Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 07:01 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times

Advertisements

maclock, good morning,

I know SOMEWHERE on here, there was a discussion on that term.... and YOU may have revived it! LOL

Sincerely,

Master Jay, the latinx

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 07:57 AM

529 posts, read 647,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Quad Cities?
Love the quad cities but the Iowa side would be much preferred to the illinois side.

If i were to move anywhere in the state, i'd probably lean towards Mount Vernon.

Old 11-02-2021, 08:22 AM

33 posts, read 43,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Bwahaha!
Latinx: "a person of Latin American origin or descent...[,] used as a gender-neutral...alternative to Latino [Male] or Latina [Female] - Oxford Dictionary".

Old 11-02-2021, 08:37 AM

FoxValleyTrotter, good morning.

Thank you for sharing. I would say, that in this day and age, the information you provided IS relevant.

Yet, I think there are going to be people (my SELF included) that just hold onto the language that we were raised on.... I am bilingual/bicultural European-American and Mexican-American. And I certainly DO use the terms "latino(s)" and "latina(s)".

so I GUESS if anyone wants to chastise me or cancel me or "whatever" me, they certainly have that right to TRY.

Old 11-03-2021, 04:58 AM

80 posts, read 80,271 times
Default thanks for that info on rockford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxValleyTrotter View Post
Yeah, Peoria is a work of progress still as much of the town is not very well. Even Rockford, IL has better culture than Peoria now. Rockford is making a comeback but the west side still needs more improvements. The area also has historically been Illinois's second-largest metro so there are many suburbs like Belvidere, Loves Park, Rockton, Roscoe, Machanseny Park, Pecatonica, etc. Peoria doesn't really have any notable suburbs at all. Rockford also is home to one of the best medical schools in the U.S. if not the world (University of Illinois-Rockford Medical Center). There is also a community college and a private university that isn't bad at all. There is a rich history and the historic districts are not in shambles like Peoria's (except for some neighborhoods on the west side of course). There is also plenty of new development in town and the surrounding suburbs. There are a few upper-class neighborhoods and suburbs as well. The immigration history is probably richer than Peoria's because there are many Latinx, African, Swedish, Italian, Samoan, (and more) cultures that immigrate to the city and set up shop.

Champaign has some crime and poverty but that's only because it's a major college town. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is in the top 100 best colleges in the world. There are 3 vibrant downtown cores; Campustown, downtown Champaign and downtown Urbana. There are many indoor and outdoor shopping malls and entertainment/nightlife destinations. The university was named the #1 party university in the world so that's a major reason the town(s) are so much fun to visit. The town(s) are also very technological so the city is a major tech hub. There are a few high-rise buildings and there are more skyscrapers soon to come. I personally love tech hubs and this area was named one of the best tech-towns in the Midwest, let alone the United States. This city is also home to international students and residents too.

Peoria sometimes just feels so empty to me even though it has the most impressive skyline outside of Chicago which is weird because you'd expect it to be dense. Champaign-Urbana has the second most impressive skyline outside of Chicago and it's soon to be the best along with Rockford which is getting a few more buildings as well.
Did not know rockford, Il had that much to offer. climate still stinks though, no way around that.

Old 11-03-2021, 11:26 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,394,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOlBear7 View Post
Did not know rockford, Il had that much to offer. climate still stinks though, no way around that.
It doesn’t, it has a long way to come back. The suburbs of Rockford are “ok” comparatively speaking.

Old 11-04-2021, 12:39 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxvalleytrotter View Post
latinx: "a person of latin american origin or descent...[,] used by woke folx as a gender-neutral...alternative to latino [male] or latina [female] - oxford dictionary".
Fixed that for ya.

Old 11-05-2021, 11:28 AM

732 posts, read 484,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxValleyTrotter View Post
Latinx: "a person of Latin American origin or descent...[,] used as a gender-neutral...alternative to Latino [Male] or Latina [Female] - Oxford Dictionary".
I prefer the term femalex, it's more inclusive for both birthing-people females and testicled-people females. Applies to malex, too.

Oh yeh, and Mastah Jay, whatup dudex!

Old 11-05-2021, 12:03 PM

G in MP, good day.

I have NEVER referred to myself as Latinx, and probably never will.

I hate to say it, but TECHNICALLY with that argument, one would have to ALSO change from hispano/hispana to "hispanx."

Up until NOW, I have not heard that argument made. Maybe it has, and I just have not heard of it yet. ... Or maybe after reading this FUN post, people will START to use HISPANX.

If someone wants to call themselves Latinx or Hispanx, or whatever, they can have at it. I don't let someone else's "issue" be MY issue.

PEACE!

Old 11-05-2021, 07:39 PM

732 posts, read 484,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
G in MP, good day.

I have NEVER referred to myself as Latinx, and probably never will.

I hate to say it, but TECHNICALLY with that argument, one would have to ALSO change from hispano/hispana to "hispanx."

Up until NOW, I have not heard that argument made. Maybe it has, and I just have not heard of it yet. ... Or maybe after reading this FUN post, people will START to use HISPANX.

If someone wants to call themselves Latinx or Hispanx, or whatever, they can have at it. I don't let someone else's "issue" be MY issue.

PEACE!
Now now, as far as I recall, you're only have hispanx. On the other hand, my wife is full PR, so I will henceforth have to refer to her as boriquax.

Some of us may remember a certain record store and music label over there on Lincoln by Fullerton, Wax Trax. See that, they were ahead of their time with the X stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois