Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 04:42 PM

21 posts, read 60,722 times

Advertisements

I tried posting about Macomb in a previous post and no one has responded..I’ve been accepted to WIU for their music program-coming from West coast suburbs but not unfamiliar with small town living. Due to the pandemic the school has offered some classes online relevant to my field of study and I’ve had the opportunity to develop a rapport with a couple of teachers in my program. So far I really like my class and my teacher is awesome..but the more I research Macomb, the less attractive it is..It looks like a pretty town, but there isn’t much going on there..are there any cities other than Galesburg and Peoria within a commutable distance that have more going on?? I have been to Bloomington and like it, but that is too far for a daily commute or even a few days a week. I’m not trashing small towns or anything, just trying to find a livable balance. I am not looking to party but for some decent local culture,character,etc.
thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 10:41 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Nope. Unfortunately, Macomb exists in a very unenviable corner of the state, and given that cash-strapped Illinois has been struggling to support its directional schools (WIU, EIU, SIU --- I think NIU is doing a bit better) and they're seeing their enrollments crater, it's only gonna get worse from here on out. My little brother was accepted to EIU and could have gone there very cheaply as an in-state kid from the Chicago area, but he wasn't sure the school would even stay open long enough for him to graduate. (He ended up going to a significantly more expensive private school in Ohio.)

How many years is your program? Have you been accepted to any other schools? If it's a multi-year commitment and WIU is your only option, it might actually be worth sitting out for 6 months, working and refining your goals, and applying to other places so you can be in a more happening town than Macomb.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:13 AM

529 posts, read 647,382 times
Yeah Macomb is in the forgotten sector of Illinois with no interstates anywhere near there.

There are some nice towns along the Mississippi, Burlington IA is the closest and my be worth checking out, but again its pretty far from Macomb. Besides Carthage, which is really small but seems to have a nice historic look to it everywhere else is at least an hour away.

Old 02-09-2021, 11:18 AM

1,246 posts, read 823,333 times
Have you visited? Is there something unique about the academic program?

I guess I'm not understanding why you would apply to a school in a small college town if you prefer an urban environment. There are plenty of urban commuter schools out there if that's what you want.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
Yeah Macomb is in the forgotten sector of Illinois with no interstates anywhere near there.

There are some nice towns along the Mississippi, Burlington IA is the closest and my be worth checking out, but again its pretty far from Macomb. Besides Carthage, which is really small but seems to have a nice historic look to it everywhere else is at least an hour away.
Yes, I was reading about Burlington,too..would like to find out more about that as river towns are neat..wonder if it would create any residency issues even though it’s just past the state border. Thanks for your reply.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Have you visited? Is there something unique about the academic program?

I guess I'm not understanding why you would apply to a school in a small college town if you prefer an urban environment. There are plenty of urban commuter schools out there if that's what you want.
That’s a good question. I am from the West Coast but have family in Carbondale and have been wanting to go back to school after dropping out years ago due to various factors. I know the cost of living is better in the Midwest and have been planning a general move to either Kansas City,MO. or Nashville, TN. I found out during pandemic that this school offered some online classes they don’t normally offer as distance learning(for this specialized music major I’ve been interested in for sometime). I decided to check it out, but in order to do that I had to apply like a regular student. Since I’ve done that-they’ve offered a bit of financial aid and are trying to help me transfer my old credits from my other schools,etc. they won’t be offering more online classes due to improved outlook,vaccine,etc. so I’d have to make the move in order to take more classes. I feel like at my age(male in my 30s), it’s probably more important to just get the degree and take advantage of this opportunity, though I just can’t seem to shake how rural the town is..I don’t mean to sound condescending because I don’t mind smaller towns, as long as there’s some kind of art scene, local culture(besides wal mart and Applebee’s). I found out from my cousin that this program is going to be offered at Illinois State which is located in a more lively suburb. I have researched the area and it sounds like a neat place. Its still a farm town but there’s more local culture and things to do. I wish it wasn’t as far between Macomb and Bloomington as I’d just commute..looks like I need to find out more about school at ISU, now. I have yet to visit Macomb. I am single with no attachments or children.

Thanks for your replies. I guess I was just hoping there were more alternatives for living options and of course jobs.. I was also learning about Urbana and that sounds like a good match for me, but too far away. Do you know anything else about Macomb or WIU? Thank you.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Nope. Unfortunately, Macomb exists in a very unenviable corner of the state, and given that cash-strapped Illinois has been struggling to support its directional schools (WIU, EIU, SIU --- I think NIU is doing a bit better) and they're seeing their enrollments crater, it's only gonna get worse from here on out. My little brother was accepted to EIU and could have gone there very cheaply as an in-state kid from the Chicago area, but he wasn't sure the school would even stay open long enough for him to graduate. (He ended up going to a significantly more expensive private school in Ohio.)

How many years is your program? Have you been accepted to any other schools? If it's a multi-year commitment and WIU is your only option, it might actually be worth sitting out for 6 months, working and refining your goals, and applying to other places so you can be in a more happening town than Macomb.
Its basically a 4 year program that would be cut short by about a year due to credit transfer. I didn’t intend on applying to this program but they are obviously trying to get me to attend. I’ve read more about the school and there is a new student initiative underway. I see that you’re in Washington State. I wish I could afford to move there, it’s so pretty. Thanks for your reply

Old 02-10-2021, 09:36 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,713 times
I lived in a nearby surrounding town about 30 miles from Macomb, and commuted there for my masters degree. What I found there was that there is definitely a small-town college feel to WIU. Professors would regularly invite their students to their houses for gatherings, discussions, etc. and everyone got to know each other really well. This is something that I did not experience at Illinois State. At Western, you're going to get community, more attention and direction from the professors, but you will not get a lively, happening atmosphere. WIU does have a bit of a reputation as a party school, but you mentioned that you're in your 30s so that's probably not going to be what you're after. Bloomington, Galesburg, and even St. Louis are all within the 3-hour range and I'm sure if you wanted to get out for awhile you'd be able to. I guess it depends on what you value most. If it's a lively city that you're after, you might want to look elsewhere. But if you like the program and the professor, enjoy developing relationships and getting to know people well, and want to give it a try, you should look into WIU!

Old 02-11-2021, 12:14 PM

Yes, the small town vibe is appealing in many ways, not crazy about everyone knowing my business, etc. though. I definitely won’t be participating in “Greek Life” but wish there was at least a small Main Street type area to break up the monotony. Surprised the local economy hasn’t seen more development. I am also just now realizing that an older relative living closer to Macomb than my dad’s brother, in Carbondale, may expect me to help out with care.
I have an older Uncle that would expect me to help out if I lived there..it’s not that I wouldn’t drop by to visit occasionally, but I don’t want to have to commit to caring for an older relative while I’m in school. I suspect their daughter might start breathing down my neck immediately, which gives me some pause.. can I ask where you lived within 30 minutes of macomb?? I was looking at Monmouth, but that might be even smaller?

Old 02-11-2021, 01:35 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Haha - I hate to tell you but Macomb IS the "big city" in those parts. Peoria is much larger but 90 min. away...Keokuk, IA is about half the size of Macomb and is an hour away. Just look on googlemaps and you'll get a general lay of the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois