Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 10:33 PM

4 posts, read 19,277 times

Advertisements

I need some solid opinions on the benefits of these suburbs. My husband and I are in the market for a single family home - price range 1.2 million. We are looking for a newer (under 10 years) home, with nice amenities. Moving from the city, a neighborhood feel is important to us. We would prefer to live near downtown, but would consider a subdivision for the right house.

I do not want to live in a "tear" down neighborhood. Although we love variety - i'm not comfortable living next to homes half the size of mine. Glenview has a lot nice homes, however I haven't found the right neighborhood - and i'm not sure about the downtown. Glencoe is adorable - but most homes in our price range are older rehabs.
Glen Ellyn and Wheaton seem nice - however I think the commute time may be longer to downtown vs. Glenview?

Schools are important to us, my research shows that all of the districts are above average.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 10:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Of the options provided, Glenview is where you'll be most likely to meet all of your criteria. You're not going to find anything, especially in the 1.2M range, that is 10 years old or less and not in a "tear-down" area in the other three; they've been built up from stem to stern for decades now with no more room for new developments/subdivisions. Glenview is the only one on the list that has or recently had any open space left for newer subdivisions. Specifically, there has been a lot of new development on the former Glenview Naval Station in the last decade or so. They've built an ersatz downtown along the "new urbanism" model with pretty decent-sized homes nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois