Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 09:19 PM

1,216 posts, read 511,924 times

Advertisements

Cairo you can live there for free!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 12:52 AM

197 posts, read 235,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnMac89 View Post
Needs to offer low crime neighborhoods because we like to walk at night.
Just a friendly caution, this type of wording usually comes across as veiled racism.

Everything you described is not going to be something you'll easily find outside of the north shore suburbs, or maybe Oak Park. Champaign near U of I would be the next closest thing outside of the Chicago area. I don't think Carbondale will fit the bill, but if you absolutely need to stay south of Champaign, that's probably the best choice.

Old 07-13-2022, 07:45 AM

529 posts, read 647,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caglee View Post
Just a friendly caution, this type of wording usually comes across as veiled racism.
Are you implying that only people of color commit crimes?

Seems to come across as veiled racism, just a friendly caution to you.

Old 07-13-2022, 04:16 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
Na veiled racism would be if you brought up the South Side of Chicago, St. Louis, East LA, Detroit (and most large cities in Michigan). Cleveland and the list goes on. Now THAT could easily be veiled racism, or just a bit of reality as to bastions of crime. So now we can't deal with simple realities because it's not politically correct?

Old 07-13-2022, 06:33 PM

212 posts, read 230,494 times
Ya that was a fair way to ask about an area’s safety. Saying “low crime” is referring to the behavior of individuals in the area, regardless of who they are. I think you’re fine, OP

Old 07-14-2022, 07:56 AM

51 posts, read 72,404 times
Champaign-Urbana is the most liberal area south of Chicago; this is not Southern Illinois, even though people North of interstate 80 think it is. Like others have mentioned, Carbondale is probably the only real option in real Southern Illinois. Carbondale is pretty small, but there are very scenic areas near by in the national forest.

Old 07-14-2022, 07:43 PM

42 posts, read 85,993 times
Would you take Edwardsville ill compared to towns in Missouri close to illinois/ Missouri border?

Old 07-15-2022, 05:09 PM

525 posts, read 718,929 times
Carbondale is small but it is a nice college town due to SIU. Student population should make the town more blue than most southern Illinois towns outside Metro East. I know people there also like Murphysboro and Carterville.

For Metro East, I have always liked Belleville and Edwardsville. There are other charming towns like Columbia, Waterloo, Millstadt, and Caseyville but I don't know how they are politically.

I've heard great things about Jacksonville outside Springfield about 1.5 hours north of St. Louis Metro. First college in Illinois was founded there. I would love to know more about Jacksonville if anyone can make comments on that town. I got a job offer there and it would put me 3 hours away from my family in Cape Girardeau, MO.

Old 07-21-2022, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,775 times
It's more central than south, but Champaign-Urbana is kind of the best of both worlds. Very liberal town with a huge pride parade, lots of students, good library system, good bike path, etc. It's only about an hour to the Indiana border which means if you want to do an evening in Indianapolis, it's about a two hour trip. Chicago is two and a half by car, and there is an Amtrak station in town with a line that goes to Chicago as well. There's also a lot of small towns nearby that are easier to find housing in should you wish to live in a smaller town but still be quite close to the city: Savoy, Philo, Tolono, Mahomet, etc. all have a fairly large amount of housing and you can get to Champaign Urbana by car within thirty minutes. For health care, there are two hospital systems in town (Carle Hospital and Heart of Mary Medical Center - run by OSF). Closest Airport would be in Bloomington though, which is about an hour away by car.

Bloomington-Normal
is further north than Champaign-Urbana but it is also quite liberal and a good community. Huge bike path, very diverse, very friendly. Lots of local businesses. At least one hospital - also run by OSF - and I believe there may be a Carle clinic there as well. Has some cool art deco buildings downtown. About half college students and half state farm employees depending on where you are. There's a train to Chicago that is on the high speed rail line between Chicago and St. Louis. I believe its still under construction but the construction is up by Chicago now, so most of the line should be functional. There is also a local airport here - Central IL Regional Airport. It does some direct flights to Florida and can also do flights to O'Hare/Midway to Florida.

If you want to live further south, Springfield isn't awful. It has a lot of hometown charm. But it def leans more right-wing, even if a lot of blue politicians moonlight there. It's worth a day trip but I wouldn't commit to it site unseen. It also has a train station to Chicago, but the train ride is four hours instead of two, and the parking situation is not as good as at the station in Chambana IMO. Be warned the pizza is closer to Imos than Lou Malnatis, though.

As far as Jacksonville, @SciFiNerd1, one of my friends taught in the school system there for a long time and found it a very good job she enjoyed a lot! But it is a pretty small town and most of her problems with it have been with typical small town problems (eg people gossiping). Overall though she would recommend it if you can live the small town lifestyle.

Old 11-25-2022, 12:19 AM

3,446 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twb0392 View Post
Champaign-Urbana is the most liberal area south of Chicago; this is not Southern Illinois, even though people North of interstate 80 think it is. Like others have mentioned, Carbondale is probably the only real option in real Southern Illinois. Carbondale is pretty small, but there are very scenic areas near by in the national forest.
I'd say to some extent, one would find liberals also near Peoria, Springfield, and in the 'metro east'(any of the IL communities, east of Saint Louis) as well. I think there might also be a few, near the Quad Cities as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois