Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 12:11 AM

3 posts, read 69,161 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I have lived in Noblesville for 23 years and there has been a waterpark that has been abandoned since I can ever remember. It is essentially on the north west corner of 31/Meridian and 196th street. It is directly across the street from the old Verizon HQ (I think). I went a couple years back and walked the property and there was what appeared to have been a go cart track, old putt putt course, and then of course water slides and pools. Unfortunately the earth has taken the property over once again and you can't tell from the road that it even exists. The property has been listed for sale for as long as I can remember. I have uploaded google earth images along with some notes to explain as best I could of what you are looking at.
My question to everyone is, is there any information about this? I have searched all over the internet for any information and I haven't even found a bit of information that would say it even existed.. no name, mention in a post... nothing. Does anyone know anything about its history? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Abandoned Waterpark near Westfield-abandoned-waterpark-1.jpg   Abandoned Waterpark near Westfield-abandoned-waterpark2.jpg   Abandoned Waterpark near Westfield-abandoned-3.jpg   Abandoned Waterpark near Westfield-abandoned-4.jpg   Abandoned Waterpark near Westfield-abandoned-5.jpg  

Abandoned Waterpark near Westfield-abandoned-6.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 07:10 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,490,590 times
Default Found

This took about 0.3 seconds to find:

Thunder Island

Old 10-30-2013, 06:33 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,309 times
Yep. Went there once as a kid. I don't remember any go-kart tracks or putt putt but I might have been too young to worry about that anyway. I remember I think a couple of big slides and three more kid-friendly slides, I might remember a tube slide as well. As I said, I was much younger back in the 80s and only visited the place once so there are probably things that were there that I don't remember. I was little and too scared of the big slides so I just stayed with the smaller slides. For a long time those three smaller slides could still be seen from US 31 on the hillside they were built into with their vibrant colors but they've either been removed since then or nature reclaimed them.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:36 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
This took about 0.3 seconds to find:

Thunder Island
Well...................it is a little easier to run such a search when you know the name of the property, is it not?

Old 10-30-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Well...................it is a little easier to run such a search when you know the name of the property, is it not?
No kidding!

Old 10-30-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Yep. Went there once as a kid. I don't remember any go-kart tracks or putt putt but I might have been too young to worry about that anyway. I remember I think a couple of big slides and three more kid-friendly slides, I might remember a tube slide as well. As I said, I was much younger back in the 80s and only visited the place once so there are probably things that were there that I don't remember. I was little and too scared of the big slides so I just stayed with the smaller slides. For a long time those three smaller slides could still be seen from US 31 on the hillside they were built into with their vibrant colors but they've either been removed since then or nature reclaimed them.
After knowing the name of the park and doing a search. One poster posted this message about the park which offers clarity:

"I spent many summers at Thunder Island as a kid, along with my brother, and cousin. We LOVED it. My Aunt took us every chance she got. There were 3 large water slides that you used a rubber mat to slide down, I believe they were red, blue, and yellow. They each had names... I only remember jaws. Then there were 3 other tube like slides that emptied into the kiddie pool, which if I remember correctly, that was the L shaped pool. The pond looking pool, with the docks, was bumper boats. The massive rock slide was actually 2 slides side by side... you would ride an inner tube down those... there were little wading pools at the end of every curve where the life guards would stand... to give you a push in the right direction towards the end. They also had go carts... to which I was never tall enough to ride They had a game room, and a snack bar. They had delicious little treats called pizza puffs I believe. They also had a putt putt coarse. It's funny, I lived In Muncie IN my entire life, until recently my husband and I moved to Noblesville IN, which is actually about 15 minutes away from the remains of what once was the most wonderful place on earth (to a 9 year old). I had wondered what became of it, which lead me to drive by it's former glory... I could not see anything from the road, but knew it was hiding behind all of that vegetation. Had I not been alone, I would have loved to go in. Which is what lead me to come home, and start my research. I too was saddened that there are no pictures from it's "hay day". But that is how I came across your photos (which really creeped me out!) It is so weird seeing something not only abandoned, but something that you hold such fond memories of. It makes me wonder who owns the land, and why have they not done anything with it... Anywho... sorry to go on, and on... but I have been feeling a little nostalgic today, and was very excited to see that I am not the only one that wondered whatever happened to "Thunder Island". Thanks!!!"

Old 10-30-2013, 02:41 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,490,590 times
Default Well...................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiov526 View Post
No kidding!
I initially Googled "abandoned water park in Westfield Indiana"...I did not initially know the name of it. The Internet is a wonderful and vast tool that we rarely use to its full potential!

Old 10-30-2013, 06:57 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
drove by there many times and never knew it was there …

Old 09-05-2014, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 20,258 times
1985 aerial view of Thunder Island.

[URL=http://imgur.com/PCsLQhC]http://i.imgur.com/PCsLQhC.jpg[/URL]

Old 09-23-2014, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 7,436 times
Loved Thunder Island! I was pretty little (6-8ish), but we went often. As someone mentioned above there were three slides- red, yellow, and blue. You sat on a rubber mat to slide down them, and heaven help you if you fell off your mat, because those slides really hurt your butt! They all emptied out into one pool and there were little "ponds" on different parts of the slide with lifeguards there to help get you back on your mat. There were also slides that you went on with tubes and a little elephant slide in the kiddy area. I also remember the go carts, bumper boats, and putt putt but I never remember actual doing any of those. Seriously, one of my favorite early memories. We went there quite a bit with my cousins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana