Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2023, 10:21 PM

251 posts, read 197,539 times

Advertisements

Got me interested in some Illinois Native American history.

Shabbona warning settlers before the Indian creek massacre
Blackhawk wars due to false treaties
Pottwatomis being the native tribe removed from Chicago
Indian Boundary that prevented Natives from coming to Chicago
Sauganash neighborhood and Caldwell street named after a native american that sold his land.

Anyone got some historical facts that deal with natives from their area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2023, 12:20 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Billy Caldwell was half Irish and half Iroquois yet a big shot with the Potawatomies. Caldwell fought against the Americans in the War of 1812 and his father was the infamous Willam Caldwell, a British soldier who during the American Revolution harassed the Frontier from his base at Detroit. Most famous was his raid into Kentucky with a force of British troops and Great Lakes Indians during which he bushwhacked and defeated the Kentucky militia at Blue Licks. Daniel Boone's youngest son was killed in the fight.

Old 07-24-2023, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Billy Caldwell was half Irish and half Iroquois yet a big shot with the Potawatomies. Caldwell fought against the Americans in the War of 1812 and his father was the infamous Willam Caldwell, a British soldier who during the American Revolution harassed the Frontier from his base at Detroit. Most famous was his raid into Kentucky with a force of British troops and Great Lakes Indians during which he bushwhacked and defeated the Kentucky militia at Blue Licks. Daniel Boone's youngest son was killed in the fight.
After minor research, He's also the reason Sauganash got its name. Which means English speaker/English man. Caldwell ave is also in that neighborhood (Highway 14)

I also just recently found out that Half day road is named after a Potawatomi Who was called Half day.
I always thought it was due to it being half a day away from downtown Chicago or something.

Old 07-25-2023, 07:50 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
Chicago-guy,

and yet, for ME, it was Alice Cooper that taught me, "Milwaukee" means.... "the good land."

Old 07-25-2023, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Chicago-guy,

and yet, for ME, it was Alice Cooper that taught me, "Milwaukee" means.... "the good land."
It is Chicago related.thanks to the movie.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:17 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
Chicago-guy,

and to quote:

.... Aurora. A suburb of Chicago.... EXCELLENT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois