Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 07:01 PM

54 posts, read 119,755 times

Advertisements

Hi
I just moved to Kansas and have been wondering how the people here might be alike or different from people in Indiana. We drove through southern Indiana on our way to Kansas, which was pretty rural, so we didn’t see much of Indiana. Indiana has been an intriguing state and one that I considered moving to. I am wondering if I got some of the qualities of Indiana by moving to Kansas, i.e friendly people. I realize the two states are not geographically close but they are both in the Midwest. I have wondered what Indiana is like compared to Kansas. Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 08:39 PM

93 posts, read 126,959 times
Wow. This is really an open-ended question. How about an open-ended answer?

The first thing that comes to mind is
John Mellencamp and Dorothy Gale...

I would imagine that on any given day,
one could see it "Rain On The Scarecrow" while searching for "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" in either of those places...

Then, you've got "Mary Jane's Last Dance" and
"Dust In The Wind", so, there's a lot of different ways to go here...

Old 11-24-2017, 07:44 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
I've never been to Kansas, nor have I met every person in Indiana despite having lived in two distinctly different parts of the state. I've lived in three different states, and I don't think on a broad scale the people are really that much different. The differences are not by state, but by location. People in Indianapolis, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Detroit don't have a lot in common with people from South Bend, Terre Haute, Traverse City, or Bowling Green. The urban/rural divide is as prevalent in Indiana as it is in any other state.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:08 PM

6 posts, read 7,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cblueberry1 View Post
Hi
I just moved to Kansas and have been wondering how the people here might be alike or different from people in Indiana. We drove through southern Indiana on our way to Kansas, which was pretty rural, so we didn’t see much of Indiana. Indiana has been an intriguing state and one that I considered moving to. I am wondering if I got some of the qualities of Indiana by moving to Kansas, i.e friendly people. I realize the two states are not geographically close but they are both in the Midwest. I have wondered what Indiana is like compared to Kansas. Thanks much.
They both are similar culturally although Indiana is less conservative.
Geography though Indiana wins by a mile. Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. Short 3-4 hour drive to the Appalachian Mountains. Easy access to several big cities and more jobs/opportunity.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:28 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
There are different areas of Indiana.

Indianapolis is pretty different from the more rural areas. Northern Indiana is different from the Kentuckiana area where it borders Kentucky.

I would say that overall people in Indiana are generally more open to "outsiders" and have that Midwestern friendliness. They will be curious if they notice an out of the area accent and will ask where you are from but won't make a big deal over it. I would say that from my experience Indiana is not a liberal state but they don't impose their views.

Kansas has a more conservative feel to it and almost feels a bit Southern as well as Midwestern.

In both states the cities have a different feel than the rural areas--the same as any other state I've been to or lived in.

Both states have attractions and cities worth visiting

Old 11-27-2017, 02:35 PM

27 posts, read 42,540 times
Surprise Surprise.

Both states have a similar (and well above average) percentage of the population that have lost most or all their natural teeth due to decay.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:32 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLPIFCO View Post
Surprise Surprise.

Both states have a similar (and well above average) percentage of the population that have lost most or all their natural teeth due to decay.
That mighta use to been true but I don't think It's so much that way anymore. Ever since they started putting fluoride in the drinking water, people started having fewer cavities and they keep their teeth longer. Use to be, almost everybody would lose their teeth in their 40's and 50's. All 4 of my grandparents had false teeth when they were in their 40's. They were born between 1898 and 1909. Both grandmas said they used twigs from a tree to brush their teeth.

Anymore, very few people have to wear dentures before the age of 70. Im 63. I never went to a dentist until I was in my late 20's or early 30's. I go very rarely now, although I do go every now and then. I have all my teeth except for my wisdom teeth. I know a few people around my age who have partials, but I don't know anybody around my age who has a full set of dentures. I know very few people in their 70's who have a full set of dentures. My mom is 84 and she lost all her teeth when she was 38, due to piarhea. In 1971, 38 was an unusually young age for a person to lose their teeth. I never knew anybody younger than 38 to lose their teeth. My dad is 85. He has most of his teeth. I attribute that to years and years of fluoride in the faucet water rather than toothpaste or going to a dentist regularly. Although going to the dentist regularly is a good idea, it seems it's because of the fluoride that so many people's teeth are lasting nearly a lifetime, regardless of whether or not they go to a dentist regularly.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:17 PM

35,061 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I know quite a few people from southern IN. Past Columbus, and especially past Seymour or so, you start seeing a lot more orientation toward the South and Southern heritage. I don't think you will see this in Kansas at all.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:45 PM

93 posts, read 126,959 times
I spent five years in Oklahoma City a long time ago. OU played all of the Texas teams and Okie State, Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska, Missouri, and Iowa State.

Oklahoma had a kinship with Texas, and Kansas seemed to be pulled that way to some degree as well.

I would say that Kansas is more like Texas than Indiana, but that Kansas City, KS is more like Indianapolis than Dallas.

Kansas is a cross between Indiana and Texas, just like its geographic location would lead you to believe.

And, Texas doesn't seem Southern to me, it seems, well, Texas.
And, Northern Indiana feels Midwest to me, but I've never been to Southern Indiana, except to pass thru French Lick, etc, and that still felt Midwesternish.

Last edited by SunnyJoe; 11-30-2017 at 10:00 PM..

Old 12-01-2017, 06:45 PM

148 posts, read 459,378 times
I'd say a few similarities, and a few differences.

Indiana and Kansas are often thought of (or think of themselves as) Middle America, Heartland, a little rural/traditional in a modern urban world.

Basketball is, or was when I was younger, the most popular sport in both states. Indiana and Kansas teams were both very strong in basketball, with pretty clean cut traditional play.

Kansas' large state universities are both in smaller cities, like Indiana: Lawrence = Bloomington; Manhattan = West Lafayette (?)

Both border metropolitan areas that are larger than anything in their state (Chicago, Kansas City)

There is single, but blurred geographic divided in the state: IN is north/south, KS is east/west

Both states have strong early influence from the South, but over time greater population growth occurred in urban areas and reduced that influence statewide

Strong history of Republican politics, going back to the Civil War; large external corporations (Chicago, Kansas City, etc), dominated the local economy except for a few primary industries.

No large, global metropolitan area with substantial international flights.

Topography is often tagged as "boring" "flat", but I think both have a reputation for being "green" - meaning lush and verdant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana