Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:59 PM

6 posts, read 28,156 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what it is like in this town?
Are there lots of jobs in this town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 07:57 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,544 times
A lot of blue collar jobs. GE, Whirlpool, Toyota, etc... The downtown is a ghost town. The city revolves around the highschools and highschool sports. And somewhat around the 2 colleges.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 PM

71 posts, read 424,408 times
A good city for families, but not a great place if you are younger. I grew up there til I went to college at IU when I was 18. We were always bored and now I am 24 and don't really want to go back because there is not much to do there.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:49 PM

4 posts, read 15,061 times
Moving to Evansville from Columbia Tn. Can anyone tell me about Harrison High school is it a good school? I'm been looking online at this apartments Devonshire gardens, Village Green and Kimber Green. Are these nice apartment and in a good area. Any info would be great. Thanks

Old 06-05-2008, 07:37 AM

486 posts, read 1,897,085 times
50 years ago, Evansville was a busting industrial town. Now that many of these plants and factories have closed, central Evansville is pretty much dead and people have moved into Warrick County to the east (Newburgh, Boonville) and Posey County to the west where all of the newer developments are. My uncle lives closer to downtown and is desperately trying to move to Newburgh to be close to my grandfather because his neighborhood has gotten so "bad." As mentioned above, the town revolves around high school sports, Harrison High School in particular. Essentially when you drive down the Lloyd Expressway (not at all an expressway actually), there is a significant change from new to old and abandoned when you cross over the Green River Road bridge heading west towards downtown. It's sad actually because this city had a lot of potential. Here's a link to the Evansville page on city-data:
Evansville, Indiana (IN) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 06-05-2008, 08:13 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
As mentioned above, the town revolves around high school sports, Harrison High School in particular.
No offense, but Harrison High school is hardly the center of Evansville's high school sports universe. You would be laughed out of town for saying something like that.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:58 AM

89 posts, read 571,374 times
I found this page and think it has lots of useful information on Evansville.
Evansville: Weather and Much More from Answers.com

Also, look who is listed on this sites top 100 places to live in 2008.
Relocate-America'sâ„¢ 2008 Top 100 Places to Live (http://top100.relocate-america.com/ - broken link)

Old 06-05-2008, 05:48 PM

486 posts, read 1,897,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
No offense, but Harrison High school is hardly the center of Evansville's high school sports universe. You would be laughed out of town for saying something like that.
The point I was trying to make was that high school athletics are a major part of that town. Whenever I'm over there, I always seem to hear about HHS games going on or the score from the night before. I never hear about RHS or NHS...

Old 06-06-2008, 05:51 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
thanks

Old 06-28-2009, 06:14 PM

11 posts, read 38,759 times
Evansville, IN is a city in trouble. A lot of lay offs and not a lot of opportunities. Last I heard, they dismantled there unemployment because businesses said they could not afford to pay the premiums. There is a lot of crime there but not a lot of crime is reported. Mostly a red neck area. Racists and klan definitely in Evansville, IN even though they have a small minority group (10 to 12 percent). Racial tensions are boiling just under the all white fluffy surface. A little black kid was hung in a school in Evansville, the white (racist KKK) teacher said he was depressed and hung himself. He was obviously murdered but it appears no justice has been done for him so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana