Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 08:55 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,062,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I myself am living what they call a "semi-rural" area in eastern Will County.
I myself am living in what they call a "semi-rural" area in eastern Will County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Shortly after rolling into Chicago Heights, they'll start to notice some of the same elements that have always freaked them out in Kankakee. Once they've driven east of Halsted, they'll start to wonder why the hell they're so scared of the pleasant city of Kankakee.
With the exception of 2001, the Chicago Heights crime index has been higher than Kankakee's every year from 2000 to 2008. In fact, it's been significantly higher most years. This is ironic because most south suburbanites who live near Chicago Heights don't talk about The Heights with the same level of intensity as how Kankakee County residents often talk about the city of Kankakeee.

Last edited by urza216; 12-09-2010 at 09:28 AM..

Old 12-09-2010, 10:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Why is that "ironic?" Kinda reminds me of that stupid song by Alannis Morissette supposedly enumerating a long list of ironies, none of which are actually ironic.

You think maybe visibility has something to do with it? Kankakee is the central hub of its immediate region with little else around it whereas Chicago Heights is just part of a continuum of mediocrity and the hub of nothing.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Why is that "ironic?" Kinda reminds me of that stupid song by Alannis Morissette supposedly enumerating a long list of ironies, none of which are actually ironic.

You think maybe visibility has something to do with it? Kankakee is the central hub of its immediate region with little else around it whereas Chicago Heights is just part of a continuum of mediocrity and the hub of nothing.
Absolutely not true. The community college is in Chicago Heights. The DMV office is in Chicago heights. The area's hospital is in Chicago Heights. The social security office is in Chicago Heights. Ect. It's the largest town in the area and often events are in the Heights.

Chicago Heights served as the area's economic hub before the factories closed down - just like Kankakee.

Believe it or not, Chicago Heights, Kankakee and Gary were all thriving industrial towns at one time. They suffered similar fates.

Last edited by urza216; 12-09-2010 at 11:31 AM..

Old 12-09-2010, 01:54 PM

99 posts, read 136,876 times
The problem I find is that the mayor of this town could easily raise property taxes and drive the scum and criminals away from the area to go somewhere else. You raise the cost of living in the city of Kankakee, raise the taxes, and the people that have brought this city down will be driven out of their homes and have to be forced to move! Thats how you take care of business. But if you want to continue to cater to people on welfare, then the crime and criminals will stay in Kankakee. You also invest more money into the police force so they feel as if they are working for something instead of being treated like crap. You wonder why cities like Naperville have no crime? Because the city makes sure to pay their police department to make arrests and keep scum out of their neighborhoods. You never would see the type of people that live in Kankakee living in Naperville would you? No you wouldn't!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:51 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,084 times
How's this for my definition of "rural":

Any place within one hour or less drive to a fast food restaurant is NOT rural. If you can drive for 50 miles in every direction without being able to stop at a drive through window then ok, you've found it!

Are there any places like that left in Southeastern Wisconsin or Northeastern Illinois? If so, let me know where - thanks!

I do feel sorry for everyone who hasn't enjoyed at least a few years of true rural life. Yes, this is a different thread, but I do think it does relate to the past and present quality of life in Kankakee.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:45 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,084 times
Oh dear, Drover, don't devolve the conversation.

Back to the thread title - my point was that no, Kankakee isn't that bad, if you like an urban area. As I ended my first post, "More power to those folks who are willing to get in and revitalize an older urban community."

My ancestors settled in Kankakee County in 1856. When I was a child my family went back to the family farm just south of the city several times a year throughout the 1960s and 1970s, so I feel a deep connection to the community. Many of the posts here about current conditions just make me sad. I appreciate the posts from those who have tried to explain current conditions. It seems as though the decline of both manufacturing and family farming has injured Kankakee severely. That's true about MANY cities and towns throughout America.

I surely don't know what the solution is. If I did, maybe I'd be willing to go back to the old family home. Instead, I choose to cling to what's left of rural American life.

As I said before, more power to those of you who are willing to try to keep urban communities like Kankakee alive.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:29 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily0fthevalley View Post
How's this for my definition of "rural":

Any place within one hour or less drive to a fast food restaurant is NOT rural. If you can drive for 50 miles in every direction without being able to stop at a drive through window then ok, you've found it!

Are there any places like that left in Southeastern Wisconsin or Northeastern Illinois? If so, let me know where - thanks!

I do feel sorry for everyone who hasn't enjoyed at least a few years of true rural life. Yes, this is a different thread, but I do think it does relate to the past and present quality of life in Kankakee.
By your definition of rural, one would have to go and live in the western end of the plains states or very No. WI, MN or MI. Funny, many agricultural areas of IL feel quite rural to me, even though a drive-thru window may only be 10-25 miles away. When I see open fields with the homesteads mixed in, it's rural. I can see where someone from Western WY. might travel "rural" IL and feel hemmed in. It's much like the debate about where So. IL begins- It's all in our own perspective.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:33 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
I can name a half-dozen small towns and villages where there is no drive-in window even at the bank. it is very unlikely not to find said "window" somewhere nearby in that county. By the same token I can also show you areas where it is 50 miles to the nearest city hospital or Interstate and 200 miles to the nearest Trader Joe's. So what? It does not mean there are no federal highways or local 25-bed hospitals because there are. It only means there is no "big city" nearby. So what?

I don't feel deprived because I no longer live in Cnicago. If you live in Chicago do you feel deprived because you do not live in a rural area? No? I would be shocked if you said you did. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I think we should agree to live and let live; be happy where you are. Some of us do not have a choice - but it is no excuse to be ugly about it.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben44 View Post
People need to realize there is a HUGE difference between the city of Kankakee and what people often refer to as Kankakee. 80% of the city of Kankakee is nasty, the other 20% is pretty nice. And then in other communities, such as Bradley, Bourbonnais, Limestone and Manteno you will find what I think are a few of the hidden gems in the state.

If you can stay in the 3 high school districts of BBCHS, Manteno and Herscher you will be fine, just need to stay away from #111 if you have children.
Bradley and Bourbonnais are nothing more or less than Kankakee white flight communities. Housing was built, the populations drastically increased and all the shopping centers and Northfield Mall and such were built in the Bradley-Bourbonnais area instead of Kankakee. They could have redeveloped Kankakee but nope, they turned two farm towns into two towns modeled after suburban Chicago.

I disagree. Kankakee is a gem. The city of Kankakee has spiffy architecture, an AMAZING library and a rich history. There's nothing particularly special about Bradley or Bourbonnais without Kankakee. It's too bad Kankakee was left to rot.

Just for the record, I actually LIKE shopping in Bradley-Bourbonnais, sometimes. I bought a few Christmas presents at Northfield Mall this year. I'm a patron at the Barnes And Noble out that way. But the towns are not "gems" to me. I would be interested in an elaboration on why you think they're gems.

Last edited by urza216; 12-21-2010 at 12:00 PM..

Old 12-21-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben44 View Post
Because I love the rural feel, yet fairly close to the suburban areas, making Kankakee County fairly unique.
I agree that Kankakee County is one of a kind and know what you mean. I think I might have misread your post. Are you a resident or former resident of Kankakee County? What town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois