Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 08:29 PM

26,478 posts, read 46,800,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
IMO, if anything, Carmel/Fishers are very affordable given their income levels. Few places in the country are that affluent with home prices that low.
Supply and demand, that area has always annexes like crazy, doesn't have much land in parks/conservation, and no terrain to interrupt the extreme sprawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 03:19 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,093,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
Spring, summer and Fall are great times to visit Ft. Wayne...it's beautiful here then

One of my younger relatives has been playing club basketball up in Ft. Wayne a few times in the recent past. I've went twice as it really isn't a horrible drive. I'm hoping she has some more games when the weather breaks as I'd like to get to the downtown area and checkout the River Greenway. From the little I've seen of the city, it almost reminds me of any random side of town in Indy.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:45 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,093,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
IMO, if anything, Carmel/Fishers are very affordable given their income levels. Few places in the country are that affluent with home prices that low.
There are a lot of people in Fishers and Carmel that are likely paying on mortgages (and likely second mortgages) because while the income is high, it ain't all that high. Median household income is only like around $110K. I'd like to see a true breakdown of household income by percentage of households that make x-y, y-z, etc., but I'm not sure where to find it.

I think the biggest issue for me is how one defines "affordable" and "very affordable." For some, being able to fully pay on a 30 year mortgage means the home is affordable. A $250K, 30 year, 4.5% mortgage is going to cost another $200K+ in interest alone. That is a huge debt load even if the median household income is just over $100K given that many of these people are also starting families. I know the sales pitch from the banking and real estate companies is something like you can buy a home 2.5-4x your income. To me I'd say no more than 2x pre-tax income, but again I'm very debt adverse.

I'm sure for people from other areas of the country, a newer home or solid older home with some updates costing $350K-$450K is a steal given where they are coming from.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:45 PM

307 posts, read 259,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
One of my younger relatives has been playing club basketball up in Ft. Wayne a few times in the recent past. I've went twice as it really isn't a horrible drive. I'm hoping she has some more games when the weather breaks as I'd like to get to the downtown area and checkout the River Greenway. From the little I've seen of the city, it almost reminds me of any random side of town in Indy.

Yeah I can see that...I enjoy going down to Indy b/c it has a familiar feel to it...just bigger lol!

Old 03-19-2019, 03:53 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,165,192 times
Quote:
To me I'd say no more than 2x pre-tax income, but again I'm very debt adverse.
Like you, I'm cautious about debt. But, there are different types of debt. A home mortgage, especially at historically low interest rates like today, is hardly the same thing as other types of debt such as credit card debt, student loan debt (especially when the career path you're hoping/aiming for will never allow you to comfortably pay it off), auto loans, and other non-essential debt. Plus, if you're not making a house payment, you're more than likely paying rent...and you need to live somewhere!

If carrying a mortgage allows you to live in a location that has other things that are important to you (e.g., your job location and good schools for your kids), even better.

Your mortgage interest and property taxes are (at least somewhat) deductible against your income for tax purposes.

Finally, if you're fortunate enough to live in an area where real estate values tend to go up over time, you also have the potential to make a profit on your home sale years later...especially if you've maintained or improved the property. That is a bit of a gamble, but if making a profit on the future sale isn't your #1 goal and you can afford it (meaning you make that mortgage payment plus taxes, HOA fees and insurance, month-in/month-out, on time, without it burdening your household budget AND you can still put money into savings/retirement every month), you're probably ahead of the curve.

Whatever makes you sleep well at night, though, is what I always say!

Old 03-21-2019, 06:52 AM

35,216 posts, read 31,549,991 times
Quote:
There are a lot of people in Fishers and Carmel that are likely paying on mortgages (and likely second mortgages) because while the income is high, it ain't all that high. Median household income is only like around $110K. I'd like to see a true breakdown of household income by percentage of households that make x-y, y-z, etc., but I'm not sure where to find it.

I think the biggest issue for me is how one defines "affordable" and "very affordable." For some, being able to fully pay on a 30 year mortgage means the home is affordable. A $250K, 30 year, 4.5% mortgage is going to cost another $200K+ in interest alone. That is a huge debt load even if the median household income is just over $100K given that many of these people are also starting families. I know the sales pitch from the banking and real estate companies is something like you can buy a home 2.5-4x your income. To me I'd say no more than 2x pre-tax income, but again I'm very debt adverse.

I'm sure for people from other areas of the country, a newer home or solid older home with some updates costing $350K-$450K is a steal given where they are coming from.
$110k median HHI is a lot. As HHI goes up, people can spend more on housing because likely won't be spending as much proportionally on things like food or healthcare as a lower income person would. They can stretch that ratio a bit farther.

You're assuming they don't make any more than minimum payments. Someone with a lot of income can probably extra on the mortgage principal from time to time.

Yes, if you can make the same amount in Fort Wayne that you can in Fishers, your salary will stretch farther in Fort Wayne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana