Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 07:31 AM

4,655 posts, read 3,264,125 times

Advertisements

BOBNCHI, good morning.

I kind of figured. When I looked at the map, and saw how close Antioch was, I figured that THAT would be a nice place to go.

I understand that Trevor is also not too far from Lake Geneva, WI. I like Lake Geneva, but i understand that not everyone is a fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 07:45 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,852 times
In the early 70s dad would take us fishing at Camp Lake, Trevor and we always had to stop at the Vegas for breakfast to start the day!

Old 08-24-2022, 08:00 AM

BOBNCHI, my coworker here in the jail is from Antioch. We talked about "thematic" restaurants.

She recommended The Vegas Cafe, in Antioch.

I recommended The Shanty, in Wadsworth.

And thank you for sharing your story. That sounds like some great memories!

Old 08-24-2022, 02:13 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Guess where the locals of Trevor go when they want to go to the big city? You got it, Antioch!!!

I can tease a little, as I lived in Twin Lakes for a couple of years. And when we wanted to go to the big city, we went to Richmond! Lol
I rather got anywhere in Wisconsin than spending my money in Illinois.
But I admit I do go to Antioch if im desperate. lol

Old 08-24-2022, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
BOBNCHI, good morning.

I kind of figured. When I looked at the map, and saw how close Antioch was, I figured that THAT would be a nice place to go.

I understand that Trevor is also not too far from Lake Geneva, WI. I like Lake Geneva, but i understand that not everyone is a fan.
Its a Chicago hangout. Especially in the summers. This summer I took my kids to Silver Lake which is really nice.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
In the early 70s dad would take us fishing at Camp Lake, Trevor and we always had to stop at the Vegas for breakfast to start the day!
I can probably throw a rock in Camp Lake from my bedroom window. lol

Old 08-24-2022, 04:02 PM

glass_of_merlot, would you ever switch to CABERNET?!?

I like that Lake Geneva has a "Popeyes" but it's NOT the fried chicken place!

I heard of Silver Lake, but never went. I did hear it's very nice!!

Old 08-24-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
glass_of_merlot, would you ever switch to CABERNET?!?

I like that Lake Geneva has a "Popeyes" but it's NOT the fried chicken place!

I heard of Silver Lake, but never went. I did hear it's very nice!!
I drink Cab as well
Silver lake is a nice lake to go skiing, tubing and the " beach" is nice because you can walk out hundreds of feet and it doesn't get deep. So it's great for little kids and as a parent you don't have to watch them non stop.

Old 08-31-2022, 06:46 PM

33 posts, read 43,932 times
Default The Fox River Valley

Being a microcosm of the country, Illinois provides a diverse landscape that suits almost every lifestyle; from the city to the suburbs and even rural/exurban areas, there is a place for everyone. Before we talk about metro areas outside of Chicagoland, I would like to mention the Fox River Valley. Known for housing top schools, its affordability, and its 19th-century architecture: the valley is known to be one of the fastest-growing regions in the state. The urban centers of the Fox River include Elgin, Aurora, and in Wisconsin, Waukesha. These historic cities are known for their victorian mansions and 19th-century downtowns. These three cities struggled from rising crime in the 90s but have revitalized into family-oriented suburbs. Chicago and Milwaukee's urban sprawl has recently engulfed the valley with expensive new-construction homes. For example, Elgin used to have ample affordable housing for low-income residents. Fast forward today, and new construction houses and mansions are pricing even middle-class residents out of the city. Kane County is getting more expensive because the housing stock is low compared to how many people want to move here. New subdivisions are now dotting the map in the county's once rural towns to combat the growth. A place you may be able to find cheaper housing in the valley is McHenry County. My hometown, McHenry, is one of the many centers of the county (Woodstock, Cary, Fox Lake, Marengo, Johnsburg, Harvard, Crystal Lake, Lake in the Hills, Huntley, and Algonquin). This area is known for its lake-oriented vibe, which makes it feel like it could be southern Wisconsin itself. Notable lakes (and their towns) include Wonder Lake (Wonder Lake), Mccullom Lake (McHenry/Mccullom Lake), Crystal Lake and the Three Oaks Recreation Center (Crystal Lake), Lake in the Hills (Lake in the Hills), Island Lake (Island Lake), Holiday Hills (Griswold Lake), Pistakee Lake (Pistakee Highlands, Johnsburg, Fox Lake), Nipperskink Lake (Fox Lake), Fox Lake (Fox Lake), Lily Lake (Lakemoor), and FINALLY South Lake (Village of Lakewood). Notice that some of these towns have borders that expand into Lake and Kane County as well. The sprawl of Chicago has reached this county but not as much as Kane or Lake County. You can find housing under $200,000 for a family in the more exurban towns in the county such as Wonder Lake, Marengo, Harvard, etc. The only downside is the terrible taxes in the area. Kendall and Laselle county were once rural not too long ago but are in the process of mass suburbanization; which means affordable housing there is far and few in-between. Overall with a population of 1-2 million residents, the Fox River Valley is a unique region in Illinois but unfortunately went through the process of being engulfed by Chicago and Milwaukee: causing housing prices to go up in the once-affordable area. Some towns however have a lot to offer at a good price.

Last edited by FoxValleyTrotter; 08-31-2022 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: Grammer check

Old 08-31-2022, 06:49 PM

33 posts, read 43,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxValleyTrotter View Post
Being a microcosm of the country, Illinois provides a diverse landscape that suits almost every lifestyle; from the city to the suburbs and even rural/exurban areas, there is a place for everyone. Before we talk about metro areas outside of Chicagoland, I would like to mention the Fox River Valley. Known for housing top schools, its affordability, and its 19th-century architecture: the valley is known to be one of the fastest-growing regions in the state. The urban centers of the Fox River include Elgin, Aurora, and in Wisconsin, Waukesha. These historic cities are known for their victorian mansions and 19th-century downtowns. These three cities struggled from rising crime in the 90s but have revitalized into family-oriented suburbs. Chicago and Milwaukee's urban sprawl has recently engulfed the valley with expensive new-construction homes. For example, Elgin used to have ample affordable housing for low-income residents. Fast forward today, and new construction houses and mansions are pricing even middle-class residents out of the city. Kane County is getting more expensive because the housing stock is low compared to how many people want to move here. New subdivisions are now dotting the map in the county's once rural towns to combat the growth. A place you may be able to find cheaper housing in the valley is McHenry County. My hometown, McHenry, is one of the many centers of the county (Woodstock, Cary, Fox Lake, Marengo, Johnsburg, Harvard, Crystal Lake, Lake in the Hills, Huntley, and Algonquin). This area is known for its lake-oriented vibe, which makes it feel like it could be southern Wisconsin itself. Notable lakes (and their towns) include Wonder Lake (Wonder Lake), Mccullom Lake (McHenry/Mccullom Lake), Crystal Lake and the Three Oaks Recreation Center (Crystal Lake), Lake in the Hills (Lake in the Hills), Island Lake (Island Lake), Holiday Hills (Griswold Lake), Pistakee Lake (Pistakee Highlands, Johnsburg, Fox Lake), Nipperskink Lake (Fox Lake), Fox Lake (Fox Lake), Lily Lake (Lakemoor), and FINALLY South Lake (Village of Lakewood). Notice that some of these towns have borders that expand into Lake and Kane County as well. The sprawl of Chicago has reached this county but not as much as Kane or Lake County. You can find housing under $200,000 for a family in the more exurban towns in the county such as Wonder Lake, Marengo, Harvard, etc. The only downside is the terrible taxes in the area. Kendall and Laselle county were once rural not too long ago but are in the process of mass suburbanization; which means affordable housing there is far and few in-between. Overall with a population of 1-2 million residents, the Fox River Valley is a unique region in Illinois but unfortunately went through the process of being engulfed by Chicago and Milwaukee: causing housing prices to go up in the once-affordable area. Some towns however have a lot to offer at a good price.
^
In some cases, it would just probably be better to move to southern Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois