Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,202 times

Advertisements

My family (wife and newish-born) and I are looking at the possibility of relocating to the South Bend area. We currently live in Washington DC and are a bit wary about the change in culture that will result. A couple of questions:

1. If we were to settle down there where should we look? Are there any areas that we could rent for the first year and be able to walk to get dinner if we didn't want to drive? From what I understand downtown SB is pretty so so in terms of safety. If so, ugh, it would seem to have a TON of potential.

2. Read a bit about Granger and Mishawaka... any feelings about either, either way?

3. What about cities/towns within a half hour drive? Are there any diamonds in the rough? Randomly searching cities within a maybe/remotely driving distance I landed on Benton Harbor Michigan (more than a half hour, I know... but really how long in practice?)... I am guessing that might be a bit of a drive. What about Michigan City, IN? All I have is google maps and street view and it all seems sort of ok.

Advice is very much needed. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 09:36 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,728,603 times
I'll PM you about specifics

Old 07-23-2013, 04:48 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,813,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
I'll PM you about specifics
why not share on the forum?

Old 07-23-2013, 05:21 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,568,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81scribner View Post
My family (wife and newish-born) and I are looking at the possibility of relocating to the South Bend area. We currently live in Washington DC and are a bit wary about the change in culture that will result. A couple of questions:

1. If we were to settle down there where should we look? Are there any areas that we could rent for the first year and be able to walk to get dinner if we didn't want to drive? From what I understand downtown SB is pretty so so in terms of safety. If so, ugh, it would seem to have a TON of potential.

2. Read a bit about Granger and Mishawaka... any feelings about either, either way?

3. What about cities/towns within a half hour drive? Are there any diamonds in the rough? Randomly searching cities within a maybe/remotely driving distance I landed on Benton Harbor Michigan (more than a half hour, I know... but really how long in practice?)... I am guessing that might be a bit of a drive. What about Michigan City, IN? All I have is google maps and street view and it all seems sort of ok.

Why are you considering South Bend?

I would not consider Michigan City and definitely not Bento Harbor (although perhaps St. Joseph, MI).

Old 07-23-2013, 12:35 PM

17,765 posts, read 39,813,177 times
St. Joe before Benton Harbor for sure!

My suggestion would be to look at Granger, especially since you have a baby and if you want good public schools, Granger is the way to go.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:00 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,980,958 times
I moved from South Bend to the DC area (NoVa) in 1996. I wouldn't live in Benton Harbor but St. Joe isn't bad. Michigan City isn't horrible but what about Laporte or Valporaiso or SouthBend.

What kind of things are you looking for and where would you job be located?

Old 07-28-2013, 01:53 PM

801 posts, read 2,572,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81scribner View Post

I think you would really like the Eddy Street Commons area near Notre Dame. It was constructed in 2009 and is a mixed-use development: apartments, stores, restaurants, pubs. If you're looking for walkable in South Bend, I would focus on that area - either in Eddy Street Commons itself, or on the residential blocks surrounding it, along Notre Dame Avenue, south of Angela Boulevard. My advice would be to contact a rental agency that serves Notre Dame students and faculty. There are many rentals because this is a university area, but the best ones will go fast. Also, because ND has a different nature than the state universities, even though you might be living around students and grad students, this is not a party zone. I think you'll find this area that I mentioned, especially the residential blocks, peaceful and pleasant.

There are also nice areas (but without much to walk to) along Twyckenham Blvd. and in the south side of South Bend in an area called Rum Village.

South Bend/Mishawaka has an excellent variety of ethnic and cultural food options, some upscale dining, plenty of festivals and downtown activities, and there is quite a bit of redevelopment in the works. Notre Dame and Memorial Health System are two strong employers in the area, and both give back to the community and offer events as well as opportunities to get involved.

Downtown South Bend is up-and-coming and is sketchy in some spots. There is a complex called Central High that is loft apartment housing (it is the former high school renovated into apartments.) It is lively and that is another area where young professionals look. Downtown is a place you can normally feel safe walking during the daytime but in some areas it is sketchy. Most of the violent crime in South Bend happens on the West Side, and that is some distance from downtown.

Granger is the highest priced, most suburban/exclusive area in the region. Mishawaka has an older urban section and a newer more suburban section. Neither will offer walkability. Being in the north part of Mishawaka puts you within a few minutes drive of what is probably the second largest shopping center in Indiana (which serves the entire region.) Every type of restaurant and shopping can be found there. It is well kept, upscale, safe, and convenient.

By chance you mentioned two cities that are rough - Benton Harbor and Michigan City.

Michigan City has some nicer areas (home prices will tell you if it is a better area or not) but Michigan City was an industrial city that lost its economic stability. Many parts of the city are rough.

There are also lakefront communities in Indiana - Beverly Shores, Long Beach, Michiana Shores - that tend to be exclusive but vary in price based on age and condition of the property. These would be west of South Bend and give you a 30-45 minute commute.

If you want to be out in Michigan, first be aware that you would be in the lake effect snow belt, which gets the highest snowfall totals in the Chicago metropolitan area. You better have a 4x4 SUV and like snow. There are plenty of nice communities - New Buffalo, St. Joseph, Bridgman, Stevensville - and you have the advantage in the summer of some awesome beaches - but you're looking at a 40 minute drive to South Bend which might be 60-80 minutes in snow.

Niles, MI is right over the border from South Bend and has more of a small-town city feel to it, but it isn't thought of highly by a lot of people.

Elkhart and Goshen were very reliant on industry which is now drying up.

Valparaiso is an hour from South Bend and would put you within a 55 minute drive of Chicago, which you would probably love. But the drive from Valpo to South Bend can be long and expensive, and Valpo is in the Central Time Zone.

I know a small number of people who live in Kalamazoo (60-70 minute drive), a very nice city that is home to Western Michigan University, and drive in to South Bend for work (although they work from home also, so they only make the drive a few times a week.)

If you want rural, there's plenty of options for small towns within 30 minutes of South Bend.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana