Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2023, 02:27 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times

Advertisements

Hello.

We plan to visit these two parks for the first time later this month. We like walking in the woods with our leashed dog, but I actually do not like walking with her at Starved Rock State Park because there are too many stairs and cliffs / drop-offs. It's too much, especially if you happen to be there on a popular day with lots of others on the trail.

So, I'm writing to ask what the hiking trails are like at these two parks. For those familiar with Starved Rock, are these two parks as up-and-down as Starved Rock, or are there trail options that are mostly flat (or with gradual ascent / descent)?

Thanks for any tips you might be able to give us. Basically, we are trying to decide whether or not to bring the dog on this first trip to those parks.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2023, 08:14 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
Hello.

We plan to visit these two parks for the first time later this month. We like walking in the woods with our leashed dog, but I actually do not like walking with her at Starved Rock State Park because there are too many stairs and cliffs / drop-offs. It's too much, especially if you happen to be there on a popular day with lots of others on the trail.

So, I'm writing to ask what the hiking trails are like at these two parks. For those familiar with Starved Rock, are these two parks as up-and-down as Starved Rock, or are there trail options that are mostly flat (or with gradual ascent / descent)?

Thanks for any tips you might be able to give us. Basically, we are trying to decide whether or not to bring the dog on this first trip to those parks.

Thanks again.
I suggest you look for a park brochure. Not sure about restrictions for dogs on leash. Trails should be rated from easy or more difficult.

Between these 2 & Starved Rock you could not pick more different parks. Starved Rock is more about the bluffs & it's relation to the river. Castle Rock is about a bluff of limestone. White Pines is mostly about a forested area. As a busy park may have more restrictions for dogs. May be less busy in October depending on when leaves change.

Old 10-01-2023, 09:35 PM

251 posts, read 197,539 times
I went to Castle rock, but just the bluff overlook part.

I can definitely say that it's less crowded than the starved rock area. It seems to be more gradual than starved rock and more leisurely.

Old 10-02-2023, 04:40 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times
Thank you very much, GWoodle and Chicago-guy, for these helpful replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: