural West Terre Haute, or the area northeast of Terre Haute - around Rose-Hulman. Those areas are nicely hilly, with good access to shopping areas and I-70.

Good luck with your move.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:07 PM

initial thoughts are that living on the Indiana side would be better taxes-wise, however that may be offset by lower day to day cost of living closer to Paris on the Illinois side. If it’s all a wash, then I guess it just opens up a lot more options.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:33 PM

11 posts, read 12,899 times
Always like TH - Rose Hulman is where I went to school and wife went to State.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,044 times
Always like TH - Rose Hulman is where I went to school and wife went to State.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:10 AM

28 posts, read 29,485 times
If you buy a home in Illinois prepare to endure declining home values, soaring taxes and crappy services.
The smart choice is buy in or near Terre Haute on the Indiana side.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:14 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
I have family in Terre Haute, look there! Illinois is a fiscal mess and won't get any better! You'd be taxed on everything! Indiana has better COL all together! Bette schools and a fiscally sound state!

Old 12-23-2018, 06:47 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Terre Haute if you are concerned about taxes. That's no slight against the communities in western IL. I've found many to be nice to visit and I'm sure their fine places to live, just dragged down by the government in Springfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana