Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 01:46 PM

125 posts, read 150,076 times

Advertisements

I am wondering what the future holds for Cairo after they demolished the Elmwood and McBride public housing projects. Will the city turn into a full ghost town?

The population was around 2800 in the 2010 census.

Projections have the population at around 2000 now, but I believe that it will be lower.

What does this mean for the city and its residents/infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 10:47 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,066,660 times
I'd say that Cairo's future contains more of its past. I just watched a video of a guy (Tom V. YouTube) exploring the Cairo Southern Medical Center, abandoned in 1986. I didn't check, but I doubt if they replaced it, looked like a decent building before it was abandoned. Sooner or later, there won't be enough people living there for Cairo to be considered a "city" anymore, especially if there are no services left. The days of River Towns being fed from barge traffic are in the past - you'd think that having I-57 run nearby would add some value to the real estate, though. It is interesting to look at a map and see how built-up the land is on the Kentucky and Missouri sides of the rivers vs. the Illinois sides. Other than the prison in Marion and the University in Carbondale, where does that part of the state get its money from? Farming? Mining?

Old 03-27-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
I'd say that Cairo's future contains more of its past. I just watched a video of a guy (Tom V. YouTube) exploring the Cairo Southern Medical Center, abandoned in 1986. I didn't check, but I doubt if they replaced it, looked like a decent building before it was abandoned. Sooner or later, there won't be enough people living there for Cairo to be considered a "city" anymore, especially if there are no services left. The days of River Towns being fed from barge traffic are in the past - you'd think that having I-57 run nearby would add some value to the real estate, though. It is interesting to look at a map and see how built-up the land is on the Kentucky and Missouri sides of the rivers vs. the Illinois sides. Other than the prison in Marion and the University in Carbondale, where does that part of the state get its money from? Farming? Mining?
Truly bleak. I think the city needs to start designating buildings and places on the national register to prevent the history from getting erased.

Old 03-27-2021, 12:28 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,088 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/illi...l-lost-so.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/illi...ing-cairo.html

Old 03-27-2021, 01:35 PM

I wish there would be a future for Cairo without gentrification, but alas.
Drove through it a year and a half ago on the way back from Carbondale, the city is truly beautiful.

Old 03-29-2021, 04:41 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times
If we had any sense of priorities, Cairo's future would be full abandonment. What's left of the city's economy is based on cash transfers to its government-housed residents, and those residents and the resources spent on them can be relocated anywhere. So it's time to move them and time stop spending so much money on flood protection infrastructure for a town that's already 90+% abandoned and isolated from any meaningful financial or human capital.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:04 PM

720 posts, read 1,084,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline122 View Post
I wish there would be a future for Cairo without gentrification, but alas.
Drove through it a year and a half ago on the way back from Carbondale, the city is truly beautiful.
God forbid someone comes in and improves it...

Old 04-07-2021, 05:53 AM

6 posts, read 7,647 times
Cairo's total wealth stands at $140 billion am i right?

Old 04-15-2021, 05:42 PM

525 posts, read 718,732 times
It is really sad to see what happened to Cairo, Illinois. The city has a huge potential for rebound and to be restored with properties being on the national history register.

It would be great if someone like a philanthropist would come in and improves the city. I don't think it will ever happen because it is nearly a lost cause.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,309 times
The state government has committed current spending of about $4 million to examine the primary options for construction of a port facility there in Cairo, Illinois. The potential for another $36 million in state funds may be able to leverage either Federal funds, or private investment. Economic development professionals are assessing the potential cargo for such a port. Local and regional ag production continues to keep the processing plants active for corn and soybeans.

The community does have some treasures, in the historic Custom House and the Public Library. It takes public support though, to maintain, and staff and use these. One concern for the prospective port is a sufficiently skilled labor force. The port by itself wouldn't necessarily employ many people directly, but the businesses that would benefit from the logistics center investments are likely to need to have additional staff, and the port may stimulate and attract additional investments for the region, to utilize the public commitments to the area.

Continue to watch the news for developments related to the regional Cairo Port District new facility's plans for the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois