Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 09:15 PM

4 posts, read 5,700 times

Advertisements

Just want to see what people have to say here about a possible commute from Saint Charles to Rockford. I would be working in Rockford and commuting from Saint Charles. How is it during the winter? Is 90 pretty well maintained during the winter snow season? Anyone do this commute, not necessarily from Saint Charles but from that area? Geneva or even Dundee? Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 09:26 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
The only way I'd even think about it is if you live on the far west end of St. Charles and would be working on the east end of Rockford. In that scenario you might get there in under an hour if you hustle down the back roads. Double that figure if it snows. I definitely wouldn't want to add a rush hour river crossing from the east side of STC to that commute.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:06 PM

Thank you for the reply. I only ask because the job pays extremely well. I just have no desire to live in Rockford. Do you know of any towns outside of Rockford that are close and safe?

Old 11-13-2020, 10:17 PM

Depends on a few criteria such as whether you want to at least stay within arm's length of the Chicago metro area or if a small town feel is more preferable, whether schools are a concern, your budget, etc.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:24 PM

So schools aren't a concern for me. I do not have kids or a family. I do love the small town feel like Dundee and even Saint Charles, even though I assume Saint Charles is kind of bustling and maybe a bit bigger than what most call small towns. I really just want somewhere safe with a good variety of food/groceries and a place I can walk around at night without worrying. I really do not have a desire to be close to Chicago. I would like to visit, sure. But being close to the city is not a concern for me.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:44 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
I can't think of any reason why it would be problematic besides the time commitment. I would prefer to live in a place like Woodstock, Crystal Lake, or Barrington if I were working in Rockford, however.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:46 PM

Thank you for the info Hiruko. I have heard good things about Crystal Lake. I guess I will keep doing some research. I think it will also behoove me to maybe live in or close to Rockford in the meantime and maybe stay at a friend's house around the Saint Charles area a few times and test the commute. I don't mind the long commute mileage wise, the winter on I-90 in the barren areas and getting in and out of the town to get to I-90 during rush hours is what concerns me.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:28 PM

Most of the places you're contemplating or have had suggested to you are in the thick of suburbia and don't really have a "small town" feel at all with the possible exception of Woodstock. If you're looking for a town with a more pastoral feel and a decent quality of life, I'd suggest Kingston, Genoa, Marengo, maybe Sycamore if you want a bigger town with more amenities but still detached from suburbia (for now anyway, it may not be very detached 20 years from now). The towns between Rockford and Beloit are pretty decent too.

In your first post you said you don't want to live in Rockford, in your third you said it might behoove you to do so. Your first instinct was correct, you don't want to live in Rockford proper. Most of it is a post-industrial wasteland, and while some parts of it are habitable, the property taxes are outrageous even by Illinois property tax standards.

Old 11-14-2020, 07:01 AM

1,067 posts, read 916,407 times
I grew up in Rockford and a lot of family / friends still in the area so here's the quick list on Rockford:

- VERY cheap housing (but prices rising and selling fast now) and cost of living (groceries and everything else)
- Property taxes are sky high
- Great people but more of a blue collar town feel. Not the big money like Chicago suburbs.
- West side is dangerous. East side and along river are safe and rarely any problems.
- Downtown has a nice walking around area. Along State Street and downtown river walk with restaurants and breweries.

As for other areas:
- Beloit has a nice small town feel. Cool little downtown and great river walk. Diane Hendricks the billionaire keeps throwing money into this town.
- My parents say Sycamore and Elburn are the growing small towns around Rockford (but still too far drive in my book)

In summary:
- I love Rockford cause I know a lot of people there and sense of community for me. But my friends and I also make fun of Rockford cause...well...it's Rockford. But honestly most of the areas around Rockford are pretty much the same with smaller populations. Ottawa is the only town outside of Chicago where I've driven through where I was like "wow this downtown is pretty awesome!" (but that's too far of a drive). If you have a high paying job and working there everyday you can find definitely find a very nice house and area in Rockford east of the river that is safe, can walk around all hours and find plenty to do. I wouldn't count out Rockford.

Old 11-14-2020, 10:39 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,968 times
I would look at Sycamore. Smaller than St Charles, but big enough to have a fair amount of shopping/dining options. Not sure where in Rockford you'll be working, but Sycamore is only about a 30 minute drive from the eastern outskirts of Rockford. You're close enough to NIU to take regular advantage of the cultural/entertainment/sports-event opportunities, yet remote enough that you don't feel like you are living amongst a bunch of transient students. If you want to visit St Charles, its an easy 30 minute drive....or if you're so inclined, a ~90 minute bike ride down the Great Western Trail.

As for commuting in the snow, I actually prefer doing it on two-lane highways to interstates. What I find on the interstate is that inconsiderate truckers frequently blow by in the left lane that's still snow-covered, leaving a dangerous white-out in their wake that blinds everyone driving along carefully in the clear or semi-clear right lane. It's nerve wracking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois