Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,790 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
My girlfriend and I will be moving to Indiana from Michigan in August for graduate studies. She'll be attending UIndy and I'll be at Maurer Law School in Bloomington. We're trying to find a good place to commute from in between and a good area for apartments or rental properties. We both have cars that we can drive so an intermediate point seems like the most logical origin.

We're pretty poor as you'd expect after undergrad, and graduate studies will further deepen the hole, so we really need to find rent around $400-$600 per month. The gas and car maintenance will be a pain too but there's not much we can do about that without decent public transportation between the two cities.

I've read quite a bit already and it looks like south Indy, around the Greenwood area, would be the best bet, but I was wondering if there are any other areas I should be looking at as well. We really don't care about night life or cool parts of town; we really just need a safe place with decent rent, Internet bandwidth, and a supermarket within 10 miles or so.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 02:39 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
I'd vote Greenwood as close to 465 and 37 as possible ...

Old 05-04-2011, 03:38 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I'd vote Greenwood as close to 465 and 37 as possible ...
I agree. I have a cousin that lives in Greenwood around County Line Rd and US-31 that commutes to Bloomington to teach. It takes her just about an hour assuming no traffic backups or awful weather. I suggest staying as close to 37 as possible to save a few minutes of driving through Greenwood for you. There are some apartments on the SE corner of the intersection of Hwy 37 and Southport Rd that look decent. The name is Aspen Lakes and a one bed, one bath is $615/month. There is a gas station right by the apartments, and some grocery/strip mall type stores nearby and a CVS going in there soon.

Attached are links to info from Apartment Guide and a video of the staff there showing the grounds and apartment shots. Aside from the girl referring to Hwy 37 as an interstate, the video isn't bad.

Aspen Lakes Apartments Indianapolis, IN - Apartments for Rent in Indianapolis Indiana

YouTube - Indianapolis apartments Aspen Lakes apartments for rent in Indiana

Old 05-04-2011, 05:33 PM

Does Camby have any apartments???

Old 05-04-2011, 06:04 PM

Columbus could work too.

There are apartments on the 46 and 65 exit ... It would be a straight shot up 65 to U Indy and a winding drive to Bloomington on 46 ... Winters could be treacherous, though ...

Old 06-12-2011, 03:09 PM

15 posts, read 26,818 times
You described Camby, IN. It is 20 minutes to downtown and 30 to Bloomington. A lot of people live there who communte to Bloomington. There is a shopping area there called Heartland Crossing. There are homes and apartments. Depending on what you want to do you could even BUY a home there for less rent. Good luck

Old 06-13-2011, 08:07 AM

797 posts, read 2,338,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tires View Post
You described Camby, IN. It is 20 minutes to downtown and 30 to Bloomington. A lot of people live there who communte to Bloomington. There is a shopping area there called Heartland Crossing. There are homes and apartments. Depending on what you want to do you could even BUY a home there for less rent. Good luck
I'll buy 20 minutes into downtown Indy if it's not rush hour, but there's no way it's only 30 minutes to Bloomington. It's at least 50 minutes, possibly more. I've driven it numerous times. Also, in case anyone is thinking of arguing, it's ~40 miles from Camby to downtown Bloomington. To get there in 30 minutes, you would have to drive 80mph the entire distance without slowing down by 1mph for even 1 second or stopping at any lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana