Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2020, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 7,609 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about relocating from a big city outside the midwest, and am considering these two Illinois towns. The draws are cost of living, the perks/buzz of a university town, and a slower pace of life. I lived in Champaign as a student in the 1990s; I have never lived in BN but had friends at ISU.

I'm politically conservative but mainly keep my political views to myself. I am self-employed and work remotely and can relocate freely without a new job. I would like to go back to school and retrain in a different field in a few years, but this would involve taking classes first at the community college level (either Heartland or Parkland).

I know about the high property taxes in Illinois and have factored that in to my calculations.

Can anyone tell me why they think one town might be better than the other?

Can anyone give feedback on the quality of Parkland CC or Heartland CC?

I would like to be able to make a few friends (eventually) in this new location - how would the chances of this happening in these towns compare to a big city like Chicago or St. Louis? I liked Champaign a lot when I lived there. I did feel people there were friendlier and more sincere then they were in the big city in which I grew up, but that was a long time ago. There are both friendly and unfriendly people everywhere, but I would really like to hear some honest views on the social aspects of living in these two specific towns as a non-native.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 03:13 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
If you're looking for the perks/buzz of a university town that would appeal to someone old enough to have been in college in the 90s, Chambana is the better choice. The "grown-up" elements of university culture flow into the surrounding town in Chambana more than they do in BN which is more of a student-y college town.

Old 11-14-2020, 01:40 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,962 times
Neither is a bad choice, but I agree with Bitey that Champaign/Urbana has a different vibe. More "University Town" than "College Town," if that makes any sense. To start with, UIUC is more than twice the size if ISU. And the makeup of those student populations is quite different. While the undergrad classes at both schools predominantly come from Illinois high schools, there are probably more international students attending UIUC than out-of-state students attending ISU. Furthermore, there are ~ 4 times as many on-campus graduate students at UIUC at ISU. The result is that Champaign just has a more diverse, slightly more sophisticated feel to me. And if you haven't been here since the 90's, you'll likely be pleasantly surprised by the renaissance that downtown Champaign has experienced. It has become a hub of social activity for "adults" while the Green Street "Campustown" strip remains the social epicenter for undergraduate students.

I don't think there are any meaningful differences in quality between Parkland and Heartland.

Old 12-13-2020, 04:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,609 times
Thank you madpaddy and Bitey for these thoughtful answers, Champaign it is then.

Old 01-01-2021, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 7,302 times
You might want to consider Peoria, Illinois too. Just east of Bloomington and I’d consider it similar or better that Bloomington. Peoria isn’t a Champaign when it comes to the youthful vibe and all the places you can visit in downtown but it does have a nightlife if you know where to go and is also very diverse. Also we have wonderful trail systems here and your situated around the beautiful bluff and river. If you don’t like being in the river there is a couple streams and tons of lakes you can visit and even kayak! If your into disc golfing we have that too!

Old 01-06-2021, 08:57 PM

720 posts, read 1,083,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajustin98 View Post
You might want to consider Peoria, Illinois too. Just east of Bloomington and I’d consider it similar or better that Bloomington. Peoria isn’t a Champaign when it comes to the youthful vibe and all the places you can visit in downtown but it does have a nightlife if you know where to go and is also very diverse. Also we have wonderful trail systems here and your situated around the beautiful bluff and river. If you don’t like being in the river there is a couple streams and tons of lakes you can visit and even kayak! If your into disc golfing we have that too!
Don't do Peoria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois