Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 02:39 PM

4 posts, read 18,644 times

Advertisements

First, some things about me. I'm a male from Chicago, specifically the Bridgeport/McKinley Park area, so I am familiar with gangs and violence.

This is my first time moving out of my parent's house (I know, I'm so lame haha) so this will be a new experience. I'm also kind of nervous since it's my first time living alone. I'm a very quiet person and will spend most of my time studying with friends+classmates. I am not into the bar/party scene at all.

When I tell people that I will be moving to Rockford for school, they give me a sorry look and tell me how horrible Rockford is. Is it really true?

They specifically tell me the west side is horrible. I am confused as to what is considered west - do they mean west of the river? I believe the UIC campus is just east of the river so is that area considered "safe"?

I will buy a used car soon since people tell me that everything is 10-20 minutes away. Hopefully, rent is affordable.

Any opinions, both positive and negative, are appreciated. Thanks!

I plan on visiting Rockford in June to survey the area and looking for suitable housing. Until then... any feedback is welcomed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 07:10 PM

13 posts, read 54,976 times
Rockford native here. You'll be attending school at the UI College of Medicine at Rockford. This is located in a very safe established area and, in fact, one of the more beautiful sections of town.
Rockford is divided by the Rock River and that delineates west side and east side. Much of the central west and SW parts of town are rough to very rough. NW is better, but you'll have very little reason to go to the west side at all. The central east and SE parts of town nearest the river are also not very desirable. In general, Rockford's downtown area is nothing to write home about, although some cultural opportunities exist there. The river is beautiful and has a trail and other amenities on the east side north of downtown.
Seek housing in NE or SE Rockford. State Street is the N/S dividing line. If NE, stay east of Prospect. If SE, stay east of Fairview/Peter/31st/Ohio. NE includes Loves Park and Machesney Park suburban areas.
Good luck!

Old 04-19-2010, 07:47 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I have an interview later this week at Thermo-Fisher Scientific. It is way out NW in farm country Meridian RD and Dickinson RD. If it goes well I'd need to rent a room or something in the area as I live in Niles near Chicago right now. What areas of the NW are good?

Thanks

Old 04-19-2010, 10:23 AM

Hi Chemist,

Stay north of Fulton Av. in NW Rockford. You can also look on the east side around Riverside Blvd. Easy to zip across the river and get to work that way.

Other options are the village of Winnebago or even Freeport if you don't mind driving a little bit to work. No traffic from the west.

-N2C

Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2CHI View Post
Rockford native here. You'll be attending school at the UI College of Medicine at Rockford. This is located in a very safe established area and, in fact, one of the more beautiful sections of town.
Rockford is divided by the Rock River and that delineates west side and east side. Much of the central west and SW parts of town are rough to very rough. NW is better, but you'll have very little reason to go to the west side at all. The central east and SE parts of town nearest the river are also not very desirable. In general, Rockford's downtown area is nothing to write home about, although some cultural opportunities exist there. The river is beautiful and has a trail and other amenities on the east side north of downtown.
Seek housing in NE or SE Rockford. State Street is the N/S dividing line. If NE, stay east of Prospect. If SE, stay east of Fairview/Peter/31st/Ohio. NE includes Loves Park and Machesney Park suburban areas.
Good luck!
Thanks for such detailed info! I will be sure to hit up Google maps to do a quick survey of the area you are referring to. I'm still in class and on a horribly slow netbook, but I will rep you when I get home. THANKS! You have been really helpful

Old 04-19-2010, 11:07 AM

Oh and just one more question. Is rent comparable anywhere in Rockford? Or is it safe to assume that the safer areas like NE and SE are a bit more expensive?

Old 04-19-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoguy87 View Post
Oh and just one more question. Is rent comparable anywhere in Rockford? Or is it safe to assume that the safer areas like NE and SE are a bit more expensive?
Oops, I meant: is rent similarly priced everywhere in Rockford?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:13 PM

Sorry - not familiar with rents at all. I would think that rents would be higher in nicer areas as in most any city.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:06 PM

92 posts, read 345,151 times
Just for reference, we pay $1625/month for a 3br home with a 2 car garage on the east side of Rockford.

Speaking with some people, this is a bit on the high side and it's probably more house than you really need if you're living by yourself.

Coming from Chicago, you'll probably find that you'll get more for your money out here.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:42 PM

49 posts, read 177,697 times
Rents very depending upon the area. You can find a studio for $250 in the bad areas all the way up to several 1,000 for a nice new house. For a 1 bedroom apartment expect to spend at least $450 a month for a decent apartment. Anything less and you will probably land you in one of the not so desirable areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois