Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:56 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,499,185 times

Advertisements

I always enjoyed the 5 dollar pizzas out of the deliver guys trunk outside the ritz at 1 AM. Or the Dillons hot dog stand...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 03:59 PM

158 posts, read 379,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I always enjoyed the 5 dollar pizzas out of the deliver guys trunk outside the ritz at 1 AM. Or the Dillons hot dog stand...lol
They knocked dillons down this year-- I don't know why though

Old 05-16-2009, 02:12 AM

62 posts, read 293,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily75 View Post
Hi all,

My partner and I are going to move to Illinois for our new jobs, one in Macomb, the other in Galesburg. We are trying to decide where to live. It looks like a reasonable commute btw the two places. Which place would you recommend living? Also, are there any nice places in between so that neither has to driving that much? Any other things to consider? We are not familiar with Illinois at all, so any advice would be very helpful. I really appreciate it!
I've visited both Macomb and Galesburg a large number of times (usually for 2 or 3 days per visit), but have never lived in either place. Personally, I would choose Macomb over Galesburg. Macomb is a very peaceful and quaint town, almost like Andy Griffith's imaginary town of Mayberry. Macomb seems to have a tremendous amount of hometown spirit and much of it revolves around WIU, the local state university. Further, Macomb is very affordable and has very decent shopping options and related amenities. Macomb also has more natural beauty than Galesburg; it's more heavily forested, with several very nice parks in and near the city, and some nice rolling hillside, especially to the west of the city.

Galesburg has a much more urban feel than Macomb. Based on my visits to Galesburg, I also had a strong sense there's much more crime in this town. The only major benefit of Galesburg relative to Macomb is Galesburg has much easier access to the larger metro areas, such as the Quad Cities and Peoria.

Someone else mentioned Monmouth as a nice in-between option, and I'd agree with that. I've been through Monmouth a number of times, but unlike Macomb and Galesburg I never did anything more than drive through Monmouth. However, for me Monmouth would be too small and the amenities too limited.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 02-06-2021, 05:08 PM

21 posts, read 60,822 times
Are any of the people who commented still on here? I’d love to hear more about Macombs amenities(updated)
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois