Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:47 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by regionrat1 View Post
I know never heard it being a vacuum cleaner till I was in school. Even then all the teachers still called it a sweeper. I laughed over my stereotypes in California when my Ex-Wife's family got up set when I said sweeper or pop they kept correcting me and I LMAO so hard I almost peed my pants because thier family believed the only place you should live is California and the only way you should talk is California style as my Ex called it. They told me that "all Indiana people need to go to California to get speech lessons to talk normal" they said. She also said what was wrong is "how your family raised you to say these horrible things was just not right". I thought wow they really had nothing better to do but insult the way I talk.
Well, like, oh ma gawd!! You know, it's like, you, like Indiana people are just like soooooo stupid sounding, like, you, like need, to like, speak like us, like Californians, like, gee, we just, like, sound sooo much, like, better than you ...

Ok, I'm being a snarky twit, but that's such a funny story! When I think of people who speak well, I think of people like Helena Bonham Carter and Kate Winslet. On the American side, Kathleen Turner has the most amazing elocution in interviews. If your ex-Cali relatives thought we spoke poorly, what on earth would they think of someone from the deep south? But, I've encountered this attitude from multi-generational Californians. I once knew a 3rd generation Californian who had to <gasp> move to Bloomington and she actually flew back to LA every 6 weeks to get her hair done! Needless to say, their stay in Bloomington lasted about 5 years and they headed back west. When I was in college our school newspaper referred to those kind of people as California Salad Heads. I use that term to this day ...

On another note, I was going through our local "Happy Valentines" section of our newspaper and started counting the "ma-maw" & "pa-paws" and I stopped at 25 and I had 3 more pages to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 09:55 PM

34 posts, read 178,269 times
well why do you call them a california salad?

Old 02-15-2008, 06:15 AM

Re-read my post, it's California Salad Head ... kind of shredded lettuce with a little of this and a little of than, more style than actual substance.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:00 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,203,287 times
Gee whiz I am a Hoosier and half this stuff I have never heard of. Maybe I need to pay more attention when I am out and about.

Never heard anybody call "on and off ramps" on interstates "round abouts"! Never heard anybody use the term "Tree lawn" either nor has any person I have asked if they have that are born and raised in IN.

Now I will admit some people use the word "warsh" instead of wash but I always ask them "how do you spell that?" Here is another word that bugs me when folks use "fer" instead of "for". My niece that was raised here moved to PA at a college age and lives there now. Now she uses soda, sneakers etc..

Pass the fried bologna please.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:09 PM
SJU

131 posts, read 723,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post

Now I will admit some people use the word "warsh" instead of wash but I always ask them "how do you spell that?"
The only person I know who says "warsh" is my mom, but she grew up in northeastern Ohio.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:13 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,072,783 times
sorry if i was a little short tempered while writing my last post

Old 02-19-2008, 11:10 PM

18 posts, read 82,244 times
I live in S. Indiana, and I admit that we do have a bit of a southern accent. People say "ain't" all the time and "warsh" and my mom says "fruther" and every body either says "coke" or "soft drink" i have never heard anyone from here say pop, soda, or cola. and it is a grocery sack, because it IS a paper sack, a bag is something like a purse or gym bag. however, we are nothing compared to Kentucky. i mean if you cross the Ohio it's like going from Michigan to Alabama. i always like say that it's a wide river with few bridges, and my friend from Maine didn't know what a weed-eater was and we call lawn mowers a "mo-er"

i happen to like different accents and think that people that attack other accents are just *******s who are insecure about there own ability to talk

Old 02-29-2008, 01:19 PM

19 posts, read 100,262 times
Default Weird Sayings

Ok I am from Cali and moving to Peru/Kokomo area,my husband and I laugh at the way our friends out there say PEE-ru in stead of Pah-ru, or Chi Lie in instead of Chill-ee for the city Chili. But what I really want to know is where the heck did Get your food drunk on, come from???? I heard that alot the last time we visited and it drove me nuts!!!! Now people are way nicer in Indiana, I have been around the states for the military and more then once got crap for my "Cali Attitude,"and I am really nice and outgoing compared to mostout here! My husbnd and I always joke when looking for houses, saying we want a roll up garage door and then wondering if they have even heard of those! ( we know ya'll have! lol) But we grew up thinking Indiana was a backwards state, but let me tell you, after having visited we love it, the hair may be stuck in the 80's but the poeple are worth going backwards a decade or two!

Old 02-29-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhd7 View Post
Ok I am from Cali and moving to Peru/Kokomo area,my husband and I laugh at the way our friends out there say PEE-ru in stead of Pah-ru, or Chi Lie in instead of Chill-ee for the city Chili. But what I really want to know is where the heck did Get your food drunk on, come from???? I heard that alot the last time we visited and it drove me nuts!!!! Now people are way nicer in Indiana, I have been around the states for the military and more then once got crap for my "Cali Attitude,"and I am really nice and outgoing compared to mostout here! My husbnd and I always joke when looking for houses, saying we want a roll up garage door and then wondering if they have even heard of those! ( we know ya'll have! lol) But we grew up thinking Indiana was a backwards state, but let me tell you, after having visited we love it, the hair may be stuck in the 80's but the poeple are worth going backwards a decade or two!

Get your food wah?? Huh??? Never heard of it.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:08 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,203,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhd7 View Post
Around my parts it is only older folks that say those town's names like that. But we live outside those areas so they might pronounce it like you said. I have never heard "Get your food drunk on" though. If you find out what it means let us Hoosiers know OK? Welcome to Indiana!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana