Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 06:17 AM

8,985 posts, read 17,313,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Come on Toxic...Louisville's S Indiana suburbs are the SAME size as Evansville,

Comparing Clark and Warrick county IN? No comparison. Clark has twice the population, twice the shopping, three times the retail, and probably 10 times the restaurants. As Census noted, the growth is substantial.
Warrick and Clark are neither one the primary driver of growth in their given area. They both are secondary to their given primary county, Vanderburgh and Jefferson respectively. Warrick and Clark, as the stats show, are growing at a similar clip. I know taking any opportunity to talk down to us non-Louisville folks is something you jump at, but what you are saying is beside any relevant point. Yes we get it, by being adjacent to Louisville, Clark County is super mega important and Jeffersonville is best city ever, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 07:00 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,499,887 times
I agree that areas like NWI, Floyd/ Clark Co near Louisville, and Dearborn Co near Cincinnati are different than Evansville, which is the core area of its metro. In Kentucky it's like comparing Lexington to Cincinnati's southern suburbs, which have the same population and growth rate but mostly due to people moving from Ohio while still working there.

I would add that much of Clark Co's growth from 1940 to 1970 was due to the huge Army Ammunitions plant that at one time had 40k workers. It shuttered in 1992, the up to 50k new jobs at River Ridge are at that same location. With those new jobs Clark Co will become a job center rather than just a commuter county for Louisville.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:23 AM

26,432 posts, read 46,643,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I agree that areas like NWI, Floyd/ Clark Co near Louisville, and Dearborn Co near Cincinnati are different than Evansville, which is the core area of its metro. In Kentucky it's like comparing Lexington to Cincinnati's southern suburbs, which have the same population and growth rate but mostly due to people moving from Ohio while still working there.

I would add that much of Clark Co's growth from 1940 to 1970 was due to the huge Army Ammunitions plant that at one time had 40k workers. It shuttered in 1992, the up to 50k new jobs at River Ridge are at that same location. With those new jobs Clark Co will become a job center rather than just a commuter county for Louisville.
How are the infrastructure concerns being addressed within both Jeffersonville and Clarksville city limits to handle all the additional vehicle traffic that will be growing at a fast rate due to job growth? Many roads in Jeffersonville are barely adequate presently to handle traffic volumes. There will have to be further investment from the state level and county level to keep up with infrastructure improvements adjacent to the East End Bridge. The 10th street corridor comes to mind and some roads that branch off from there.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:58 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,876,944 times
Default 50k jobs is a lot

I am not a big fan of Louisville but 50k new jobs is a lot and will drive a lot of new development, especially on the Indiana side.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:29 AM

35,105 posts, read 31,373,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
How are the infrastructure concerns being addressed within both Jeffersonville and Clarksville city limits to handle all the additional vehicle traffic that will be growing at a fast rate due to job growth? Many roads in Jeffersonville are barely adequate presently to handle traffic volumes. There will have to be further investment from the state level and county level to keep up with infrastructure improvements adjacent to the East End Bridge. The 10th street corridor comes to mind and some roads that branch off from there.
Every time I've gone down 65 to Louisville, it has been an absolute nightmare. I couldn't imagine having to drive across that every day.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:48 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,499,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Every time I've gone down 65 to Louisville, it has been an absolute nightmare. I couldn't imagine having to drive across that every day.

DOT is massively widening I-65 near the Ohio River and the 2nd I-65 bridge is already complete. They are finishing reconstruction the downtown interchange which should eliminate rush hour backups. A 2nd bridge completing a semi beltline for I-265 is nearly done. All construction will be done this fall.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:39 PM

797 posts, read 2,340,242 times
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The notion that this new bridge is going to "eliminate rush hour backups" is completely ridiculous and has no basis in reality

Old 02-15-2016, 11:48 AM

51 posts, read 88,314 times
Southern IN seems to be the place I have chosen to settle. I have spent my share of time in Evansville, but I am kind of interested in Jeffersonville too. My uncle and aunt live in Jeff and they love it there. I have visited a couple times, but the traffic in that area seems about 100X scarier/wilder than that in Evansville. Anywhere I move, I figure I am going to be locked into a year's lease.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:46 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,239,321 times
I've been in Southern Indiana on business, for two weeks. People are very, very friendly. Food is inexpensive. But there really isn't much in Charlestown, with the exception of churches (mostly Baptist) Dollar Stores and fast food.
Nearby New Albany is a nicer town, with more amenities. Same with Jeffersonville.

Mostly everything anyone could want is in nearby Louisville. The traffic from here to there is pretty intense.

Charlestown does not seem to be a suburb of Louisville. There is a lot of flat land, an Amazon wearhouse, but I haven't really seen farms. So, I wonder where people work. It also seems a lot more southern than I'd expected. In food, dialect and religiousness.

Nice climate this time of year, but the allergy factor is driving my wife crazy.

Was Charlestown settled by people from the Appalachians or the Ozarks? I'm curious.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:14 AM

51 posts, read 88,314 times
It is cool in Jeffersonville yes, my uncle lives very close to the Amazon warehouse.

I actually ended up in Evansville myself, well in early April I will be moving in. Got the deposit down, lease is signed and just waiting for it to be cleaned up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana