Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 04:13 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,513,424 times

Advertisements

There is a Peoria FaceBook group that posts old photos of days gone past in the Peoria area, if anyone is going to have this information and be able to help with your question it would be that group. Don't remember the name of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 11:12 PM

51 posts, read 115,433 times
Thanks for response !

There is a blogger in Peoria that I contacted years ago, but he wouldn't post my info. Am hoping that more historic aerial imagery from that time period will be made available on-line. Have already examined what's currently available with no success, so it's evidently further out than I thought...

Would be great if just one person would run across the "picture" and recognize it !

John

Old 02-04-2019, 09:36 PM

Still searching for this place which could be anywhere within 60 mile or so radius of Peoria covering several other counties in W. Central Illinois.

Continuing to hope that someone will recognize the "composed" picture earlier in this thread...

Thanks again for mentioning it to anyone you may know in search area !

John

Old 09-30-2019, 08:04 PM

The mystery continues---anyone new from search area that is old enough to remember the posted image or knows someone who might ???

Thanks much for any help !
John

Old 06-27-2020, 09:24 PM

The search continues for location of this old Sinclair gas-station that family friends used for their heating/plumbing business back in 1969/70...

Very possibly long-gone due to development, but am still hoping after years of searching that some older person within the very large search area will remember this place.

Thanks very much for sharing this with anyone you know in that area that might be able to help !

John

Old 06-28-2020, 06:58 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,065,938 times
A bit off-topic, but I still have a green, plastic, brontosaurus coin "piggy bank" that Pop got for me from a Sinclair station back in the mid-1960's. I've thought it should go to a collector of all things Sinclair. I still remember the ad for "Dinosaur Power".

There are still active Sinclair stations, I've seen them in Utah, and they probably still exist around the town of Sinclair, Wyoming. OP, have you tried www.historicaerials.com?

Old 07-19-2020, 03:43 PM

Thanks for response !

Yes, have spent countless hours at historicaerials.com through the years. Unfortunately, most of the search area doesn't have imagery dating that far back.

I've also contacted Sinclair Corporate to see if they had station records back to the fifties when gas-station was still operational, but no luck...

Remember my sister getting an inflatable "Dino" back in the late '60's (I think)... Lots of collectors out there !

Still looking !

John

Old 07-19-2020, 03:52 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,101 times
Contact Sinclair, their archives will have an address for every Sinclair station.

Old 07-21-2020, 05:10 PM

Danbo1957---I have contacted Sinclair Corporate. Once on my own and again through a guy I worked with who had family in the business. Was told that information from the 1950's was not available... Do you have a contact ?

Thanks for response !

John

Old 07-21-2020, 11:15 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,065,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrhonda91 View Post
Danbo1957---I have contacted Sinclair Corporate. Once on my own and again through a guy I worked with who had family in the business. Was told that information from the 1950's was not available... Do you have a contact ?
Thanks for response !
John
Would the State have information on older businesses? There was likely no EPA at that time, but the State Fire Marshall (local office) would likely have done inspections on a gas station. Maybe the local real estate tax rolls would contain archived information? Building permits, Business licenses, State Income tax, Dept. of weights and measures (or Agricultural) would have done fuel dispenser calibrations and issued stickers.

Being 60-70 years ago, it would take an old-timer to remember it. If it weren't for the Covid, you could probably talk to some oldsters in the local taverns who would have a memory of it. A local newspaper may also be a good resource, they may have digital copies of old papers, that may have photos or ads you could peruse. Per Sinclair's website, there are only four Sinclair stations still in IL, one up by Decatur and three down by the Kentucky border. I was hoping there might be a nearby station that was taken over by a relative who might have a good memory.

Oh, yeah - I'm sure there are historical societies or local libraries down there that could help with this. My buddy lives down there, and most of his older family are gone - five years ago I could have circulated that picture among them and probably got an answer for you.

Edit: I just found this for you - it looks like it shows all of the Sinclair stations in IL in the 1950's - you could always contact the owner and see if he'll send you a photocopy, if it has the info you want (but it's only fourteen bucks). Good Luck.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/7912532...c-illinois-gas

Another edit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Sincl...-/362635803776
I'm turning out to be a real Dickless Tracy, thanks for the opportunity.

Last edited by Curly Q. Bobalink; 07-22-2020 at 12:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois