Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 07:49 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oihamad View Post
Compared to other Midwestern states, Indiana was settled to a greater extent in the 19th by settlers from the Upper South (Kentucky and Tennessee) and less by New Yorkers and New Englanders as was the case with Michigan and Wisconsin. The state is arguably the least "ethnic" state in the Midwest although Southwestern Missouri and Southeastern Kansas are similar in that regard. With the exception of industrial centers such as Gary and South Bend, Indiana received less immigration and was far more Anglo-American Protestant and had the lowest percentage of persons born abroad or with foreign-born parents (although Germans were prominent around Fort Wayne and Evansville). Due to these differences, does the culture of Indiana differ in substantial or noticeable ways from the other Midwestern States. How present are Southern Influences in Hoosier Culture? I attended a Quaker College in NC and the head of Quaker Studies there is from a small town near Kokomo, Indiana and his speech and effect could in no way be described as Southern and bears more similarities to Pennsylvania-dialect (possibly owing to Quaker roots). Are Southern or Pennsylvania-based influences more prominent in Indiana's dialect and culture?

Omar
I am far from an expert on Indiana, or on the Midwest, but since I've been living in OH for almost six years, I have become interested in the Midwest. I've also traveled frequently to both Indiana and Illinois fairly frequently, since my husband travels on business to both states - and to Kentucky and W. Virginia.

Indiana is a bit of a Midwestern outlier. Bordered by Illinois to the west and Ohio to the east, it does stand out in a number of ways.

As my status says, I do live in "the New England part of Ohio". Yes. It's sort of a joke, but owing to the original European settlers Connecticut heritage, the area is steeped in remnants of New England. Architecturally, culturally, and religiously, anyone who has ever spent time in New England will notice a similarity.

The Midwest is far better known for it's ethnic mix of Eastern Europeans, Germans, Italians, Greeks, Irish, Swedish, Norwegian and Slovak people.

They are very present in Ohio. And in Illinois. There are many Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Jewish, and Eastern Orthodox Churches in both OH and Illinois.

Not so much in Indiana.

Indiana seems more like Kentucky than it does Illinois. Actually, it seems more like the south than anyplace in the Midwest.

Politics lean very conservative, and Evangelical Christian churches, including "Megachurches" abound. Before the Megachurches, there were several kinds of Baptist churches in many Indiana towns, Churches of Christ, and Pentecostal churches also abound.

Aside prom state colleges, most colleges in Indy are religiously affiliated. Even progressive Earlham is affiliated with the Quaker Church.

Notre Dame is a notably traditionalist Catholic college and Valparaiso University is more conservative than coastal Lutheran colleges.

The largest private college in Indy is Indiana Wesleyan University, which is not a United Methodist school, it's affiliated with the Wesleyan Church.

I would agree that migration patterns from Southern states rather than from the east coast or Europe are the reason why Indiana feels very different from the states to it's east and west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 07:56 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am far from an expert on Indiana, or on the Midwest, but since I've been living in OH for almost six years, I have become interested in the Midwest. I've also traveled frequently to both Indiana and Illinois fairly frequently, since my husband travels on business to both states - and to Kentucky and W. Virginia.

Indiana is a bit of a Midwestern outlier. Bordered by Illinois to the west and Ohio to the east, it does stand out in a number of ways.

As my status says, I do live in "the New England part of Ohio". Yes. It's sort of a joke, but owing to the original European settlers Connecticut heritage, the area is steeped in remnants of New England. Architecturally, culturally, and religiously, anyone who has ever spent time in New England will notice a similarity.

The Midwest is far better known for it's ethnic mix of Eastern Europeans, Germans, Italians, Greeks, Irish, Swedish, Norwegian and Slovak people.

They are very present in Ohio. And in Illinois. There are many Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Jewish, and Eastern Orthodox Churches in both OH and Illinois.

Not so much in Indiana.

Indiana seems more like Kentucky than it does Illinois. Actually, it seems more like the south than anyplace in the Midwest.

Politics lean very conservative, and Evangelical Christian churches, including "Megachurches" abound. Before the Megachurches, there were several kinds of Baptist churches in many Indiana towns, Churches of Christ, and Pentecostal churches also abound.

Aside prom state colleges, most colleges in Indy are religiously affiliated. Even progressive Earlham is affiliated with the Quaker Church.

Notre Dame is a notably traditionalist Catholic college and Valparaiso University is more conservative than coastal Lutheran colleges.

The largest private college in Indy is Indiana Wesleyan University, which is not a United Methodist school, it's affiliated with the Wesleyan Church.

I would agree that migration patterns from Southern states rather than from the east coast or Europe are the reason why Indiana feels very different from the states to it's east and west.
I'm reading this, wondering if you've ever been to Indiana. For starters, IWU is in Marion not Indy. There are megachurches in every state bordering Indiana. Religiously affiliated private schools are common in many states, even Ohio. Dayton? Xavier? Ohio Northern? Ohio Wesleyan? There are Catholics and Lutheran churches here too. There is a Jewish Center in Indianapolis.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 08-27-2018 at 08:11 PM..

Old 08-29-2018, 11:33 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I'm reading this, wondering if you've ever been to Indiana. For starters, IWU is in Marion not Indy. There are megachurches in every state bordering Indiana. Religiously affiliated private schools are common in many states, even Ohio. Dayton? Xavier? Ohio Northern? Ohio Wesleyan? There are Catholics and Lutheran churches here too. There is a Jewish Center in Indianapolis.
I think a lot of folks don't get that religious does not necessarily equal Southern.

I lived in Carmel. Religion there was much more mainstream and easy-going than in my hometown in Tennessee. I never got the Bible Belt vibe that I do here in Tennessee. My girlfriend at the time lived in Anderson, and it is much more blue collar with a lot of residents one or two generations removed from native Southerners who migrated there for auto jobs.

About the only Southern thing you see in Anderson is the fact that it's somewhat country, small town, and they have a Waffle House. I never got the full on Pentecostal thing there that's common here.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:50 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
This article from Indy Star says Indiana is a Southern State.

IndyStar: Why study calls Indiana a 'Southern state'

https://indy.st/2LGiQYJ

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 08-31-2018 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: Fixed link

Old 08-31-2018, 09:59 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,968,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
This article from Indy Star says Indiana is a Southern State.

IndyStar: Why study calls Indiana a 'Southern state'

https://indy.st/2LGiQYJ
Looks like an opinion piece to me. Someone who disagrees with Illinois policy could just as easily write a slanderous piece on the Exodus of people moving out of Illinois, Michigan, or stagnant growth in Ohio. I'm fairly certain that Indiana is the fastest growing Midwestern state

Old 08-31-2018, 10:10 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Looks like an opinion piece to me. Someone who disagrees with Illinois policy could just as easily write a slanderous piece on the Exodus of people moving out of Illinois, Michigan, or stagnant growth in Ohio. I'm fairly certain that Indiana is the fastest growing Midwestern state
North Dakota is the fastest growing state in percentage terms in the Midwest at +12.3% since 2010, although much of the growth in percentage terms is in the West River energy patch area that is solidly in the western US. South Dakota is the 2nd fastest growing at 6.8%. Minnesota and Nebraska come tied at 3rd at 5.1%. Indiana is at 2.8% for the same time period.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:15 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It is related to a study conducted by Indiana Institute for Working Families that says Indiana resembles a southern state in terms of wages and economic policy. It is not surprising that they would use language describing Indiana as "southern," as right-to-work is associated with southern states and IIWF is very anti-right to work.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:55 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
It is related to a study conducted by Indiana Institute for Working Families that says Indiana resembles a southern state in terms of wages and economic policy. It is not surprising that they would use language describing Indiana as "southern," as right-to-work is associated with southern states and IIWF is very anti-right to work.
Indiana has higher union membership percentage numbers than Missouri, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota and North Dakota. Right to work or not, we're certainly not the worst in the Midwest. Could be better, though.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:14 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,739,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oihamad View Post
False how so? Statistics from the censuses of 1890-1930 bear out that Indiana had a higher proportion
of Native born Whites of Native Parentage than any other Midwestern State and thus a higher proportion of those with colonial stock than any other Midwestern State. When I return home I will provide links with this data. This also bears out in Religious Denomination membership with fewer Catholics and Lutherans proportionally and more Methodists, Baptists, and Pentecostals. I pointed out certain cities as exceptions to this but using as an operational definition of ethnic those of foreign birth or parentage, then yes, Indiana was less ethnic in 1910-1920 than most of the remainder of the Midwest.
You must have omitted NW Indiana because the Catholic population there is approx. 44%. And, there are a lot of Lutheran churches.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:30 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I think a lot of folks don't get that religious does not necessarily equal Southern.

I lived in Carmel. Religion there was much more mainstream and easy-going than in my hometown in Tennessee. I never got the Bible Belt vibe that I do here in Tennessee. My girlfriend at the time lived in Anderson, and it is much more blue collar with a lot of residents one or two generations removed from native Southerners who migrated there for auto jobs.

About the only Southern thing you see in Anderson is the fact that it's somewhat country, small town, and they have a Waffle House. I never got the full on Pentecostal thing there that's common here.
Depends on the religion. Some denominations are more "Southern" than others. Religion itself obviously not "Southern". A certain type of religion is.

There is a large Baptist and Pentecostal presence in Indiana. There are also more people with southern roots, in Indiana than in the rest of the rest of the Midwest.

One state over in OH my current state was settled by Connecticut Yankees. That influence can still be felt over 200 years later.

Neither is either good or bad. Right or wrong. They are just different.

Most of Indiana is very different from the rest of the Midwest. In food, culture, folkways, and religion. It is also a notably conservative state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana