Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 04:34 PM

146 posts, read 152,052 times

Advertisements

Some states like to milk you dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 10:26 PM

3,184 posts, read 1,657,476 times
You are free to leave the state. We can complain about high price of gas or food, do something about it than just complain.

Old 11-09-2022, 04:13 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
You are free to leave the state. We can complain about high price of gas or food, do something about it than just complain.
Bullseye!

Old 11-10-2022, 09:42 PM

219 posts, read 135,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
...than Kentucky?
I just looked at some really nice homes not far across the Illinois border, homes that are valued the same as my current, only nicer homes on bigger lots. I also visited the area while boating on Kentucky lake, met with local residents; most of which originally are from or near Chicago. Upon my return, I've been asking everyone what services we receive here that warrant my $5,000 as opposed to $500?, and even the former HR director in Berwyn cannot provide me an answer.
Gasoline is $1 less down there, while wages are almost the same as Illinois on similar occupations.
And the homes are 30% less in Kentucky, people generally friendlier than here.
Illinois, including Chicago; is overrated, as you simply don't receive value in return.
Why?, where could all this money possibly be going?
Taxes are too high in Illinois. Despite that I'd pick Illinois over Kentucky any day of the week.

Kentucky is ranked 48th in Life expectancy, ranked 5th poorest state,

Old 11-11-2022, 06:06 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
https://www.nbcchicago.com/illinois-...stand/2992769/

I do try, voted against this one; only the fact it's so close indicates too much corruption and ignorance to overcome.

Old 12-27-2022, 11:18 AM

685 posts, read 766,789 times
Taxes are high here. Although they are a bit lower Downstate. Generally, real estate tax is the worst offender. Gas taxes are also high. Real estate taxes are high because there is no taxpayer protection (e.g. no TABOR or Hancock) and no budget protection (long-term obligations...bonds and pensions).

It's not all bad though...

- IL does not tax retirement income.
- IL does not have personal property taxes.
- No grocery taxes.
- Incomes are higher than every surrounding state. This is certainly true in my field (project management), especially in Chicago.
- My utility rates are cheaper here vs my property in MO.
- The state implemented Tier II pensions, which represent a significant long-term improvement to pension obligations.

Old 12-27-2022, 12:49 PM

117 posts, read 84,306 times
I remember back when Illinois started taxing mobile homes 10 years ago. It was like a big middle finger to lower income folks trying to get ahead.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:32 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Wages across the United States are not disparate enough to account for the cost of living. This is why there was a robust trend of relocation out of high-cost urban areas for lower-cost ones at the height of the pandemic. For most highly educated professionals, the salaries and wages for their profession are fairly uniform across state lines and metro areas. In fact, counterintuitively, many professionals like physicians and surgeons earn higher incomes in less expensive, less desirable, and more rural communities. Salaries for those jobs are often lower in New York, Chicago, LA, etc. than they are in Lexington, KY, Great Falls, MT, etc.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:37 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everMissouri View Post
Some states like to milk you dry.
Missouri is also consistently rated below average as well, it doesn't do anything well- it has different negative problems compared to Illinois.

Old 12-29-2022, 10:32 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
I did do something about it, and the food prices as well; by stocking up.
But the reality is, there are many not as fortunate as I; and are simply not able to relocate to other states.
Of course, some of these residents were foolish enough to use their own homes as cash stations for businesses; or even vehicles they could not afford.
Even when you're smart with finances, owning property in Illinois vs. renting is about equal...unless you are forced to replace a sewer line. Then renting is cheaper, as it generally takes many years for homes to appreciate enough to offset the high taxes and maintenance costs of owning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois