Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:49 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,724,829 times

Advertisements

There is also still a Barnaby's off 41 in Northbrook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 04:52 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,724,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post

I saw a Big Boys in Kentucky a few weeks ago, but it was no longer called "Bob's Big Boy." It was called Frisch's Big Boy.
Big Boy's has always been a national chain, they just add the franchisee's name.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:05 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Lum's
Do you mean the beer hot dog Lums?

Yummy! Was there one in Chicago? The one I knew was in Nashville, TN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Jack In The Box is mostly just in the southwest, and in Illinois it's only near St. Louis. It's not in any other major metros east of the Mississippi River.

Arthur Treasures is now just exclusively in the New York metro, Ohio and Penn. They had major financial troubles and pulled out of places to retool their model.
There are Jack In The Box's here in South Carolina, so it is southeast too. A place named Miami Subs used to have a restaurant down here and they served Arthur Treachers too. They closed up a few years ago but still had a location in Spartanburg, SC.

Last edited by myrc60; 06-02-2008 at 08:13 PM..

Old 06-02-2008, 09:06 PM

27 posts, read 145,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
Big Boy's has always been a national chain, they just add the franchisee's name.
Yet another chain that left Chicago...

Old 06-02-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish setter girl View Post
For you Pondersoa lovers out there, I think the one on New York St. in Aurora is still operating. I just remember going there as a kid and eating the potato wedges with cheese sauce.
No I wish. I could use some of that taco bar..

Old 06-02-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Wow...we're really talking old school here: he Walgreens lunch counter. We used to get pumpkin pie and hot chocolate there in the winter while waiting for the bus to take us to our dance lessons near Lincoln Square.
And who can forget the Walgreen's cafeteria across from Marshall Field's on State Street. Remember you walked right in and the escalator takes you down to a good salisbury steak meal. Boy does time fly..

Old 06-02-2008, 09:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Here's another chain that is more or less gone from Chicago-area (I think there are about 2 left): Bob Evans.

I sense a common thread among a lot of the chains that have pulled out of the Chicago area: they are, for lack of a better term, "old-school." Times have changed on the culinary scene, and a lot of these places didn't change with it. Those changes are especially pronounced in the Chicago area which has seen an explosion of ethnic foods to match our changing demographics. This influx of new styles (new to us anyway) have also made Chicago one of the most innovative and experimental culinary cities in the world, aided by the presence of top schools like Kendall and CHIC who churn out fresh chefs with fresh ideas about how to tweak and/or combine these numerous ethnic styles.

That's my hypothesis anyway. In a city with new and exciting culinary styles cropping up all the time, the same-old same-old chains just don't hold much appeal any more. Ironically, some of the chains that used to be new and fresh (Chili's, Applebee's) are starting to get a little old and stale themselves. I see Claim Jumper is starting to move in on Chicago territory. It will be interesting to see how they do.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspect2 View Post
And who can forget the Walgreen's cafeteria across from Marshall Field's on State Street. Remember you walked right in and the escalator takes you down to a good salisbury steak meal. Boy does time fly..
There used to be a whole chain of these, called Wag's.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:34 PM

The cafeteria across from Marshall Fields was a genuine high cholesterol nostalgic cafeteria. Th eventual Wag's is like IHOP. Big difference.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Here's another chain that is more or less gone from Chicago-area (I think there are about 2 left): Bob Evans.

I sense a common thread among a lot of the chains that have pulled out of the Chicago area: they are, for lack of a better term, "old-school." Times have changed on the culinary scene, and a lot of these places didn't change with it. Those changes are especially pronounced in the Chicago area which has seen an explosion of ethnic foods to match our changing demographics. This influx of new styles (new to us anyway) have also made Chicago one of the most innovative and experimental culinary cities in the world, aided by the presence of top schools like Kendall and CHIC who churn out fresh chefs with fresh ideas about how to tweak and/or combine these numerous ethnic styles.

That's my hypothesis anyway. In a city with new and exciting culinary styles cropping up all the time, the same-old same-old chains just don't hold much appeal any more. Ironically, some of the chains that used to be new and fresh (Chili's, Applebee's) are starting to get a little old and stale themselves. I see Claim Jumper is starting to move in on Chicago territory. It will be interesting to see how they do.
Bolingbrook closed because of poor biz a few years ago (I knew the G.M). Naperville does OK last I heard and Joliet does very well. I think it's funny that they had a location on Golf Road not far from Woodfield Mall which of course did not last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois