Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 11:47 PM

18 posts, read 15,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I wouldn't recommend any areas near the Ohio River, bad air quality and horrific levels of pollen and mold. Let's see, 120 inches of rainfall over the past two years alone- we are headed up to 60 inches of rain this year as well. I've just about had it with the weather here, I would rate it an F-, and I've lived in places that have seen 100 inches of snowfall a year. I prefer the snow any day of the week, I'll be moving next year or sooner hopefully, plenty of positions in my career field in the Twin Cities region, an area I prefer if I have to stay in the Midwest.
Plus in the Twin Cities with their brutal winters you can enjoy frostbite too.
Having extra rain or losing my toes. Decisions.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 04:12 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
"I wouldn't recommend any areas near the Ohio River"....The Ohio River Valley Crud as it's called, follows the river valley....once you get up into the Knobs, you are into much cleaner air. I was about 40 air miles from the river, our air quality was much better than the Louisville metro area.

For real time, worldwide, air quality stats....go here....or here, for state information.

If the OP is looking for lake life in Indiana, IMO, there is no better place to investigate than the Patoka Lake area.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-26-2018, 08:45 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momsfavoriteson2 View Post
Plus in the Twin Cities with their brutal winters you can enjoy frostbite too.
Having extra rain or losing my toes. Decisions.....
Frostbite, no, it’s called proper clothing and gear. I lived in the Madison area of Wisconsin before and climate is decent there for those that hate heat and humidity. Also, I would prefer sunnier skies and snow over pitch dark grey skies along with rain/mud common in winter in the Ohio Valley.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:36 PM

18 posts, read 15,468 times
Quote:
Frostbite, no, it’s called proper clothing and gear. I lived in the Madison area of Wisconsin before and climate is decent there for those that hate heat and humidity. Also, I would prefer sunnier skies and snow over pitch dark grey skies along with rain/mud common in winter in the Ohio Valley.
The Twin cities are colder than Madison. Suit yourself then.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:45 PM

19 posts, read 20,203 times
Thanks everyone. Few comments:
Patoka Lake & Floyds Knob are farther south than I prefer. I want to be that far away from Westfield.

@Takehanase - I'll send you a private message.

Thanks all

Old 11-03-2018, 10:07 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
A few things....why are you talking about MN when someone is asking about the area south of Indy?

The Ohio River Valley is BEAUTIFUL. It happens to be that it's an ALL TIME record wet year. Despite what these haters are saying, it'd not gray, rainy, and muggy every day. It's just been an unusually wet few years, and it's bound to change back to average.

I very much agree with the people who say that the OP would do well near Lake Patoka. This is in the greater Louisville area which is a great city.

Floyd's Knobs, IN would be my pick. Very fresh air, great views, beautiful rolling hills, and 30 mins to Lake Patoka, IMO the best hidden gem lake in the entire state of IN. It also has much warmer temps than the rest of the state which means milder winters (lots more 50s compared to 30s way up north).

Old 11-04-2018, 11:17 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
A few things....why are you talking about MN when someone is asking about the area south of Indy?

The Ohio River Valley is BEAUTIFUL. It happens to be that it's an ALL TIME record wet year. Despite what these haters are saying, it'd not gray, rainy, and muggy every day. It's just been an unusually wet few years, and it's bound to change back to average.

I very much agree with the people who say that the OP would do well near Lake Patoka. This is in the greater Louisville area which is a great city.

Floyd's Knobs, IN would be my pick. Very fresh air, great views, beautiful rolling hills, and 30 mins to Lake Patoka, IMO the best hidden gem lake in the entire state of IN. It also has much warmer temps than the rest of the state which means milder winters (lots more 50s compared to 30s way up north).
Really, the trend over time is for much greater amounts of precipitation in the Ohio Valley. There has already been 60'' of precipitation and there are two months left to go, so much more precipitation is likely. Gray, rainy, and muddy are indeed the norm here much of the time. Patoka averages are cooler than Louisville, a bit milder than Bloomington, but generally very sloppy winters at best.
Franklin would be the location that is closest to scenic areas of the Hoosier National Forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana